• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

My midis won't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazingPhoenix

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm trying to make a music wad, but I don't know the lump names and I keep getting this error:
Code:
File is corrupt or has been modified: C:\Sonic Robo Blast 2\srb2.srb
(\x35\x5F\xE7\xC6\x32\x82\xF5\xA9\xF7\x27\xE0\x39\x1B\xB4\x17\xD1)

also could someone tell me the music lumps?

You cannot edit srb2.srb, this error will appear, make a new wad and edit that.

anyway, the name of the lumps that you use for music are named by the musicslot that they take, E.G gfz1 O_MAP01M, if you make a music wad that has that lump in it, you'll replace gfz1 music, there is also O_MAP02M and it gos all the way to O_MAP09M, there is also empty slots available, like O_MAP06M and O_MAP10M.

Later slots are named differently, super sonic music is O_SUPERS and invincible is O_INVINC, try to avoid using existing slots for new music.
http://www.sepwich.com/foxboy/Srb2World/text/newmapheaders.html

you can find a list there.

And to fix that error just reinstall SRB2, and make a backup of gamedata.dat, unless you want to lose all the secrets that you have unlocked.

My Midis won't work! I tried naming one, o_invinc and I hit an Invincibility box, and the music wouldn't play :( maybe it's a bug?

EDIT TOPIC TITLE

Are you running it with the -nodigmusic parameter or something? If so, no wonder they don't work - if that was chosen, it'd default to looking for D_INVINC instead (which is where the MIDI files are usually located)...

A MIDI *will* play, however, for a slot in which an OGG doesn't exist, but a MIDI does, whether you have -nodigmusic or not.

I also can't remember, but there may be some way to 'force midi' now... not sure if that was ever added.

I tried playing with digital music on, but the midi wouldn't play :( are you sure SSN?

also what's the title screen music lump?

Why are you using a MIDI? Why not convert it to an OGG or something? MIDIs are somewhat painful to listen to.

FoxBlitzz said:
Why are you using a MIDI? Why not convert it to an OGG or something? MIDIs are somewhat painful to listen to.

Because the only S3, or S&K songs I could find, were midis :(
wait.....does SRB2 support .rm's?

Don't look too hard, do you?

Try using Audacity. It's small, free, and works like a charm for converting midis to oggs.

FoxBlitzz said:
MIDIs are somewhat painful to listen to.
There are some GREAT remedies for that:
1) Get a better sound card. A Sound Blaster Live!, at least, should work well. I personally use a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, but that's mostly for gaming, and as far as MIDIs are concerned, there's no real difference between it and the aforementioned Live!.
2) Don't listen to BAD MIDI files, just good ones. (And there are some REAL impressive ones out there... well, at least on VGMusic. :P)

Anyway, converting to OGG is a really lousy idea. Tremendous increase in file size, no increase in file quality. Keeping it MIDI is the way to go, unless we're going to go rectify that latter qualm with soundfonts or something. (SynthFont works pretty nicely, in that regard.)

Just means you need to tinker with some of the Soundfont settings. I use 8MBGSFX E-mu Rev B, personally, which comes with the sound card (or should); I think it defaults to the 4MB one, which isn't as good.

Just go to the SoundFont Bank Manager (should be in the Creative folder on the Start menu), click the word "Bank", locate 8MBGSFX.sf2 (try looking around C:\Program Files\Creative\), replace whatever's loaded with it, and use that instead. Also, if you want, you can hunt down better soundfonts and use those in addition; often times to some interesting results.

Well, duh, of course FMod doesn't support .rm. It's not a media standard. Good luck finding something other than the crappy Real Player that plays it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back