Sonic 2 HD - Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I still wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole, considering it's been proven without a shadow of a doubt that the code is obfuscated to the point of being really, really shady. There's no real way to know exactly what that black box is doing, and that's just unnecessary for a fangame.

Last edited:
I'm just expecting the next episode of it:

LOst was (?) just amateur programmer that was looking for a nice lib that could make everything simple, until "Oh, nice lib here!" and then added it into the pack, lightmindedly.

Then people's anti-virus started to redflag and the "cattle" started a shittsunami towards LOst, and, as for now, they are chasing him from the skies down to the deepest levels of the hell.

Next day, the "cattle" discover all this shit was just a mistake committed by an amateur programmer, and the shame will be as big as it has never been before.

If LOst isn't dead, at least LOst is lost. (or he got "himself" lost, definitively)

Not that I believe in this story, but.... y'know, the real life is a bit strange.

Welcome to the Sonic fanbase! Seeya tomorrow.

Last edited:
Don't a lot of games use polling for keyboard and mouse input? By that logic they all would have been labeled as keyloggers too.

I dont get why people are throwing a fit about DRM in a fangame, sure its odd that its in a game made on dissasembled code, but why cant people just enjoy the game? People should appreciate that they even got an early alpha, let alone an alpha with dodgy antivirus-alarming control code and DRM.

Don't a lot of games use polling for keyboard and mouse input? By that logic they all would have been labeled as keyloggers too.
The difference is that S2HD can actually record your input in other windows.

I dont get why people are throwing a fit about DRM in a fangame, sure its odd that its in a game made on dissasembled code, but why cant people just enjoy the game? People should appreciate that they even got an early alpha, let alone an alpha with dodgy antivirus-alarming control code and DRM.
People were throwing a fit about DRM because S2HD's engine is based on reverse engineering Sonic 2, much of which was done by the Sonic Retro community. Now the community is pissed off that the entire code, which some of them indirectly contributed to, is protected from viewing. Imagine you knew how to code and made a contribution to SRB2. Along comes the last release, the devs have further modified your contribution, but you can't look at what they've done to it because they aren't giving you the code. That would piss you off.

And now that the program has a keylogger, you really can't blame people for not appreciating the alpha.

SRB2 doesn't, except for maybe the DOS version, AFAIK. Polling for input is a less-than-ideal method.

It could have also been how the keys were being read -- for example, as a noob, it's likely he was recording all keystrokes into a buffer, and then scanning that buffer for valid keys. In addition to recording input even when out of focus, that's pretty much the same activity as a keylogger, so that's why it's flagged.

All of this comes down to two main culprits - 1) Incompetence and 2) We don't want you being able to disassemble/customize it because we closed the project BECAUSE we want Sega to come along and buy it from us like Taxman's Sonic CD.
#2 is probably the whole reason the project became closed with a limited number of members, rather than being an open source community type deal. Problem is, the proper way to go about #2 is to NOT release any demos, stick to YouTube videos only, and don't start it out as a community project and hyping it all around. I'm working on some games for the App Store right now. Some people from this board are involved. There's a reason you don't know about them yet.

Debug mode anyone? :P

Get every ring on both acts.(AKA Perfect Bonus)
[EDIT]By the way,i dont know why,but sometimes nothing happens after the title screen.

Last edited:
The difference is that S2HD can actually record your input in other windows.

People were throwing a fit about DRM because S2HD's engine is based on reverse engineering Sonic 2, much of which was done by the Sonic Retro community. Now the community is pissed off that the entire code, which some of them indirectly contributed to, is protected from viewing. Imagine you knew how to code and made a contribution to SRB2. Along comes the last release, the devs have further modified your contribution, but you can't look at what they've done to it because they aren't giving you the code. That would piss you off.

And now that the program has a keylogger, you really can't blame people for not appreciating the alpha.

I know that people were throwing a fit about DRM, i said that it is odd but im not very mad, also, the keylogger turned out to be just crappy programming on the controlling code.

Needless to say, I'm not too surprised that S2HD was discontinued, especially after the volcanic eruption of setback after setback that eventually led to its ultimate downfall. What began as something that had a lot of potential and promise turned into a laughingstock, and in the end, the whole project got canceled.

Turned out that, after LOst got fired, some other key programmers decided to leave the project, leaving pretty much nobody to work on it. Oh well. Can't say we all saw this coming, right?

The game's reputation was pretty much shot anyway. If I were on that project, I'd certainly want to disassociate with it as quickly as possible when it got the reaction it did.

But yeah, fangames never get finished trololo. It's the unfortunate combination of creation in your spare time + desire to stay on top of technical advancements - chance for compensation for the effort.

Last edited:
Crap, now Sonic 2 HD is cancelled because everyone fucking overreacted to hack protection? Great job, assholes, you just had to bitch about the DRM until LOst was kicked off the team and now the project is dead.

Crap, now Sonic 2 HD is cancelled because everyone fucking overreacted to hack protection? Great job, assholes, you just had to bitch about the DRM until LOst was kicked off the team and now the project is dead.
I don't think it was because of the fans at all. It seemed like the project was doomed to fail mostly because of LOst. He was described by the other members of the team as a hardcore control-freak. He wouldn't even let the other members see his code. With someone like that as a lead programmer, I don't see how it could work out in the end, which - as we can see - it didn't.

I'm going to take it you haven't seen the problems it's caused. Namely, the inability to use a screen recorder with the game. L0st was out for nobody but himself and he brought the entire project down when he fucked it up.

Looks like the lead programmer took the hint and got
*puts on shades*
LOst.
http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/

But yeah, I'm rather disappointed that this has bitten the dust. I guess there's always one selfish person in a fan project that has to ruin it for everyone. A certain MLP fangame has suffered a similar fate for much the same reasons.

And that's why open source will always prevail, and why SRB2 has lasted so long despite never being finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back