SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2012   #21
ashtheman14
Not this moron again...
 
ashtheman14's Avatar
Default

*reads link in first post* Wow. No wonder everythings blacked out! I don't mind this method of protest though, I think it's awesome how thousands of sites are blacking out together in an attempt to stop such bullcrap.
I APPROVE OF THIS PROTEST
__________________
Current Project: Twilight realm
Overall= 15%
1 SP map... 55%
1 Race map... 12%
Just testing the water really, seeing what I'm good at...
ashtheman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #22
Autosaver
 
Autosaver's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
That argument might apply to games (I wouldn't know!), but I know that a lot of people pirate films and music regularly regardless of how much they like it or how good the service.

I'm all for legislation that fights piracy. I oppose SOPA and PIPA because they're censorship.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuY...ure=plpp_video

This is an interesting video that I recommend a watch. Some of these companies that are complaining about pirating pretty much lead the way for users to pirate. I know it sounds weird, but the video explains it better.

SSMB did a black out. I was wondering if SRB2 would do something similar, I guess not.
Autosaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #23
Katmint
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosaver View Post
SSMB did a black out. I was wondering if SRB2 would do something similar, I guess not.
http://srb2.org/
Katmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #24
ashtheman14
Not this moron again...
 
ashtheman14's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmint View Post
Autosaver could've just been talking about the mb, which is obviously still open and he may not been aware of whether the main page itself was down or not, which he is now. Sorry for being offtopic
__________________
Current Project: Twilight realm
Overall= 15%
1 SP map... 55%
1 Race map... 12%
Just testing the water really, seeing what I'm good at...
ashtheman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #25
Autosaver
 
Autosaver's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtheman14 View Post
Autosaver could've just been talking about the mb, which is obviously still open and he may not been aware of whether the main page itself was down or not, which he is now. Sorry for being offtopic
Right on the target. SSMB had it that every post would be black and you would have to highlight it to read it.
Autosaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #26
Cue
ALAM STOP BREAKING THE S
 
Cue's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
That argument might apply to games (I wouldn't know!), but I know that a lot of people pirate films and music regularly regardless of how much they like it or how good the service.

I'm all for legislation that fights piracy. I oppose SOPA and PIPA because they're censorship.
The film and music industry have failed to keep up with today's expectations, not in terms of quality but in terms of the digital medium itself. We're a long way past buying shiny little DVDs in cases and albums off the shelf, and they can't accept that and move on to better solutions (NetFlix and LoveFilm have the right idea).
__________________
Quote:
<+Jev3> btw guys, now that Cue is gone, the Master Server is going to be awesome http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...tistsAreBetter
Quote:
<@Mystic> That's a good idea, Cue.
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #27
Internet Explorer
IT'S NO USE
 
Internet Explorer's Avatar
Default

I never knew this law...so, a lot of websites are blocked today to protest against these americans bills ? I'm with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyAries Red X View Post
And most of us in this world uses the internet. And those who use the internet a lot will most likely vote to not let this pass. But for those in this world who don't use the internet much. Will most likely vote to let this past.
The question is are there really some people who don't use or can't like Internet ? 48 people maybe. Look what my brother found on Facebook :
Spoiler:


I wonder how a law which is so much disliked could win.
__________________
Bind out of the "life"
Curiosity : It's alright, go on, you'll never know anything if you don't try
Internet Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #28
Blitzzo
It's Mr. Computer!
 
Blitzzo's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Explorer View Post
I never knew this law...
It's a bill, not a law.

But it could become law.

Quote:
I wonder how a law [bill] which is so much disliked could win.
Thank corporate money in politics for that.

Last edited by Blitzzo; 01-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Blitzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #29
Autosaver
 
Autosaver's Avatar
Default

Ahahaha, look at Retro's hilarious take on SOPA.
http://info.sonicretro.org/
Autosaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #30
Larztard
Yeah...
 
Larztard's Avatar
Default

Just wondering, what will happen to SRb2 if SOPA and PIPA get passed?
__________________
YouTube
Larztard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #31
Yoshi
Randomly found avatar
 
Yoshi's Avatar
Default

That would be permanent blackout laztard.
Probably. If somebody would notice this site.
__________________
I'm so insane I read all 558 chapters of Inuyasha in 3 days.

Last edited by Yoshi; 01-18-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #32
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator
 
Mystic's Avatar
Default

Well, like all web sites with user generated content, the following would need to disappear from our web site in order to continue operations:
  • SRB2 Message Board
  • SRB2 Wiki
  • Master Server
This actually has nothing to do with SEGA, either. The fact of the matter is that anyone who wanted to claim something posted to any of these things as a copyright infringement could remove our entire web site from the internet, so the only solution is to make it impossible to post anything to our web site.

The main page itself would likely also have to be gutted to the point where it was basically just a download link and a description, to minimize the possibility of censorship. Even then, if some corporation really wanted us taken down (any corporation, not just SEGA), they could.

This has nothing to do with just us; if you like the ability to post your opinions to anything on the internet, expect it to disappear from the internet should this pass: YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, 4chan, and any other web site that derives its purpose by user contributions is immediately dead in the water.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #33
Larztard
Yeah...
 
Larztard's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
That would be permanent blackout laztard.
You mean no Srb2?

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Well, like all web sites with user generated content, the following would need to disappear from our web site in order to continue operations:
  • SRB2 Message Board
  • SRB2 Wiki
  • Master Server
This actually has nothing to do with SEGA, either. The fact of the matter is that anyone who wanted to claim something posted to any of these things as a copyright infringement could remove our entire web site from the internet, so the only solution is to make it impossible to post anything to our web site.

The main page itself would likely also have to be gutted to the point where it was basically just a download link and a description, to minimize the possibility of censorship. Even then, if some corporation really wanted us taken down (any corporation, not just SEGA), they could.

This has nothing to do with just us; if you like the ability to post your opinions to anything on the internet, expect it to disappear from the internet should this pass: YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, 4chan, and any other web site that derives its purpose by user contributions is immediately dead in the water.
So then it would be a boring single player game...
__________________
YouTube

Last edited by Larztard; 12-10-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Larztard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #34
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy
 
Fawfulfan's Avatar
Default

You guys might be interested in this. A few months ago, when I first heard about PIPA, I wrote this short story in response:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/axgorah3x33ssmr/The Thieves.docx

Of course, if SOPA and PIPA actually passed, Viacom would have my head for this.
__________________
Just another indie game developer...check out my website, Chapman Games!
Fawfulfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #35
Hunter_Orion
 
Hunter_Orion's Avatar
Default

I've already expressed my opinions on this. So rather than type it again, I'll just quote myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself on the Cutstuff forums
I have a bad feeling about all this. Nothing good will come out of denying anyone the internet.

Don't anybody get me wrong. I don't believe in piracy. I would rather save up the money to pay for it than steal it. But in cases like MM8BDM, Srb2, or any other fan game, I don't see any problem with those. There's also online gaming via the internet. The person legally paid for not only the games, but the system itself, so it's perfectly legal to do some online play. If they sensor that, it's just plain bullshit. Furthermore, from the sounds of it, they'll just be able to sensor anything just because they feel like it. So another words, they hate facebook, that goes. How the hell is that fair? And doesn't that interfere with our freedom of speech? So what exactly is going to file under this ban? Anything that encourages free thinking? Why not sensor the TV? That's just as bad, if not worse. This whole thing is just retarded and foolish. The government is only digging their grave in even further, and I'd actually be kind of cool with the fact that Obama isn't budging on it, if it weren't for the fact that a 2/3 vote can override him. So in other words, our hope rests solely with the Judicial branch, and hoping that they find it unconstitutional (which if they're smart, they will.)

EDIT: It took me reading this after I posted it to realize I misspelled censor each and every time I used it. GAAAH!! I blame work!
Hunter_Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #36
Sergeant Brown
I am the EggMaaaaan!
 
Sergeant Brown's Avatar
Default

Should I be surprised we never heard of such an internet blackout in France?

I'm damn serious. This bullshit's gonna hit the whole world and not even half of the people who use internet know about this.

Good thing is, I'll be doing a class presentation about the liberty of expression tomorrow and I'll bring this subject to the table, so hopefully the ones who will hear it will spread the news.
Sergeant Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #37
ashtheman14
Not this moron again...
 
ashtheman14's Avatar
Default

Just wondering, did that SOPA"bill" already try to pass these laws yet or are they yet to have the chance?
__________________
Current Project: Twilight realm
Overall= 15%
1 SP map... 55%
1 Race map... 12%
Just testing the water really, seeing what I'm good at...
ashtheman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #38
rocky
Just being himself
 
rocky's Avatar
Default

I'm spreading the word so that we can protest against SOPA.

They still didn't get that the world isn't theirs. The world is free for all.
I'm also talking about this at school.

SOPA will not win.

EDIT: I just saw on the Internet that SOPA is "paralyzed" for now, But PIPA is still trying to fight against us.
__________________
Outer space = People's Ignorance.

Last edited by rocky; 01-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #39
EternallyAries
That Aries Title
 
EternallyAries's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
I'm spreading the word so that we can protest against SOPA.

They still didn't get that the world isn't theirs. The world is free for all.
I'm also talking about this at school.

SOPA will not win.

EDIT: I just saw on the Internet that SOPA is "paralyzed" for now, But PIPA is still trying to fight against us.
Ah well Sopa gotta be stuck by now anyway. Since everyone found out that Microsoft and C net. Are with Sopa.

So Sopa has maybe loss. Now what about Pipa? Don't anyone on the internet knows a secret about that?

Since the Sopa secret really blow up in there faces. And it really help us by putting us in the lead to beating them.
__________________
There is nothing much to read here.

Last edited by EternallyAries; 01-19-2012 at 08:21 PM.
EternallyAries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #40
Sergeant Brown
I am the EggMaaaaan!
 
Sergeant Brown's Avatar
Default

PIPA is pretty much SOPA, but it's a bill from the Senate, instead of the U.S. House of Representatives.
Sergeant Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.