SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2017   #1
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Default What song makes you feel really strange?

I've been listening to a lot of Aphex Twin lately, and I've found that most of his stuff makes me feel... odd. This odd feeling is very deeply affecting, and it gets under my skin in ways other music doesn't. I'll feel happy but uncomfortable and kind of depressed at the same time. There's a lot of beauty in his music, but a lot of tension and it can really dig out some unfamiliar emotions. So I ask you, fellow SRB2 players, what song(s) make you feel real uncomfortable?

I'll post 2 supreme examples from my end: the classic "Rhubarb" by Aphex Twin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AWIqXzvX-U

And "Everything You Do Is A Balloon" by Boards of Canada (another group who masters this feeling):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQEmaj9C6ko

The songs you post don't have to have the feeling I'm describing exactly, they just have to make you feel weird in a particular way. Not outright disgusted or sad, but just... off. In other words, I want to hear your uncanny valley of music!

Last edited by Ice; 04-04-2017 at 04:13 AM.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #2
Ritz
cornstar

The weird:
Yoshinori Sunaraha - Swing the Clipper gives me vertigo.

The bass in 808 State - Quincy's Lunch is like a deep brain massage. It's my personal i-Jammer.

Palais Schaumburg - Easy Go
seems to have been composed in the most inappropriate key imaginable for a pop song. Can't tell what the hell I'm supposed to feel or think about it. Most unnerving thing I could dance to.

The moody:
ELO - When Time Stood Still: Despite the earmarks of a garden variety pop ballad, that bootleg demo track recording of reverb-tinged 80s wall of sound production vibe, with the lyrics in the context of the album's narrative- it's just one the most profoundly isolating songs I've ever heard.

Same sound with The Beach Boys - Feel Flows, which is half cheating because I'll always know it as the credits song for Almost Famous, being one of the most effective audio cues ever. Still my go-to song for mental sublimation.

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - A Tomb All Your Own works too. Dude's the king of the 8-track mastered jam session.

The angry:
Battles - My Machines is engineered to get me fucking pumped. It's like the eroticism of a motorcycle engine revving up turned into music with the most mathematical rhythm.

I was thinking about this all night at a time when I really needed to just reflect and decompress, so thanks for the welcome distraction
Old 04-04-2017   #3
RomioTheBadass
Right there, Criminal Scum!

Sonic Emerald Quest - Underwater. Catchy.
Old 04-04-2017   #4
Yoshirocks90
The Cold-Loving Hedgehog

I feel both happy and sad at the same time while listening to the Detention Center Theme from Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations and Won the Lawsuit! from Ace Attorney: Justice For All.
Yoshirocks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #5
Torgo
Developer

Skullmonkeys - Little Bonus Room - This tune is featured in the platformer sequel to The Neverhood. It is kinda creepy, but mostly hilarious. If you like earthworm jim games, the creator Doug tennapel worked on this game, so it has a very Earthworm Jim feel to it.
Old 04-05-2017   #6
Shane
Has no life for Hardware.
Developer

This gives me the strangest [expletive].
Old 04-05-2017   #7
MarioFreak2001
The Cyan Knux

Throw it all away Theme of Shadow.
Sounds kind of strange...
Old 04-07-2017   #8
Steelie
hakuna matata..?

This series of videos by Kings of Leon:

Waste a Moment
Find Me
Reverend

Basically, some of the most soothing pop rock I've ever heard along with a music video plot that looks like Stranger Things and Doctor Who had a lovechild? There's no way anyone can not feel baffled watching it.

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017   #9
Dumi

If this counts, I'd have to say the entirety of Garage Bad Dream Adventure.
Everything about it is so surreal with a dreamy atmosphere, yet somewhat scary...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0lyUaaSM5E
Old 07-02-2017   #10
Critical v5.2
Certified: Socially Awkward

Most forms of vaporwave. Mainly Blank Banshee. Though most of the work from BB0 was based on actual 80's songs, BB was able to edit it in such a way to make it mesmerizing and almost euphoric.

(That and maybe "Everything in Its Right Place by Radiohead).