SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing > Utilities

SRB2 Doom Builder Details »»
SRB2 Doom Builder
Developer Last Online: Aug 2014

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 2.60 average)
Released: 01-18-2006 Last Update: Never Installs: 0

EDIT half a year later:
The most recent version of SRB2 Doom Builder can always be obtained from http://workbench.srb2.org/srb2db/.

If you're using Windows Vista or 7, please read this thread at Doomworld.
---

I've spent some idle moments messing about with the Doom Builder source, with a view to implementing some stuff useful to SRB2 mappers. Mostly bug fixes so far -- like the crash in the texture browser -- but some SRB2-specific stuff should follow soon. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks.

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 03-19-2006   #62
Oogaland
Developer

Default Build 4

Sorry for the bump. Anyway, new build:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s05698...er_srb2-r4.zip

Changes since last time:

Code:
+ 'Thing paintbrush' mode. Hold shift and right-drag to create lots of things
  at once. Set the grid to choose spacing.
+ FOF Setup dialogue finished, or at least usable.
The FOF dialogue is still... um... experimental, shall we say. In most cases it'll warn you before it does something you might not expect. You can access it from the Sectors menu.
Old 03-19-2006   #63
BlazingPhoenix
AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ummm........DBSRB2 crashes every time I draw a sector.....
[duplicate because nobody paid attention to it]
BlazingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006   #64
Oogaland
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofFlames
Ummm........DBSRB2 crashes every time I draw a sector.....
[duplicate because nobody paid attention to it]
Are you creating sectors by drawing individual linedefs or by ctrl+right-clicking? Either way: what message do you get when it crashes, if any? If I know these things, I might be able to suggest a solution.
Old 03-19-2006   #65
Foxboy

It seems that whenever you select a map that has a letter anywhere in it (ex: MAPBA) doom builder will crash.
Old 03-19-2006   #66
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

Suggestion: Have a "sector filter" where you could display all sectors with, let's say, all the same floor height. All the sectors with this same floor height (That you would specify of course) would all become the same sector temporarily until turned the filter off. Likewise, making a change to this "universal" sector would make the same change to all sectors that had this attribute. Some good filters would be floor height, ceiling height, sector tag, sector effect, texture and stuff like that.
Old 03-22-2006   #67
Sonict
Administrator

Default Crash with latest build (builder_srb2-r4.zip)

Hi, Oogaland

In IRC, the crash that I showed you was with this build: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s05698...rb2-260206.zip , the one on the 26 of February 2006.

Here is the new one for the current build:

AppName: buildersrb2.exe AppVer: 1.67.0.379 ModName: buildersrb2.exe
ModVer: 1.67.0.379 Offset: 000a8a2e

I hope you can fix this soon.

Sonict

EDIT - March 23, 2006 at 11:16 AM EST

Thanks to your new test build, DB is now stable! Good job Oogaland!! Make sure to tell everyone that this new version is more stable now!!!

Thanks again,

Sonict
Sonict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006   #68
Oogaland
Developer

Default Build 7

New build, today. http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s05698...er_srb2-r7.zip

Rather than post the changelog, which has lots of messy little bits in it, I'll summarise changes since r4:
  • Nasty linedef crash fixed. This was the bug that had been bothering everyone. Thanks to Sonict for the crash reports.
  • Sector filter added. This is actually just an extension of the Find feature, which did more or less what was needed in the official DB. However, I added other operators (>=, <, etc.), and also some other things to search on.
  • Things in 3D mode work properly. You can point at them at the right height, now, instead of at the ground.
  • FOFs in 3D mode. You can't do anything with them yet, but they show up. It's a little slow, and some sidedefs appear where they oughtn't to.
  • Other stuff. Some FOF dialogue bug fixes; things' Z offsets appear when you hover over them; new splash screen; shortcut key support for the new features.
I've improved FOF support quite a bit since build 5 which I released on IRC. I don't know where build 6 went.

Foxboy: Firstly, thanks for linking to this from SRB2 World. I've put up a page at http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/ that'll alyways provide a link to the current build, so if you could amend your link, that'd be great, thanks. Also, as to that bug you reported: I managed to open Mystic Realm's MAPBA, so the problem might be something different. Could you please tell me what wad you were using when the crash occurred?

That's all for now.
Old 03-26-2006   #69
BlazingPhoenix
AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Okay, cool my problem's fixed.

How 'bout being able to change the ZOffests for things in 3D mode? kinda like what you can do with thing's Z-Heights in ZDoom-Hexen mode in regular Doom Builder.
Old 03-26-2006   #70
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

I'm pretty sure he's already done that.

I must say Oogaland, this is one of the best things to hit SRB2 since WadAuthor, I'm surprised many people haven't left it for this. It's made so many frustrating tasks so easy. I would marry you but my girlfriend would accuse me of wrong doings if I were to. I can't think of many more suggestions at the moment, it seems like this build is near perfection...
Old 03-27-2006   #71
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum

True, that. But there are some problems; Like for instance: no translucency in the FOFs in 3-D mode, and invisible FOFs(or light blocks) show up with the textures and flats of the controll sector.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #72
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

Well 3D Mode is always gonna be a problem, that in itself will likely never be perfect. Those for experienced wadders like me, this is a god send. I don't nessesarily need 3D Mode. Although after thinking, a few new ideas popped up...
  • More error fixing, as in, having menu items that will automatically fix common errors. Empty tags, proper thok barrier (That would be hard though I imagine), incompatible linedefs and things, among other stuff.
  • The ability to customize the toolbar. You know, the one with the prefab and gradient buttons? It'd be nice to add your own buttons to it depending on the mode, like having the Setup FOF button when in Sector mode.
  • Being able to save different color configurations. Many people like different color schemes when editing maps and it would be awesome to be able to save the color schemes as different CFGs.
  • Have checkboxes on the testing tab in the configuration box to automatically add certain parameters like -nomusic and -win. This is hardly important, just a little tidbit incase you're bored. ^_^()
  • Have an option to not load ANY textures or flats from the IWAD but instead, load them from the current wad and/or an external wad only. Might quicken loading time and make things such as making quick fixes quicker.

/me needs to learn how to use the list tag
Old 03-27-2006   #73
Eryn
エリンちゃん

Here's the full and current changelog:
Code:
DBSRB2 Changelog:

Key:
! Bug fixed. 
+ Feature added. 

17/01/2006 

! Crash in texture/flat browser when pressing tab with no image selected. 
+ 'Split Linedefs' feature. 

18/01/2006 

! Textures incorrectly reported as missing in zero-height sectors. 

20/01/2006 

+ Z Offset feature added; no more messing with flags. 
! Crash in browser when no textures/flats currently used in map. 
+ 'Cascade tags upwards' option for sectors. Like 'Gradient xxxx', but upper 
  bound automatic. 
! Fields in new map config dialogue not filled at start for default config. 
+ Tag cascading for linedefs.

26/02/2006 

! Z offsets were masked to 15 bits instead of 16. 
+ ++ and -- can be used in Z offsets in a similar fashion to sectors. 
+ Preliminary handling of Z offsets in 3D mode: things display at the right 
  height, but you still have to aim at the ground to select them.

19/03/2006

+ 'Thing paintbrush' mode. Hold shift and right-drag to create lots of things 
  at once. Set the grid to choose spacing. 
+ FOF Setup dialogue finished, or at least usable.

26/03/2006

! Nasty linedef crash fixed.
+ Sector filter added
! Things in 3D mode work properly
+ FOFs in 3D mode
! FOF dialogue bug fixes
+ Things’ Z offsets appear when you hover over them
+ New splash screen
+ Shortcut key support for new features
Eryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #74
Tets
one rude dude

I approve this release. It no longer crashes every time I want to do something useful! Also, FOFs and thing z offsets in 3D mode ftw.
Tets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #75
ZarroTsu
Lead Kart Dev

hmm... I wonder why I've over looked this for so long? *downloads for the 1st time*

better late than never XP
ZarroTsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #76
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

I noticed a bug using the FOF creator. It will try it's best to place the control sector outside the thok barrier but if your FOF is too far in the middle of it, it'll create the control sector inside the thok barrier and even overlap any sectors in it's way, creating many, many unfixable errors.
Old 03-29-2006   #77
ZarroTsu
Lead Kart Dev

I remember now why I hate doom builder. It offers a bunch of stuff other builders do, only it has the nifty 3D mode... Which i may as well use for texture alignments XP
ZarroTsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #78
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

Another suggestion: default textures for different WADs. I really do hate editing a GFZ themed WAD, creating a new sector in it and seeing that it's wall textures are ZIMWALL4. If you could save the default textures in the DBS file DB generates for each WAD and have DB load these up into the current default textures, that would be great.

EDIT: Found another bug: The Setup FOF dialog puts the colourmap information in the Middle Texture, when it should be in the Above Texture.

Suggestion: Have a dropdown list for FOF presets that can be loaded from an INI. This would allow people to create many FOFs of the same type easily.
Old 03-30-2006   #79
Sonict
Administrator

Default A bug.

I think I found a bug in the latest build of srb2builder (r7).

If you create or load a map like: (mapa1) and try to test it, the nodebuilder fails to work and when the level loads, its "Green Flower Zone 1" instead of the map that you want. You can start a new game and then it loads the map that you wanted to test.

EDIT: Also make sure that when you make a very big map, (EX. AGZ2 from Mystic Realm) it will save and run the level properly.

Sonict
Sonict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #80
BlazingPhoenix
AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Give DBSRB2 a new icon, I sometimes accidently load the wrong DoomBuilder when I'm SRB2 editing.
Old 03-31-2006   #81
JJames19119
Why did they remove Grey

Default Re: A bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonict
I think I found a bug in the latest build of srb2builder (r7).

If you create or load a map like: (mapa1) and try to test it, the nodebuilder fails to work and when the level loads, its "Green Flower Zone 1" instead of the map that you want. You can start a new game and then it loads the map that you wanted to test.

EDIT: Also make sure that when you make a very big map, (EX. AGZ2 from Mystic Realm) it will save and run the level properly.

Sonict
I just tested that and it's actually a bug within the normal DB itself, not SRB2 Builder, it was just simply carried over. Nonetheless, it's a bug that does need fixing.