SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 02-14-2016   #61
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

As far as I know, SRB2 will still run fine on Windows 2000, even. Pretty sure something broke about 9X by now, but honestly, absolutely nobody should be running 9X nowadays.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #62
Ultimate
a scar in time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK.exe View Post
Honestly, i think CEZ1 textures suits the level, despite that it's horrible.
I think what makes CEZ so difficult is that classic Sonic didn't really ever have much of a castle theme. Even when it kind of did (Marble Hill), it had colors that made it pop. Purple stone, neon green grass, and contrasting red lava.

When Sonic did use grey, (Scrap Brain Act 3), it still popped because of the deep purple water and the greenish background.

Perhaps finding a way to brighten up and techno-fy CEZ could help with not only the scenery, but the level structure as well.
When a person reads, that person becomes a musician of literature, playing the piece upon the instrument of his or her own imagination, expressing it through the dynamics and articulation of emotion and experience.
http://youtube.com/philipawalker
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #63
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

1. Are slopes going to be added to CTF and Match maps that need it too? The physics would be pretty cool to play with in those gametypes. Building up speed by rolling down a hill would be a good mechanism to get away from opposing players without your double-tap jump ability when you're carrying the flag in CTF. This is a good chance to make Meadow Match not shitty too.

2. Isn't the ugly title screen getting updated?
MetalKnux101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #64
Saturn Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalKnux101 View Post
1. Are slopes going to be added to CTF and Match maps that need it too? The physics would be pretty cool to play with in those gametypes. Building up speed by rolling down a hill would be a good mechanism to get away from opposing players without your double-tap jump ability when you're carrying the flag in CTF. This is a good chance to make Meadow Match not shitty too.

1. I'd imagine they would be, and if they were added, that'd actually really help any non-Sonic players avoid the dreaded Thok-spam. Also, since GFZ is getting revamped, I'd imagine Meadow Match will be too.

2. There was a thread regarding this in Editing, but it's gotten so old that I can't find it. I think at least the clouds will be changed, though.
Saturn Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #65
RomioTheBadass
Right there, Criminal Scum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Ross View Post
1. I'd imagine they would be, and if they were added, that'd actually really help any non-Sonic players avoid the dreaded Thok-spam. Also, since GFZ is getting revamped, I'd imagine Meadow Match will be too.
I'm missing the point, Meadow match was never touched since it was made first time, A Change in the way it's played would not be good in any way, The reason why i love Meadow Match is because it's the only Map where i can spam Sonic's thok freely .
Old 02-14-2016   #66
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
I'm missing the point, Meadow match was never touched since it was made first time, A Change in the way it's played would not be good in any way, The reason why i love Meadow Match is because it's the only Map where i can spam Sonic's thok freely .
I meant make it less flat and bland, maybe touch up some of the visuals like GFZ. I didn't mean change the whole architecture of the map, that would defeat the purpose of even keeping that old thing in the game.
Old 02-14-2016   #67
*icefox*avp*
Or call me Revan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
You wrong. Meadow Match was touched since it's release. It is perfect only for Duels, the weapons are really good placed, you could easily have all of them.

Click this link!

THE RICE FIELDS!
*icefox*avp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #68
Knux576
Neighborhood Memer

Quote:
Well, a lot of SSN's sprites have been getting replaced, and I personally think it would be a bit saddening to replace the title screen too. Personally, I'd like to keep the current title screen for that special AJ touch right off the bat, y'know?
I guess it would be understandable if it got replaced though.

EDIT: I've had a complete change of mind since I posted this, the current title screen is incredibly dated and needs a replacement. Move along.

Last edited by Knux576; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:54 PM.
Knux576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #69
verifiaman
The master of verification.

So how would you implement the slopes in a level? Are they like stairs?
Old 02-14-2016   #70
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verifiaman View Post
So how would you implement the slopes in a level? Are they like stairs?
Well, you take two sectors, set the linedef between them to slope what you want to slope, then tweak the heights of the sectors to be different from each other. That's basically it, although other more advanced methods to slope stuff do exist. So sort of like stairs, I guess, although you won't need nearly as many sectors in most cases.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #71
verifiaman
The master of verification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwip-Zwap Zapony View Post
Well, you take two sectors, set the linedef between them to slope what you want to slope, then tweak the heights of the sectors to be different from each other. That's basically it, although other more advanced methods to slope stuff do exist. So sort of like stairs, I guess, although you won't need nearly as many sectors in most cases.
That is nice. Ohh I can't wait to see the physics with those in play. The amount height you could get would be amazing.
Old 02-14-2016   #72
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knux576 View Post
Well, a lot of SSN's sprites have been getting replaced, and I personally think it would be a bit saddening to replace the title screen too. Personally, I'd like to keep the current title screen for that special AJ touch right off the bat, y'know?
I guess it would be understandable if it got replaced though.
But the game is still in AJ's style, there is just better art now. The current title screen is poorly animated and terribly dated. Someone could make a better drawn and better animated version that's about the exact same in style.

It would look better if Sonic looked like he does on this SRB2 Dreamcast mock-up cover on the title screen, and it was fluently animated.

Last edited by MetalKnux101; 02-14-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2016   #73
MK.exe
Off and on

Medow match in my opinion shouldn't have a slopey update.

Maybe some additional decorations here and there but i wouldn't like to see the most simple match map changed... i see it as a sense of noastogia to srb2 as a whole
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #74
Steelie
a Riolu enthusiast

Meadow Match is long overdue to be revamped. Tag gametypes are dreadful on it and matches annoying with 6+ people (and it's also ugly). Just because it has sentimental value doesn't mean it should stay untouched. This sort of works for the title screen too.

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #75
Monster psychic cat
Bulk Up

Can't you remove it?

Last edited by Monster psychic cat; 01-22-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Monster psychic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #76
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

See, when we did the transition to 2.0, I actually removed Meadow Match entirely. Turns out people really like it and it was put back by popular demand. Meadow Match is not (and never was) a particularly good stage. It just turns out that what a lot of the community wants isn't a good stage, it's a box with items so they can play mindlessly, like all the gimmick maps in the early days of online FPSes. I just think of the old Counterstrike AWP map, for example.

There's nothing to improve with Meadow Match because it's not fixable. Slopes or scenery or whatever aren't going to change what the stage is: a box with shit in it.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #77
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Meadow Match is not (and never was) a particularly good stage.
On the contrary, it's one of the only maps that actually works well with small player counts.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016   #78
Supersonic2p3
Kurri | Kawaii Killer

Came here to share and cringe at my old posts with friends, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the game is still receiving updates after all these years.

Been thinking about hopping back into the game and slopes sound like a great reason to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
On the contrary, it's one of the only maps that actually works well with small player counts.
I dunno. Working with a small player count doesn't necessarily mean the stage is good.
Old 02-15-2016   #79
RomioTheBadass
Right there, Criminal Scum!

Quote:
I meant make it less flat and bland, maybe touch up some of the visuals like GFZ. I didn't mean change the whole architecture of the map, that would defeat the purpose of even keeping that old thing in the game.
Consider like one of the many dirty maps that were made for Half-life, Huge Boxes With nothing more than run and shoot ,But it still works just fine .

Quote:
Dreamcast Cover
Yeah, way better than the current one .
Old 02-15-2016   #80
Tokyo

Consider Meadow Match as a final destination stage,and the community needs it.
Tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote