• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Riddle Me This, Eggman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kineso Naranja

Angel's Crevice Soldier
What do you get when you take a programmer, a mapper, a few sprite artists, a little creative help from all around, and put it together?

EGGMANWAY 5 + ENCORE
That's right.
The new, improved, and remade Eggmanway 5 is nearly finished and here.
And this time, it's coming packaged with the unlockable "Encore mode", adding three new zones and a whole new boss the likes of which you've never faced before.

And, get this, cutscenes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHTJ72Q-P3U
That's right, an in-game cutscene in SRB2.

How much does something this spectacular cost?
$99.99?
$599.99?!?!
A WHOLE BARREL OF OATS?!
Wrong, I tell you, wrong!
You can get it for free this winter. EMW5+Encore will be available this winter, so stay tuned!

[NOTE: Eggmanway5+Encore will -only- be for 1.09.4 ; it will not work with 2.0, and don't ask when it will be. It ain't. Eggmanway5+Encore may cause side effects of nostalgia, swearing at the enemy AI, and running like the dickens from deathballs. People using SRB2 Mystic Edition should not look directly at or play EMW5+Encore]

You're not converting this to v2.0? That just seems downright lazy.
Anyways, this really doesn't look interesting at all.
Cutscenes are nothing but a giant waste of time, and the level design doesn't look good. It appears to be a bunch of mostly flat hallways with minimal jumping, little room, and not many gimmicks to spice up the gameplay.

Last edited:
Just want to make this clear, I'm not the creator, I just work on the development team.
Moving on though, it's not out of being lazy. It's that changing it to the new version would mess with the programming and SOCs already in place, and there just isn't much to gain out of it as far as we can see. That and EMW5 has it's own approach to Match that is very different from 2.0's

Also if you want to make your verdict after seeing only two short cutscenes about them being a "giant waste of time", go ahead, you're allowed to jump to conclusions and have your own opinion.

Just want to make this clear, I'm not the creator, I just work on the development team.
I don't see what point you're trying to prove.

Second off, it's not out of being lazy. It's that changing it to the new version would mess with the programming and SOCs already in place, and there just isn't much to gain out of it as far as we can see.
Well, it does have things to gain, because you're forcing people to download and old, outdated version of the game just because you don't want to convert anything to the more stable and updated one that just about everyone uses. And, we can play online, which is a big advantage.

That and EMW5 has it's own approach to Match that is very different from 2.0's
What's different?

Also if you want to make your verdict after seeing only two short cutscenes about them being a "giant waste of time", go ahead, you're allowed to jump to conclusions and have your own opinion.
Cutscenes are completely unnecessary, and in your mod, they go very slowly. SRB2 doesn't need any kind of fancy cutscenes or dialogue simply because it isn't a game programmed to have anything beyond a basic set of images.
I've been looking at your cutscenes, and damn, they're boring, and it takes too long just for characters to stand up.

I don't see what point you're trying to prove.

I have a point to prove? I just wanted to get that point across is all.

Well, it does have things to gain, because you're forcing people to download and old, outdated version of the game just because you don't want to convert anything to the more stable and updated one that just about everyone uses. And, we can play online, which is a big advantage.

We're not forcing anyone to download anything. If you wanna play it, just get the old version. If that doesn't interest you or you don't wanna bother, don't get it. Simple as that. And so what if it's old and outdated? New doesn't always mean better. The point is we're not telling you to do anything. We're presenting you with the chance to play it. No one is going to shoot you if you don't.

What's different?

Watch the Deathmatch Promo for EMW5 and you'll see.

Cutscenes are completely unnecessary, and in your mod, they go very slowly. SRB2 doesn't need any kind of fancy cutscenes or dialogue simply because it isn't a game programmed to have anything beyond a basic set of images. I've been looking at your cutscenes, and damn, they're boring, and it takes too long just for characters to stand up.

You're the first person that seems to complain about them being slow OR boring. It's just a short break between levels. Plus, maybe SRB2 doesn't need cutscenes, but Eggmanway5 is a bit more story influenced than vanilla-SRB2 is. That doesn't mean it's better or worse, it just has a bit more of a story involved.

The point is, you'll have your opinion, and by all means stick to it. But some people like what EMW5 will have, so they'll enjoy it. It seems that you won't. There's nothing wrong with that, that's just how it is.

We're not forcing anyone to download anything. If you wanna play it, just get the old version. If that doesn't interest you or you don't wanna bother, don't get it. Simple as that. And so what if it's old and outdated? New doesn't always mean better. The point is we're not telling you to do anything. We're presenting you with the chance to play it. No one is going to shoot you if you don't.

"We're not forcing you to do it" is really a bad excuse.
Outside of the multiplayer (if you know how to code, you can just edit the new srb2win.exe and put it in), there's no reason to download and old and outdated version of the game that's been heavily improved upon.

I'm not making an excuse. I'm just telling you how it is. We're not going to make our mod for a version we don't support, especially when it will break what we have so far.

Simple as that. If you don't like that, I don't know what to tell you. Don't play the mod if you don't want to get 1.09.4 or you don't have interest in it.

Why does this feel more of a release than a beta?

Anyway, I agree with Kyasarin, Cutscenes don't add anything to the gameplay, and only make the mod drag on more than it should. No one will want to downgrade to 1.09.4 just to play a mod which might not even be worth their time, and from what I've seen so far, there isn't anything interesting about the levels. No gimmicks, Flat open areas, and look more like thok feast levels than anything else.

Have you played any version of Eggmansway before? The levels are big and hard, and has a ton of bosses everywhere. And they aren't simple Eggmobile recolors with the speed up, all bosses have something hard and creative. A boss' epicness starts going up as you meet new ones.

Also, if this was a weak level pack with tiny SOCs, then it would of been converted to 2.0 once it came out. The sole reason that it isn't being converted is because all bosses have custom SOCs. I assure you, you'll love this mod once it's released.

That all depends on the way you look at it.

I understand how this works though. If it's working just fine on the version they're using, I don't think they'd want to have to port everything over. I mean, that would be a LOT of work. I ended up just starting my mod from scratch when going over to 2.0, because porting it would've been too much.

Like CZ64 said, I know I'll love it once it's released. I've known about Eggmanway5 for months now, seeing old topics, hearing all the excitement over it, and seeing many (just about all) of Skornedemon/Shadow's videos, and I REALLY love it. I've been hoping and hoping for it to be released, but it sure relieves me to learn that it's coming this Winter :). Trust me, I'm pretty sure it's not just some weak-socced level pack, just watch more of the videos.

Regardless of how great or how bad it is, there should still be some kind of proof that you are actually working on this, like screenshots.

Screenshots? There's a crapload of videos on Youtube if you bothered to click the link up there. That's better than screenshots.

Screenshots? There's a crapload of videos on Youtube if you bothered to click the link up there. That's better than screenshots.
Oh, I didn't look at related videos. I tend to think that the linked video(s) should showcase the main points of a WAD.

Last edited:
Have you played any version of Eggmansway before? The levels are big and hard, and has a ton of bosses everywhere. And they aren't simple Eggmobile recolors with the speed up, all bosses have something hard and creative. A boss' epicness starts going up as you meet new ones.

From what I've seen in the videos, the level design isn't interesting at all. It appears either cramped or very plain.
I think the cutscene idea isn't really good because, as Kyasarin said, they go way too slow.
Also, some areas appear to be far too dark.

But in the case of SRB2, it definitely does.

No, it doesn't. Maybe we don't want everyone to be bright colors for match, or we don't like the new Match system.

From what I've seen in the videos, the level design isn't interesting at all. It appears either cramped or very plain.
I think the cutscene idea isn't really good because, as Kyasarin said, they go way too slow.
Also, some areas appear to be far too dark.

The cutscenes are sorta just to show that it CAN be done. You know, a tech demo? It's an extra 60 seconds added to your overall game time, so just deal with it. This isn't going to be Metal Gear Solid 4-Syndrome. Also, if you know anything about the Eggmanway series, some areas are dark or rather plain, because many levels are focused on just running through, you know, like you would if you were a blue, super-fast hedgehog or similar speedy critter.

Well, since this IS gonna be for 1.9.4, are you guys gonna modify a EXE so that it will show up on the MS?

That...really isn't my department. I don't see that happening, to be honest. Eggmanway has always been focused on groups getting together and playing (usually with light roleplaying involved), but this new version is going to have an expanded single player and Match, and not be so co-op heavy, so I'm not sure. That's a good question to ask Shadow, honestly. I'm sure he'll answer any of your questions on his Youtube channel, SkorneDemon.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. There have only been two successful team projects for SRB2, which would be SRB2 riders and SRB2 itself. What makes you think yours will be any different?

I don't like the whole "I'm just a lowly team member" thing. I've said it myself, and it only amounts to shrugging off responsibility. A certain amount a humility is necessary, sure, but in order to actually help the project you've got to have just as much passion for it as everyone else.

NOTE: Eggmanway5+Encore will -only- be for 1.09.4 ; it will not work with 2.0, and don't ask when it will be. It ain't.

Be prepared for disappointment when you guys find out that servers running 1.09.4 are banned from the MS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back