SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > Video Games

Old 06-07-2014   #21
Aegix
Generally Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Luke View Post
Does anyone remember their first time through Chemical Plant Zone 2?
UUUUGGGHHHH, don't remind me.... ;_;

That super-tight platforming over a giant slime death pit hopping onto tiny little MOVING platforms...

And then being stuck in a stinking elevator shaft filled with slime, and with rotating boxes, giving you a time limit to properly handle each box set or DIE.

..... ;_; It was too much for my 9 year old self, especially just playing it on my cousin's Genesis maybe 3 times a year. When I finally BEAT that level, I was incredibly pleased. XD
Aegix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #22
Frostav

I know I'm late as hell with this, but the difficulty of Chemical Plant has literally fucking nothing to do with my critique of FP's physics and its claim to following in the footsteps of the Genesis triology.
Frostav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #23
.Luke

Who said it's claiming to be a blatant Sonic rip off? Sure, it draws inspiration from Sonic, but that's not the only source of inspiration, (Mario, Megaman, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes, and maybe a little Castlevania.) so pinball movement wouldn't make sense here, not without weighing down pretty much everything else.

Because of that, Freedom Planet is accessible to more than Sonic players. As Blue Warrior already said, nobody has to fight the physics to play the game, and it wouldn't be as fluid otherwise. Your expectations for this game are difficult to understand.

If you absolutely have to have some classic Sonic movement, play as Carol and roll away; there's a character for everybody.
Old 06-13-2014   #24
Metal Blake
No puppet man thats illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Luke View Post
Who said it's claiming to be a blatant Sonic rip off? Sure, it draws inspiration from Sonic, but that's not the only source of inspiration, (Mario, Megaman, Ristar, Gunstar Heroes, and maybe a little Castlevania.) so pinball movement wouldn't make sense here, not without weighing down pretty much everything else.

Because of that, Freedom Planet is accessible to more than Sonic players. As Blue Warrior already said, nobody has to fight the physics to play the game, and it wouldn't be as fluid otherwise. Your expectations for this game are difficult to understand.

If you absolutely have to have some classic Sonic movement, play as Carol and roll away; there's a character for everybody.
Wait, some inspiration from Gunstar? Please, may I ask, is there a certain character that is meant to be similar to Red and Blue from Gunstar Heroes, similar to how this Carol character is similar to classic Sonic?
Metal Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014   #25
Shadow Hog
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Blake View Post
Wait, some inspiration from Gunstar? Please, may I ask, is there a certain character that is meant to be similar to Red and Blue from Gunstar Heroes, similar to how this Carol character is similar to classic Sonic?
The game is filled to the brim with enemies and bosses that are pieced together from smaller sprites for exceptionally fluid animation - a decidedly Treasure-esque tactic. Think Seven Force - that's the Gunstar influence.
Shadow Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014   #26
Shadow Hog
Administrator

Game was delayed until July 19th, for the record. Didn't want to launch immediately after the Steam Summer Sales ended.
Old 06-20-2014   #27
Larztard
Yeah...

Dumb question but are the specs for Freedom Planet out?
Old 06-20-2014   #28
Neku Sakuraba
Ending the Reaper's Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Blake View Post
Carol is more similar to Zero(Mega Man X series), Zero( Mega Man Zero series) or Model ZX(Mega Man ZX) considering she's slower and has to get into the nitty gritty of the action with her melee attacks. Now Lilac... She's kind of like a mixture of modern Sonic and Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures/Sparkster:RKA2/Sparkster(SNES)/Rocket Knight(Xbox Live arcade and Playstation Store.).
Old 07-21-2014   #29
Shadow Hog
Administrator

Coming out in around four hours now!

(Also that link has an answer to Larztard's question.)
Old 07-21-2014   #30
Serenity101
My hate is my love

Now if only I didn't waste all my money on other things (specifically Kirby related)...
Old 07-22-2014   #31
Maximus Universal
Uhh

I am NOT paying fifteen dollars for a game that i'll beat in 3 hours!
Old 07-22-2014   #32
Larztard
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Universal View Post
Nobody cares. You're probably missing out.
Old 07-22-2014   #33
Katwover
typicality nonsensical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Universal View Post
Well, you'd probably pay $30 for Sonic Generations that you'd beat in like, 2 hours, am I right? Never mind its replay value, of course. I dunno, just curious.

Last edited by Katwover; 07-22-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Katwover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #34
Daywalker
The Daily Browser

Well, this is going to be one of the next games I get if I obtain the spare money for it. That launch trailer was very lively.
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #35
Aegix
Generally Friendly

Played 2 levels, was pretty impressed so far. They've basically nailed the mishmash of "sonicXmegamanZero" so far.

And, although as a writer at heart I think they over-rely on the long voiced cutscenes, I'm still enjoying them. The characters are fun and pretty well voiced for amateurs.

Oh, and "OUR WALLS ARE IMPENETRABLE!" "Your FLOOR isn't." needs to be a meme. Like, YESTERDAY. XD
Aegix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #36
LightspeedX
aka PrismaticAngel

I've played the demo, and it's pretty good I think.

...Though I'll probably wait with buying it until it's on sale. :P
<toaster> i love you lightspeed
LightspeedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #37
Metal Blake

So I've beaten, what, 6 levels now? And I really gotta say, I am loving this game. With the exception of a few boss fights that just annoyed me to no end (looking at you, Trap Hideout boss), the levels and bosses are fun, colorful, and the characters control well. I have got to say though, my favorite character so far has to be Mayor Zao, he cracks me up.
Old 07-22-2014   #38
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

So far, I'm the farthest with Lilac with Carol in second, both adventure mode.

And the cut-scenes are skippable if you really want to, but they do have some differences between Lilac and Carol.

Not just that, but you also get access to different stages with Carol and Mia too.
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #39
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge

I just played through the game for the first time, as Lilac on Classic mode, normal difficulty.

I originally planned on trying to clear the game without using any continues, that didn't work out. I was not ready for that final level. If Platinum made a Sonic game, it would be very similar to that final level. Egg Rock 'aint got nothing on how impressed I was with that.

I really loved it though, it was a super fun game and I'll play through as the other characters when I get time. Attempting hard mode, and the adventure mode now that I'm curious about the finer details of the story after having beaten it. Also probably gonna keep trying to do classic runs until I can beat the game without getting a game over, the game is fairly generous with extra lives but it's still crazy difficult at times.

Spoiler: My final results

Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732
fake!fake!
Whackjood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #40
Metal Blake

Well, finally beat it, and I gotta say, it got a lot harder than I thought it would... ended up having to realize it had switched me to normal instead of leaving me on casual (I normally play games on easy the first time I play them). Anyway, after playing it, I have to say, it really surpassed my expectations. The game ended up fun, challenging, and the story was actually pretty good, and Carol was a pretty fun character to play as.

Spoiler: My final results, for those who care

...I know, I'm not very good... Fun fact, 27 of those deaths were from Final Dreadnought 1's boss fight.