File Size!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tacotaco

Can it possibly be made a bit smaller?????
47 MB is a bit too big for my poor 56.6K connection! *sniff* :x

Considering commercial demos are now 200mb+, I don't think 47mb is asking for much.

I'm still amazed that people put up with such hugely sized games. I haven't dealt in any commercial games for awhile, and when I found out a few months ago that a single game lacking in both the replayability and editability of, say, SRB2, takes up more size than all my SRB2 stuff (old demos, old wads, development materials), I thought it had to be a joke.

My point, I suppose, is that commercial games have gone to hell and SRB2 should not be taking cues from them. 47.8 MB for a demo is very big.

It's called "bloat", a441. Nowadays, developers simply don't worry about keeping filesize small. Since hard drives are insanely large and broadband is common, they just don't worry about it anymore. Most commercial games take up over a gigabyte now. I personally don't care much, since after all, if they take less time to make it small, they can spend that time doing other things or releasing the game early. The only bad thing about it is for downloads and for small hard drives.

Do note, though: Most commercial games support mods, a441. The reason is obvious: Counterstrike. Counterstrike kept Half-Life alive and well years after its release, and is still alive today. Considering Half-Life is over 5 years old, that's pretty damn impressive. A developer nowadays would have to be insane not to support mods of some nature in a new release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back