• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Playable Sonic by r543

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he does have a point about everyone doing the work for r543 though. That seems to be a common trend everywhere these days, and it's getting out of hand.

Tch, that trend should be infracted on sight. It's already annoying. Let the OP (of any thread in Editing) do his work without yourselves butting in like that.

For crying out loud, let the author make the wad and make criticism to help HIM improve on the character, don't flat out give him a new sprite, let him do it with help from criticism that we make here.

And yes, the wad looks good so far, I see nothing wrong with the character until now.

I agree with this move, however I do think that it should be a choice sort of thing. If the poster of the project wishes to receive help from an individual, then that, and only that, individual should have the right to show an example. Not making the sprite for him/her, but simply showing what should be done.

As for this sprite itself, I find these sprites looking good, but as stated earlier not really fitting for SRB2.

I agree with this move, however I do think that it should be a choice sort of thing. If the poster of the project wishes to receive help from an individual, then that, and only that, individual should have the right to show an example. Not making the sprite for him/her, but simply showing what should be done.

Finally someone said it. Some times people won't know how to exactly explain what should be done in a sprite, and it's just much easier to demonstrate it. Not to mention the reason I edited the sprite for r543 was because he did ask for my help in the IRC, and so he wanted to use my edit as a guide for the rest of the sprites. I even kept it kind of simple compared to how my work usually is, just so he wouldn't get himself lost into too many details.

As for this sprite itself, I find these sprites looking good, but as stated earlier not really fitting for SRB2.

Ahh, yes, good point. I didn't... truly make the sprite, but I could've just kinda... told him what he did wrong.
... I guess its because of the way I responded to Larztard though. Eh, I'll try harder with this thing we call "Conduct".

Ahh, yes, good point. I didn't... truly make the sprite, but I could've just kinda... told him what he did wrong.
... I guess its because of the way I responded to Larztard though. Eh, I'll try harder with this thing we call "Conduct".

You are the one who made yourself make the sprite not me. Don't blame me for anything. I'm only here stating my honest opinions about the whole project.

You are kinda bashing.
See, the thing about sprite making is, you need criticism. Which is why these sprites still look crappy. Honestly, I could do better, but that doesn't mean you see me pissing all over his work. He has gotten criticism, but, its all shit in the end :P. And yes, the debate thing is sorta... misplaced, but this IS a modern sonic was thread.
Also, calm down. Give him less BS criticism and he'll give you less BS sprites.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

3zjzP5M.png

Boom
I didn't want to use the super bright color because it doesn't work well with this sonic, modern sonic is a bit darker and the first few shades of blue wouldn't work.
I like the shoes but they wouldn't work with this artstyle of my sonic, so I'm going to keep it like it is, I don't want to start over with the sprites for the 20th time.

And for anyone asking about the outlines:
This had outlines at some point but I removed it because it didn't work well with the new shading update. There are outlines around it with a darker color than what's in the inside(outline is lighter on light parts and darker on dark parts), but I don't think that a real outline would work well with this.

And if you want to know why I'm doing a modern sonic:
Doing Fancharacters(I don't have one, so no idea for that) is probably a bad idea.
Sonic is a bit overdone but there is no real "modern" one, everyone takes the classic body as base, even for other characters, so my idea is to create one with modern look so that we can have characters that use the modern body/shape of the characters.

And I'm back. You might noticed it but I was away for a long time from the srb2 community(mostly because I didn't have time), but I want to continue this.
O8KHREC.png

Here is a little update, almost all of the idle sprites are done, walking/running isn't going to take forever because I know a way to save half of the work.

Like i told you on the IRC, I'm really happy you are continuing with this. but something about the side frame in that set looks strange. i think it has to do with how much the blue area overlaps the eyes. Maybe you could "push it in" abit? I also notice that the center spike doesnt curve downwards enough. Might want to look into that.

Last edited:
And I'm back. You might noticed it but I was away for a long time from the srb2 community(mostly because I didn't have time), but I want to continue this.
O8KHREC.png

Here is a little update, almost all of the idle sprites are done, walking/running isn't going to take forever because I know a way to save half of the work.
Wow, that's amazing i can't wait for more!

mfVJUMJ.png

Finished Idle sprites ! I tried to fix the eyes but it would only look more strange. The spike is like that on the unleashed model, the one in the middle doesn't go down by much, if you compare it to the other idle frames you can see it's on the same height.

On the full-side sprite, the mouth shouldn't be that far back. Also, don't just have the mouth on one side. Make it go on whichever side is facing the camera.

It doesn't looks bad, but the shading looks very weak right now. If anything, I recommend applying some anti aliasing to it.

It doesn't looks bad, but the shading looks very weak right now. If anything, I recommend applying some anti aliasing to it.
I'm sorry but I don't like the extra pixels, which are used for the srb2 player sprites, so I'll keep it like this(the enemies/most wads don't have the antialiasing so it shouldn't be too bad). I had to remove one shade of blue because I was using 2 different palettes for some reason, but that extra shade was only used for the anti aliasing effect of the lightest blue shade.

On the full-side sprite, the mouth shouldn't be that far back. Also, don't just have the mouth on one side. Make it go on whichever side is facing the camera.
I'm trying to add all 8 frames for this, so every animation looks right. I know that generations moves the mouth so you always see it in the camera but I don't want that effect so I'm keeping it on one side.

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to know that people still watch this topic.

The feet look odd, since they're drawn at foot level rather than at camera level (they should look more like this, only for the front and diagonal front frames though). The spikes also could use some smoothing or something to make them look less jagged, on the side frame. Aside from that, this is by far the best Modern Sonic I've ever seen in SRB2, and I wish you the best of luck!

...I have to ask, though, did you use a 3D model as a guide? This looks incredible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back