SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 03-15-2017   #521
Larztard
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatosack View Post
Nice MK8 with that hairpin turn at the end ;) In all seriousness though, the actual map looks interesting. Good job, Chaotic Chao!
That really caught my eye as well! lol
Old 03-15-2017   #522
h0is
Pepperoni Secret

Ooh, are those custom Tails sprites I see? Very nice.
Old 03-16-2017   #523
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

Are Gliding segments going to be a thing

The Gifs are breaking :l
Thanks Dropbox
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #524
Sapheros
That guy that ports

To be fair, I'm not sure how gliding will work, but if it's anything like this, I'd say wait for Kart 2.3 on the Unity engine. :P
Old 03-23-2017   #525
Chrome
Working on Digital Empire

You've seen some screenshots of Green Hill Circuit before, but Blitz-T has updated it to fit 2.1 standards with sweet banked turns and smooth ramps. Can you spot the two shortcuts hidden in the track? (Speedometer-is-not-final-please-ignore)
Old 03-24-2017   #526
Potatosack
funyn menme

I repeat my previous sentiments about maps looking r a d

are both the shortcuts on the two hairpin turns?
Potatosack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #527
Icee
The one and only...

I've missed out on quite a lot. Seeing all the new work on the project is making me excited. It's especially nice to see slopes getting some use as well. Green Hill Circuit is looking great. Part of me is glad that Speedometer isn't final. I know it's just a nitpick but I'm so used to the new Mario font (that they've been using since 3D Land), that I just think the old one looks ugly now.
Icee, that's me. The one and only...
Icee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #528
Chrome
Working on Digital Empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatosack View Post
I repeat my previous sentiments about maps looking r a d

are both the shortcuts on the two hairpin turns?
Correct, if that wasn't a guess, you've got some good eyes, Blitz-T hides his shortcuts well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icee View Post
I've missed out on quite a lot. Seeing all the new work on the project is making me excited. It's especially nice to see slopes getting some use as well. Green Hill Circuit is looking great. Part of me is glad that Speedometer isn't final. I know it's just a nitpick but I'm so used to the new Mario font (that they've been using since 3D Land), that I just think the old one looks ugly now.
Try not to trouble yourself with what's "Mario" or not. SRB2 kart is going for it's own unique style separate from anything that Nintendo does. We choose the fonts we do because they work well with the game, not because it fits a certain theme.

Late update post this week, nothing new, but here's a clip of multiplayer gameplay in Egg Quarters. Even Redshells get some nice air-time from ramps!
Old 04-03-2017   #529
Lach
Latch? Lock?? Lack???

Looking clean! I love the way the slopes are used with the turns. It's so dynamic.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #530
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

I'm not a fan of the texturing, but the actual level design and gameplay look great.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017   #531
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Something about items appearing out of thin air behind you when you hold them is offputting to me. Will you be adding some sort of effect when you spawn them, perhaps like a dust cloud from a monitor pop or something?
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #532
Simsmagic
i 2 i

I kinda have to agree with the texturing. It doesn't really fit with SRB2's aesthetic and they look ugly when they're any distance from the camera that isn't right under it.
Simsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #533
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

It's because SRB2's Palette is limited, .png Textures support please.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #534
Simsmagic
i 2 i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
It's because SRB2's Palette is limited, .png Textures support please.
That's not really a good excuse when the complaint is "the textures don't fit with the aesthetic" since there are good looking stages that are just fine with SRB2's limited palette.
Simsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #535
Steel Titanium

I'm not really fond of the SA2 textures, even though that GIF is small, you can already tell that the textures will be hard to see far away.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #536
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsmagic View Post
That's not really a good excuse when the complaint is "the textures don't fit with the aesthetic" since there are good looking stages that are just fine with SRB2's limited palette.
I was actually referring to how the textures look blurry and less colorful compared to how they look in SA2.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017   #537
Sapheros
That guy that ports

Well yeah, it's butchered by the pallete, still doesn't stop people from remaking the textures properly, but I don't think we need to have kart still stuck in coding hell only to make the textures look better.
Old 04-06-2017   #538
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

PNG textures won't solve anything when the software renderer is still 256-color with no texture filtering. The issues I can see are that the textures are too high-detail (all those shades kinda mash together into pixel barf when it shrinks down unfiltered) and the GIF is too low-resolution to accurately tell how it looks at a larger resolution. A couple screenshots at 640x400 and/or 1280x800 would be a much better judge of how those textures scale and whether the detail is a major problem.

(Not being aesthetically fitting is another point, but I have too poor an eye for that sort of thing to try to judge there)
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017   #539
Lach
Latch? Lock?? Lack???

I was going to say the same thing; I think it'll look much better with the screen resolution ramped up. I agree that SRB2 isn't the kind of game that benefits from extravagantly detailed textures, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the direction these levels are going in so far. I don't think detail is a bad thing as long as all the details are coherent.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017   #540
Potatosack
funyn menme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Correct, if that wasn't a guess, you've got some good eyes, Blitz-T hides his shortcuts well.
It was an unsure analysis ;p

I'm happy to see that I was correct, though. Maybe... this means that I'll be really good when SRB2Kart comes out.
Potatosack is offline   Reply With Quote