[Open Assets] S_RiddleJungle.wad - Horror, suspense and exploration

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

The guy of horror maps.
I proudly present here the mod of horror, suspense and exploration Riddle Jungle!

You are exploring an old place called Riddle Jungle that is divided into 2 parts: Riddle Jungle and Las Cruces.
The native population of Riddle Jungle was decimated for unknown reasons. You will explore the place and find out what has happened in the past.

- The mod is divided into 9 maps. Only 7 of them are part of the campaign (7 CHAPTERS).

CHAPTER 0 - Starting Zone
CHAPTER 1 - The Beginning
CHAPTER 2 - Entering Baphomet's Castle
CHAPTER 3 - The Ending...?
CHAPTER 4 - Explore Las Cruces
CHAPTER 5 - The Apocalypse
CHAPTER 6 - El Infierno's Mansion
CHAPTER 7 - Welcome to Tierra De Dios
BONUS MAP - Ethereal Garden

Notes:

- If text is not displaying, try pressing F3 or using "SHOWHUD ON". Use headphones and don't disable audio for complete experience;

- It must be played in SinglePlayer mode. Some MAPs may not work properly in MultiPlayer mode;

- Press F1 to display the map with Precious Stones locations from CHAPTER 1;

- There are some easter eggs around. Score boxes can also be considered as collectible.

- Some maps are openworld and free to exploration.

Complete gameplay by Chaotic Chao 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y6XV9d8YQ4

Attachments

• CHAPTER 1.png
    CHAPTER 1.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 891
  • CHAPTER 1-.png
    CHAPTER 1-.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 763
  • CHAPTER 2.png
    CHAPTER 2.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 750
  • CHAPTER 2-.png
    CHAPTER 2-.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 770
  • CHAPTER 2--.png
    CHAPTER 2--.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 721
  • CHAPTER 4.png
    CHAPTER 4.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 683
  • CHAPTER 6.png
    CHAPTER 6.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 635
  • CHAPTER 6-.png
    CHAPTER 6-.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 621
  • FINAL CHAPTER.png
    FINAL CHAPTER.png
    173.2 KB · Views: 817
  • FINAL CHAPTER-.png
    FINAL CHAPTER-.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 814
  • Starting Zone.png
    Starting Zone.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 714
  • S_RiddleJungle.zip
    41.7 MB · Views: 1,681
Last edited:
Holy bad framerate, Batman. I get that you wanted a big open space to explore but you went really overboard, chapter 1 is damn near unplayable. There's a few other things to say about the chapter 1 map (the emerald that's supposedly at the temple with the four blue springs isn't actually there at all, and you can get trapped in the mansion because some of the room transitions don't work) but that framerate, dude.

I just wanna say, Please consider using Solid Midtexture flag instead of making linedefs completely impassable for fences, It would make navigating the map less awkward.

Last edited:
The emerald in the temple with the four blue springs is actually there. You must find the trigger to open that temple. And the room transitions in the mansion works fine. I've played it many times online with friends and we did it with no problems (only the lag issues).
Now about the fences, I will fix it in a near update.

All in all the parts of the story that were playable (due to the very severe framerate issues in two maps) were pretty nice, not without few visual glitches though.

While some of these are possibly caused by the engine itself due to large levels or slopes/sectors with many sides (they still look kinda annoying), some could probably be fixed, since some heavily sloped areas have rather large cracks that let you see sky textures and/or other sectors through them.

Along with the GFZ textures around oil spills in the mansion, and the "fire" map objects in the skybox appearing half covered by the sky itself (all this in OGL at least).

And yeah, impassable air above fences is quite annoying, though I can confirm too that the mansion has working transitions.

Welp, I found out what I was supposed to do inside the mansion. I take back the comment about the room transitions.

I still maintain the framerate is disgusting, and asking people to find a hidden button in that huge-ass map that can't keep a stable two-digit FPS unless you're staring at a wall is seriously mean.

Welp, I've just finished the main campaign. Aside from the destructive visual glitches and the crippling framerate, everything seems to be working as intended. I like that you encouraged exploration with the stone placement in Chapter 1, but the glitches really hinder navigation and should be fixed as soon as possible.

While I like the idea of a mystery-like level pack, you've got to keep in mind that mystery stories need to be consistent and have a solid ending. The first chapter really got me interested in what might have happened to the town and its population, even if the references to "satanism" and "masonry" were a little too off for the game (they manipulated the church and the monarchy to make the people submit, only to then put a curse on the town?) but after you enter the castle the story crumbles into what might have been an invasion of pre-Christian aliens and forced modernization. Nothing is really explained and in the end you're thrown into a map that doesn't seem to have a way out, only for Monk to tell you that Shalavar is missing (should I look for him? Are there different endings?).

There was observable dedication to the gameplay, the visuals and the gimmicks, but for now the story needs polishing and some expansion for it to become interesting, enjoyable and replayable. Ethereal Garden does look aesthetically interesting too, but I didn't find anything to do there in the short time I explored it.

Looking forward for updates.

The emerald in the temple with the four blue springs is actually there. You must find the trigger to open that temple. And the room transitions in the mansion works fine. I've played it many times online with friends and we did it with no problems (only the lag issues).
Now about the fences, I will fix it in a near update.

You are trying to say is, YOU GOTTA FIND THE TRIGGER FOR THE EMERALD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back