"Casual" wads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yacker

Metallic
This is something I've been wondering for a while; I've never seen a "casual" (roleplay/hang out) level make it into releases on the mb. Is there some rule against it I'm missing or have there just not been any worth releasing?

Well, yeah, but srb2 hub also doubles as a...well, hub. And that was what it originated as, the casual part came in later.

So what you're looking for is a map which has no purpose at all.

What would be the point of publishing something like that?

Hangout and roleplay maps have long been discouraged in this community because they lack purpose. I think SRB2Hub counts as a roleplay map, but the reason it got through is because it's a practical tool and has good production values.

fucking ninja chaotikal neo'd me

Well, they kinda have the unwanted purpose of spawning terrible fanfictions. Serves as another reason why they're rightfully discouraged.

Casual maps could be cool if they had the right atmosphere and actual stuff to do in them. But they never do, because the only people interested in making them are the ones who don't really know how to map.

Last edited:
Well Chaotic Realms was pretty well made and had a nice feel to it. Much better than tyrcity which always bored me to tears unless it was the Halloween version.

I think it's entirely possible to make a good 'casual' map, but it requires a good amount of creativity since gimmicks and good scenery are the core of the map.

I'm still wondering why SF94-Serv never appeared on the MB. It's a well-designed addon with pleasing scenery, interesting gimmicks and a lot of places to run around doing nothing.

I never really understood the discouragement of hangout maps. It's like chatrooms, but a little more involving since it actually gives you the feeling you're talking to something more than a string of text. And if people want to spend hours doing nothing, why not?

I've played a beta of the map that Yacker is talking about, but i'm not going to spoil it.
It's basically going to be like an Adventure Field in Sonic Adventure ;) , and the stages are replaced by extra places to hang out

I think....

I'm still wondering why SF94-Serv never appeared on the MB. It's a well-designed addon with pleasing scenery, interesting gimmicks and a lot of places to run around doing nothing.

The reason for that is I updated it rather frequently for a long time. That doesn't sound like too much of an issue on its own, right?

This is the part where I mention it was around 40MB with the highest level of compression I could get my hands on, and I had a 30KB/sec upload speed (on a good day!) for a majority of its development.

The reason THAT'S a problem is because uploading the entire thing each time was painfully slow and would cripple my connection for the other 6 computers on my network that needed it. This is precisely why I only uploaded files as they were changed to my server and had an updater program/script. If it weren't for that, it would have been here for sure.

On top of that, the MB doesn't like externally hosted mods, so my options were cripple my internet on a regular basis, or keep an old version uploaded and require using the updater regardless.

Edit: In retrospect, I suppose I could have had a script server-side that would generate zips for me to upload via URL to the SRB2 MB, but I had no idea how to do that at the time, and the thought never crossed my mind.

so....sonicfreak94, is there any chance sf94 will get ported to 2.1 or even a remake? (not demanding, take all the time you need.)

If by casual you mean rpg, I accidently stumbled upon a wad when I was downloading random wads, called tyrcity. Pretty well made if you ask me.

Well, they also could be used just to mess around with debug mode and be chaotic.

For those reasons I use my own testing map. It's a semi big map with a big pool, a farm, and big mountains. The pool acts for testing stuff underwater, mountains for height stuff and the farm to test combat against enemies.

i would love to play this map you describe O_O.

I sometimes wonder if there's ever a house24.wad
last time i checked, the last one was house23-b.wad

i would love to play this map you describe O_O.

I sometimes wonder if there's ever a house24.wad
last time i checked, the last one was house23-b.wad

House has been scrapped as far as I'm aware of and the creators have moved on to other things. I had asked the creator, HyperSonicJr, if he wanted me to actually release the finished House23 but he rejected my offer and said that House had a good run and it's best to leave it alone.

Last edited:
How is that a shame? The WAD was a slime trail/HoM fest with terribly editted content from the main game stuck into it for no real reason at all. And don't get me started with that horrendous apartment and Emerald City levels.

Honestly, I'm starting to question your tastes. One of the reasons why SRB2 Hub got through while tyrcity, house23 and the like didn't is because the authors weren't even remotely trying to make it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back