SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Levels

SRB2 Hub (1.3) Details »»
SRB2 Hub (1.3)
Developer Last Online: Jun 2015

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (19 votes - 4.32 average)
Released: 04-11-2014 Last Update: 04-29-2014 Installs: 18
Single Player Levels Multiplayer Levels Scripts Sprites/Graphics

This modification is not spoiler-free!
And it will ruin your experience, if you haven't beaten the game yet!

Greetings everyone!

I'm very happy to announce the release of SRB2 Hub!
(Formerly known as SRB2 Rock)
The project has been restarted from scratch to make sure nobody's rights are violated by any sort of stolen content.

First of all I would like to apologize to anyone whose work has been, let's face it, stolen by me. And while I'm not trying to deny my fault in this, I'd like to mention that the original SRB2 Rock was never meant to be released, at least not in it's current form. It was something for me to try out my skills on which is the reason why there are so many seemingly useless things in there as well as tons of bugs and other unpleasantries. The wad, in fact, was leaked by a person who for their own safety shall remain nameless. Regardless, I do feel sorry for my actions.

Now then, it is time to explain what SRB2 Hub is exactly.
Well, it just what the title implies, it's a hub which contains a shortcut to most stages in SRB2.
The main idea was to allow easy access to any map with all Chaos Emeralds in netgames.

There are two main areas:

Gameplay Area.
It contains:
1. Level Select
This room holds teleporters to the map of every zone in the main SRB2 campaign which, in turn, contain a shortcut to every stage.
2. Bonus Level Select.
Contains a shortcut to four hidden stages.
3. Master Emerald Altar.
Just like in SRB2 Rock, it contains the 7 Chaos Emeralds for easy collecting as well as the Master Emerald which can transform Sonic into Super Sonic.

Hangout Area.
It contains:
1. Living Quarters:
An area much like the one that has the zone teleporters in it, but it holds six rooms and a shower instead. Every room (including) the shower can be closed and opened manually from the inside.
2. Cafeteria:
Just what it sounds like, it's a cafeteria. You can choose on of four treats and deliver it to your table of choice via little teleporters. Unlike the rest of the hub, it has different music playing in the background. (5 imaginary cookies to the first one who can guess where the track comes from)
3. Cinema:
Once again it's just what it sounds like, A cinema that plays movies. Three of them actually. They are just looped animations, but I still consider it a nice touch.
Note: it may or may not crash if you switch the movies around too much, so be careful. If it's too unstable, I'll replace it with something else.
Have fun!

Latest Update:

Version 1.3
Notes: This wad still needs some fixes. Thanks to everyone pointing stuff out.

Changelog:
-Bugfixes

Older Updates:
Spoiler:

Version 1.2
Notes: Another update because I had time and inspiration to do some stuff.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
-Made many improvements to ERZ hub
-Replaced and alligned some textures everywhere on the map
-More minor tweaks and edits

Version 1.16
Notes: Yet another tiny update.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
-Renamed Theatre to Cinema
-More OpenGl fixes
-More minor tweaks and edits

Version 1.15
Notes: Another minor update. This will probably be the last for now. Unless more bugs are made known to me.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
- Fixed a few issues present when running this thing in OpenGL
- Tweaks to CEZ hub.

Version 1.1
Notes: I lied! Here's another update!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
- Revamped GFZ Hub. Now with more texture allignment and less sneaky stage entrances!
- Fixed some minor issues.

Version 1.0!
(1.01 Quick Fix, Sorry)

Spoiler:
Major Update!
Firstly, I split SRB2 Hub in three maps:
An entrance, the old 'gameplay area' and the new 'hangout area'.

Entrance:
Basicly, it's a technical map with nothing much in it but the exits to the other ones. It's only purpose is consistency, which I'm obsessed with. Don't pay much mind to it. You don't come back to it, once you leave it.

Gameplay Area:
This is what SRB2 Hub was up until this version. There are some changes here.
- Added SRB1 Remake Level Select to the Bonus Level Select.
- Added Special Stage pictures/titles to make selecting them more visual.
- Fixed and tweaked some minor stuff in the zone hubs.
- More Legacy (with benefits).

Hangout Area:
A completely new area that I've been working on for some time now. Honestly I'm not as happy with it, as with the main area, but I still think it's worth putting here, just to see if you people like it. =)

This thing contains three rooms:
- Living Quarters:
An area much like the one that has the zone teleporters in it, but it holds six rooms and a shower instead. Every room (including) the shower can be closed and opened manually from the inside.
- Cafeteria:
Just what it sounds like, it's a cafeteria. You can choose on of four treats and deliver it to your table of choice via little teleporters. Unlike the rest of the hub, it has different music playing in the background. (5 imaginary cookies to the first one who can guess where the track comes from)
- Theatre:
Once again it's just what it sounds like, A theatre that plays movies. Three of them actually. They are just looped animations, but I still consider it a nice touch.
Note: it may or may not crash if you switch the movies around too much, so be careful. If it's too unstable, I'll replace it with something else.

Also this version has a noticeably bigger file size, so that's something to be aware of.

Well, that's about it, let me know what you think of this. Thanks.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention that this map now screws with your 'playersforexit' to cover up some of the issues that I just couldn't fix.
Namely, it sets it to 'one', when entering the gameplay area and to 'all' when entering the hangout area.

Version 0.65 (Version 0.66 Quick Fix)

Notes: It's a small update, but there's something much bigger coming.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
- Remodeled the Special Stage Warp room to be a lot more compact
- Fixed Special Stages not loading in Coop.
(They still repeat infinitely, because I don't know how to fix that yet.)
- You now go back to the Hub upon finishing PTZ, SHZ, AGZ or ATZ.

Version 0.6:

Notes:
Finally able to do stuff again thanks to LoganA. Here's the update that was supposed to be released 6 hours after the initial release.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
- Added beautiful 3D signposts unique to each level in place of yellow floor marks.
- Added a semi-hidden Special Stage Warp room to the Bonus Level Select
(Note: enetering a special stage through here makes you replay it over and over)
- Various tweaks to THZ and ERZ hubs, as well as AGZ and ATZ rooms.

Version Archive: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/msu1zxai4hrouy4

Download Now

File Type: zip sc_srb2hub_1.3.zip (10.98 MB, 9432 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.png
Views:	1899
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	4754   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20002.png
Views:	1558
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	4755   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20003.png
Views:	1410
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	4756   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20004.png
Views:	1373
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	4757   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20005.png
Views:	1148
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	4758  

Name:	srb20006.png
Views:	1155
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	4759   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20007.png
Views:	1041
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	4760   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20008.png
Views:	1131
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	4761   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20009.png
Views:	1098
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	4762   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20010.png
Views:	1164
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	4763  

Name:	srb20011.png
Views:	1637
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	4764   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20012.png
Views:	1165
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	4765   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20013.png
Views:	1055
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	4766   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20014.png
Views:	1079
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	4767   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20015.png
Views:	1410
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	4768  

Name:	srb20016.png
Views:	1741
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	4769  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 04-22-2014   #62
Rex The Kitsune
Annoying Purple Dude

SRB2 has a hub world now...
I just...
AMAZING TEN STARS FANBOY WOOOOOOOH!
In all seriousness, this is something SRB2 has needed.
Old 04-22-2014   #63
Gaga Hax
Emotionally Unstable

Applied a quick fix to version 0.65. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Gaga Hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #64
Steel Titanium

After playing this with my friend, we both agreed that the Hub is just simply amazing. I love how the levels are sorted out. And about the hiding spots for the special stages, Old THZ2 and ERZ3. Like my friend said, you just gotta think Sonic.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #65
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

We already have a Special Stage hub, though.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #66
Gaga Hax
Emotionally Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AozoraJustin View Post
Unsure if this would be possible, but could there be a level-select for Special Stages in the Emerald Shrine? Like you collect an Emerald and it warps you to the corresponding Special Stage (Green for SS1, for example), and afterwards it takes you back to the HUB?
Sadly, there are acouple of issues which bother me. First of all, I think it will ruin the thing I was going for with the shrine. That being easy emerald collecting. And also I can't seem to get the Special Stages to return you to the hub upon completion. If anyone has any ideas, please share. I would appreciate it.

And no, tweaking the 'nextlevel' thing in the headers does not help. Probably has something to do with how the special stages work.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirblord23 View Post
We already have a Special Stage hub, though.
That.
Old 04-22-2014   #67
Knux576
Neighborhood Memer

I still think you should have made it so you warp back to the hub after finishing a zone, but oh well. I really like what you did with the special stage select, it probably took a while to do.
Knux576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #68
Burning-Fox
Does not approve of rails.

There are old THZ2 and ERZ3 stages? Le gasp. (Also this should seriously be part of vanilla SRB2, it's totally kickass.)

Also I'm quite sure you could just make a "NextLevel = 29" in the Special Stage lumps or something. IDK. The issue with making EVERY stage put you back in the hub is... well... duh. It'd make playing through the game all the way impossible with the wad added.
Though it'd be neat if it was possible to do that. :P

A co-op version would be epic, just suggesting.
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm a thief.
Burning-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #69
Gaga Hax
Emotionally Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knux576 View Post
I still think you should have made it so you warp back to the hub after finishing a zone, but oh well. I really like what you did with the special stage select, it probably took a while to do.
I tried doing that, but it just seemed wrong when I tested it, I don't know why.

And making the Special Stage Select was more confusing than anything else. Too many control sectors.
Old 04-22-2014   #70
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

I have to be honest, Gaga, I liked the old Special Stage hub a lot more. It had a more mysterious, mystical vibe to it.
Old 04-22-2014   #71
Gaga Hax
Emotionally Unstable

Quote:
I have to be honest, Gaga, I liked the old Special Stage hub a lot more. It had a more mysterious, mystical vibe to it.
I can always just re-add the glowing light effect. I know It won't be the same, but that's something at least.

The problem was that I didn't really like the old version. Too much wasted space, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning-Fox View Post
A co-op version would be epic, just suggesting.
What do you mean, exactly? SRB2 Hub supports Coop.
Old 04-22-2014   #72
AozoraJustin
AKA Superjustinbros

For a HUD level this is quite enjoyable, and a major improvement over SRB2 oak, thanks to not having that dragged-out intro and a more simple way of organizing where all the levels are. The zone HUDS are fun to explore, especially finding the "Legacy" versions of THZ2 and ERZ3.

Personally I hope for more hidden Legacy maps, even if the differences in some maps (GFZ2 and CEZ2 especially) between 2.0 and 2.1 were minor, some of them had stuff that weren't present in 2.1's versions of the same maps.

One idea I have would be to label the doors leading into to the seven different Zones (such as placing a "1" on Green Flower Zone's door, a 2 on Techno Hill Zone's Door, etc). There could also be signs in front of the Old/Legacy Act entrances that have a small "Old" or "Legacy" sign above them, and signs next to each of the buttons in the Special Stage room, showing which SS number it is.
AozoraJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #73
Burning-Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga Hax View Post
What do you mean, exactly? SRB2 Hub supports Coop.
Make it so every player has to actually touch a certain exit sector for the exit sector to work, and not just one. It screws everyone over when one player just decides "LOL I'M GOING TO PLAY THIS LEVEL. EITHER RESTART THE LEVEL OR JOIN ME. LOOOOOL."
I'm a thief.
Old 04-22-2014   #74
Gaga Hax
Emotionally Unstable

Quote:
Make it so every player has to actually touch a certain exit sector for the exit sector to work, and not just one. It screws everyone over when one player just decides "LOL I'M GOING TO PLAY THIS LEVEL. EITHER RESTART THE LEVEL OR JOIN ME. LOOOOOL."
It's actually a mystery to me how that thing determines which level it will go to. What I can say for sure is that it does not depend on which sector was activated first or by which node the player who activated it has.
Old 04-22-2014   #75
r543

I liked the old special stage select better, maybe you should keep the current one for the old special stages. The THZ room with the hidden extra life is a big bugged, if you look up to the left side you can see parts of the sky.
r543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #76
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga Hax View Post
It's actually a mystery to me how that thing determines which level it will go to. What I can say for sure is that it does not depend on which sector was activated first or by which node the player who activated it has.
It's determined based on a random number generator.
Old 04-22-2014   #77
Gaga Hax
Emotionally Unstable

Quote:
It's determined based on a random number generator.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get this info? I'm not really sure if that's correct.
Old 04-22-2014   #78
Iceman404
Tyler52 Forever

From what I recall, it's actually done by who landed on the space last. It'd be neat if it was instead done by majority rule in a future version of SRB2 though.
Old 04-22-2014   #79
Burning-Fox

It isnt. I'm quite sure that from experience, the first level that is triggered is the level the game goes to regardless of what sectors are chosen afterwards. Anyway, look at sf-94, the trains there require all present players to be on the actual train before the level ending activates. It'd be cool if you could do that.
I'm a thief.
Old 04-22-2014   #80
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Quote:
It isnt. I'm quite sure that from experience, the first level that is triggered is the level the game goes to regardless of what sectors are chosen afterwards. Anyway, look at sf-94, the trains there require all present players to be on the actual train before the level ending activates. It'd be cool if you could do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman404 View Post
From what I recall, it's actually done by who landed on the space last. It'd be neat if it was instead done by majority rule in a future version of SRB2 though.
Nope and nope. I periodically host a server with this added, and many times the majority will pick one stage and someone will pick another, then another person will go to the majority and it'll end up picking the minority even though he didn't go first or last. At least, from my experiences.
Old 04-23-2014   #81
Rex The Kitsune
Annoying Purple Dude

Wait a minute, legacy THZ2?
Awww mann, I can't find it. :P