Suggestions

I'm new here, but I've got some skills with Doom myself. I'm not sure what Doom engine you're using, but I can tell that in Z/GZdoom (Doom in Hexen) you have a linedef 181 to slope floors and ceilings to the nearest sector. Can be useful for creating loops. You have support for floor shadows, dynamic lights etc etc. Sorry if this is unneeded info, but what can I do as a new person? :D Cool game btw.
This isn't ZDoom. This is actually created from Doom Legacy: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/

It is a very dated engine but considering the age of the project it's just not worth it to switch to a more modern engine because of the effort in porting all the material over. It doesn't support skyboxes, slopes, and many of the features ZDoom has, but it does make doing 3D blocks very easy.

Hey, here's an idea from my scattered brain: How about a level progress map like in Sonic 3D Blast?(like this) I could make one if you like the idea.

Last edited:
Don't host it on a downloading site. Host it on an image host. It's much more convenient.
I don't see a point of a progress map.

Why should we have one? We don't need much of a sign that the bright and cheery Zone is the first one and the dark and gloomy one is the final one.

A way to use a third texture for Mario Blocks (hit texture is the Middle?)

Last edited:
New Gametype - Domination: There are various points among the map and the two teams must find and control each point while duking it out to earn points. If one team controls all the points before the timer ends, that team wins.

Payload - Gametype. When players are near a Payload-type Thing, it moves between waypoints (which can trigger linedefs when it enters sectors with Payload Thing triggers). The more players around it, the faster it'll go, and it'll slowly add rings to your ring count. When it reaches the final waypoint, it triggers a linedef (which the creator of the map can do whatever he/she pleases with), and ends the level, with the advancing team winning. Game ends with the suppressing team winning if time runs out.

DISCO - Header option. Makes every enemy disco themed, adds a fro object on players heads similar to how the old Cape did, and every Eggman appearance is replaced with him in a Fro, and a Discomobile. And every colormap is a rapidly blinking rainbow colormap.

Last edited:
This game really doesn't need it. So far only 2 Sonic Games have used this. Sonic 1 Game Gear/SMS and 3D Blast Saturn/PC.

New Gametype - Domination: There are various points among the map and the two teams must find and control each point while duking it out to earn points. If one team controls all the points before the timer ends, that team wins.
Domination is an insanely fun gametype in Unreal Tournament, but I'm not sure it would translate well to SRB2. CTF bases are already almost impossible to defend, and those usually are in dead ends.

Isn't there a domination mode in Star Wars Battle front? There are check points all over the map and you have to turn it into your color.

I'd be more for it if the "domination points", for lack of better description right now, moved around the map, but that would require modification to existing maps or making AI from scratch, and frankly I can't see anyone going through that kind of trouble for a gametype nobody really asked for in the first place. If you ask me, you'd be better off making something of a more Oddball-based gametype, wherein you collect an object to gain points over time and do everything in your power to prevent anyone else getting it. At least that way the running part of the game would actually get some use.

Well, until the bastard chickens out and starts hiding in corners, but an omnipresent marker revealing the location of the object carrier could easily solve that.

Think about all the stuff I did in CTF to make defense remotely possible. That's why Domination and other similar gametypes just don't really work in SRB2.

Add a var2 to A_OldRingExplode that lets you control the radius of the explosion, with zero defaulting to what it is right now, and -1 removing the despawn point all together.

Make an SOC action that restores the revenant chase that was used by detons back in Demo 4, using the variables to choose whether it chases its target or tracer, and to determine the rate of acceleration.

But most importantly, we need an SOC editor that can access MF2, and that doesn't crash because it can't read all the data on certain objects.

Moving away from SOC, in team match and CTF, maybe add ring count and current shield/status(speed shoes, invincibility) of the members of your team to the tab display. This would go hand-in-hand with the ability to see the names of your teammates by having the cursor over them, which would allow for better cooperation, more intelligent flag toss decisions, and encourage the use of ring transfer.

EDIT: I knew I was forgetting something. Shufflarb2 had several SOC actions like A_RailRing and A_Teleport that were pretty useful, and I think the rest of them should get ported like A_RemoteAction was.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back