SRB2: Special Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Velocity
Sorry, I had to remove the download links because the source code link wasn't working. (The license SRB2 is under forbids binary distribution without having the source code accessible)

This is an EXE mod that I've been working on for a while.
Basically, it has just a few extra features to spice up SRB2 and to make it more enjoyable. It does have some really neat features, so if you've been bored with SRB2 lately, perhaps you'd like to try this out.
Also, please note that this uses a fairly recent subversion copy, so it has all of the features that have been on the svn lately. (as of original posting date)
That includes all the new bugs that may have been created in that version as well.

List of Features
Color-based names - Basically, your name is the color of your player. Any color works.
Timelight - This will change the brightness of the current level based on the time of day. Best of all, it's a console variable, so you're welcome to turn it off/on whenever.
Showhits - Basically, if you turn it off, you won't see any "(player) was hit by (player)" or "(player) fell into a bottomless pit." This would probably be great for a lot of situations, most notably when you're getting annoyed of seeing many hit messages clutter up the console.
Springfactor - Controls the amount of force with which springs propel you.
Splitscreen works in netplay without causing consistency failures when the splitscreen player leaves the game.
gr_skyfloors (For OpenGL only) - if enabled, floors are not rendered. Note that this will not work properly on non-open air levels, so I wouldn't recommend using it there.
gr_torch (For OpenGL only) - Added at the request of light dasher, still needs some work, though.

I would like to point out first, though, that since this is a work-in-progress, a lot of things still need more testing before they can be considered "complete." That's where you come in. You can test this, and hopefully provide feedback in order to make it better. In fact, you could even suggest features if you want to. I'm pretty much open to ideas, so whatever you want to suggest, (as long as it's not completely absurd) go ahead.

Words cannot explain how awesome this EXE mod is. The only gripe though I had is with the camera. Is it possible to make the camera act in a way that's similar to the way it worked in the initial release of 1.09.4? It seems to go faster in this.

This is ok, though seems kinda pointless. :/ Though it would be nice if some of these features were implented into the real srb2.

I like the idea... but it just isn't 'spicy' enough. You only have a few things... and although they're very nice things, it isn't enough spice to add any true flavor to this EXE.

Also, the timelight thing sucks in OpenGL (as in, it's too dark to see ANYTHING (didn't try software)).

Segmint said:
I like the idea... but it just isn't 'spicy' enough. You only have a few things... and although they're very nice things, it isn't enough spice to add any true flavor to this EXE.
I'd have to agree with you there, to tell you the truth. :P I have been trying to think of new ideas for this recently, but since I wasn't able to come up with much, I decided to post here so that perhaps others could suggest some ideas.
If you happen to have any ideas for features or suggestions on how to make this better, that would be great.

Segmint said:
Also, the timelight thing sucks in OpenGL (as in, it's too dark to see ANYTHING (didn't try software)).
I'd also have to agree with this, too. Timelight is still a work-in-progress, and I really haven't tested it thoroughly...
In the current beta, light starts at 7:00 AM and ends at 7:00 PM, and this is fixed throughout the year. Now, obviously, this isn't going to be right all the time, but it will be a little bit complicated to make it work for the whole year, so I've kind of put it off.
Also, as I have noticed too, the minimum brightness probably does need to be increased, so I will probably do that.

Thanks for your feedback.

on Edge said:
Timelight turns everything black while the sun is still shining. >>
Ryan said:
In the current beta, light starts at 7:00 AM and ends at 7:00 PM, and this is fixed throughout the year. Now, obviously, this isn't going to be right all the time, but it will be a little bit complicated to make it work for the whole year, so I've kind of put it off.
I'm going to work on this soon, though, don't worry.

Heh, two of the things you've said that this exe does I've been trying to program in my exe too....

So um...where's the source code for this?

You beat me to a release! D:
Does timelight change the skies like TIMEOFDAY does?
Edit: Also, DashFox poses a good question. You have to either include the code with a release or have it uploaded where people can get it, such as the SVN.
I like the idea of the colored names, but a feature I'd much rather have is showing player names when you're pointing at them. :P

Resourse wads are bad. They are unneded most of the time, and the creators through things in for the heck of it. <.<

This is awesome. I typed timelight 3, hit a spring, and cleared half the level. The movement feels looser than usualy though. Is it? Also, Eggman doesn't flash. That kinda takes out the classic feel.

In the most recent SRB2109 revision, the camera is a little different and I guess Eggman is bugged right now. I'm not sure why the camera is different, but people keep constantly complaining to me about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back