SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > SRB2 Forum Archives

Old 01-13-2011   #1
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Default SRB2 Console Ports info (PS3 r6752)

Hey, guys. As I'm sure you all know, work has been picked up in recent times to update SRB2's compatibility with console platforms, notably my SRB2Wii and the effort to port SRB2 to the DS systems. I thought it would be a good idea to make a topic detailing all of the console ports that are being worked on and have small snippets of information on each and provide one topic where instructions can be found to download all of them. So, here it is.

Spoiler: SRB2Wii
I'm sure you guys are well aware of this port. Lately, however, I've been focusing my developments on a new version of SRB2Wii, one that directly uses libogc rather than running through Wii Linux. Alam has helped me debug this version and now its almost complete, and is much faster than the Wii Linux version, however has more problems. And the best thing is, the Wii target has been merged into all the SVN branches, so any branch on the Public SRB2MODs can be compiled for the Wii! Including SRB2Cineblast, XSRB2 and everything else.

Download:
http://alam.srb2.org/SRB2_MOB/Wii/Release/srb2wii.zip
http://repos.srb2.org/srb2ports/music.dta

All you need to do to run it is unzip the above compressed file on your SD card root directory, and place the SRB2 data files (minus your music.dta, add the music.dta in the download link which SRB2Wii needs because otherwise it won't play music correctly) in the /srb2wii folder (this can coexist with an SRB2Wii/Linux installation if you rename either one's /apps folder). You may or may not need a keyboard to have full control (read: get out of it), I'm not sure. The default setup is just the Wii Remote, but if you get into the joystick options, you can choose between Wii Remotes 1 through 4 (Wiimote only at the moment, Wiimote + Nunchuk is not completely done) and the GameCube controller. Two player splitscreen should be supported, netgames aren't, screenshots are, and SRB2Wii is fast enough to run most parts of ERZ2 with no massive speed hits. Enjoy! =)

Spoiler: SRB2NDS
This is a new venture by Oogaland, Alam and I to see what we can do with a DS port (and by succession, 3DS.) Unfortunately, the DS is not a very powerful machine and the port is currently running out of memory before it gets to the title screen, but there is going going towards that (as one of the primary reasons this port is being done is to encourage optimisations in SRB2, especially memory related ones). All the branches on the SVN also have this target, but in varying states of completeness.

Download:
http://alam.srb2.org/SRB2_MOB/nds/Release/srb2.nds

Don't expect to play SRB2 on your DS just yet, but you can always give it a try. Place your SRB2 data files on the root of your flash cart's SD card, boot it up and watch your FAT filesystem get destroyed... nah, just kidding! Just run CHKDSK/SCANDISK/fsck on it after you run SRB2NDS. Depending on whether you are using a RAM expansion or not, it will probably freeze at different points. Let me know how far you get. =)

Spoiler: SRB2PS3
Never heard of this? Not surprised. I just finished coding the make target for it just a few minutes ago. Since I don't have a PS3 yet, I have absolutely no idea if it works, so input from you guys is welcome!

Download:
http://repos.srb2.org/srb2ports/SRB2PS3.pkg (for 3.55 with geohot's CFW)
http://repos.srb2.org/srb2ports/SRB2PS3-jb.pkg (for 3.41, to be used with a PSJailbreak device)
http://repos.srb2.org/srb2ports/ps3-3.55-geohot.zip

To install this, put the contests of the ZIP file into the folder usb:/PS3/UPDATE on a USB stick, and put your SRb2 data files into the /SRB2PS3 folder on your USB stick or your PlayStation's internal hard drive. Then go into your PS3's Software Update and update to "3.55-jb" (make sure you've updated to 3.55 first). Make SURE to restart your PS3 after the update. Then you can install SRB2PS3.pkg on your PS3 by going into the Game tab of your XMB and installing it from there. It should always pop up in the Game tab then, and you can try to load it (but at the moment it fails and goes right back to the XMB).

Please test this regularly, I'll let you know when I update this, as I'll be working on it as much as I can. Right now, I have no idea how far it will or if it will even install so yeah =P Report anything you get when trying this.

Current revision the PS3 version is built to: r6752

Nintendo 3DS: 4725-7969-6387

Last edited by Callum; 04-08-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2011   #2
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.

Wouldn't you need an R4 or something to make SRB2NDS work? Also, if its memory issues you got, I'd suggest waiting for the 3DS, as its games can reach 2 giga of weight, unlike the NDS, the highest I've seen is like 120 mega...
Old 01-13-2011   #3
Violo
Resisting Pony Avatar

R4 is only compatible with NDS games (I think). Unless there's a program which runs external programs through R4, then I think it's some sort of homebrew thing for the DS.
And yes Rawr, most DS games hit the maximum of 128MB (I think Pokemon BW hit this, can't remember) so I don't think the DS has it in it.

Also, I'd happily try out the PS3 version if anyone told me how to get it to work, I thought it was unhackable. :D
Old 01-13-2011   #4
AlamGBC
WOO! GO ME! YAHOO!
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaRawrBadly>.< View Post
Wouldn't you need an R4 or something to make SRB2NDS work? Also, if its memory issues you got, I'd suggest waiting for the 3DS, as its games can reach 2 giga of weight, unlike the NDS, the highest I've seen is like 120 mega...
not ROM space, RAM space, we have less then 4 MB of it to work with

3DS FC: 0473-7778-0919
Old 01-13-2011   #5
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Okay guys, I have uploaded the latest revisions of these ports, please give them a try and test them as much as you can, all bugs must be squashed as you know. =)

Old 01-13-2011   #6
Violo
Resisting Pony Avatar

Mind explaining how to get the PS3 version to work?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Double post for a few updates. If you separate the Linux and this new version, you only get one SRB2Wii icon in Homebrew which (I think, although I'm not sure) goes to the old version. Will I need to delete/rename the meta.xml to make it work? I'll test once I'm sure I get the new version is working and not the old one.
Old 01-13-2011   #7
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violo View Post
Mind explaining how to get the PS3 version to work?

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

Double post for a few updates. If you separate the Linux and this new version, you only get one SRB2Wii icon in Homebrew which (I think, although I'm not sure) goes to the old version. Will I need to delete/rename the meta.xml to make it work? I'll test once I'm sure I get the new version is working and not the old one.
I don't have a good explanation myself, cause I don't know. I'm sure there is a good explanation somewhere (I'll look too), I'd google it. As for SRB2Wii, put them in separate folders in the /apps folder.

Oh yeah, to everyone who downloaded SRB2Wii, please rename their "srb2wii.dol" in the /apps/srb2wii folder to "boot.dol", the SRB2 build system didn't rename it properly. Sorry about that. Fixed version uploaded.

Old 01-13-2011   #8
Violo
Resisting Pony Avatar

I did put them in different folders, but I guess it was the boot.dol problem, I'll test when I get another chance.
Old 01-13-2011   #9
Chaos Zero 64

So far, SRB2Wii looks like it runs smooth as silk. But I haven't gotten past GFZ1 because of the controls. We NEED an Esc button. Unrelated to this, I added the Esc button to SRB2 Riders on the "Control Config" menu. Even if deleted with the backspace, it still works. But it's sole purpose is for having the Esc button on my 360 controller.

Anyways, choosing joysticks isn't exactly as you've stated. You can choose None, Wiimotes for players 1 through 4, and GCN controllers for players 1 and 2. When I chose the 2nd Wiimote, I lost control and had to turn on my 2nd Wiimote. I still went to the GCN controller when I booted this up, and the left control stick and the cstick don't work. And it's too awkward to play this with the tiny directional pad.

Since the nunchuck doesn't seem to respond at all, I'll try this again with the Wiimote alone. I still want to see how far I could get this time. Thanks for all the hard work, guys!
Your and You're. Learn the difference.
Old 01-13-2011   #10
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Zero 64 View Post
So far, SRB2Wii looks like it runs smooth as silk. But I haven't gotten past GFZ1 because of the controls. We NEED an Esc button. Unrelated to this, I added the Esc button to SRB2 Riders on the "Control Config" menu. Even if deleted with the backspace, it still works. But it's sole purpose is for having the Esc button on my 360 controller.

Anyways, choosing joysticks isn't exactly as you've stated. You can choose None, Wiimotes for players 1 through 4, and GCN controllers for players 1 and 2. When I chose the 2nd Wiimote, I lost control and had to turn on my 2nd Wiimote. I still went to the GCN controller when I booted this up, and the left control stick and the cstick don't work. And it's too awkward to play this with the tiny directional pad.

Since the nunchuck doesn't seem to respond at all, I'll try this again with the Wiimote alone. I still want to see how far I could get this time. Thanks for all the hard work, guys!
Yeah, I just realised that. Sorry about that. Edited the first post. I guess I'll finish off Wiimote + Nunchuk (I'm not sure if Classic Controller works either...)

Old 01-13-2011   #11
LoganA
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
Yeah, I just realised that. Sorry about that. Edited the first post. I guess I'll finish off Wiimote + Nunchuk (I'm not sure if Classic Controller works either...)
Alam and I set up the controls to work best with a sideways wiimote and Classic
Controller, anything else we requre you to edit the key bindings via the menu.

3DS FC 2707-1608-5037
Old 01-14-2011   #12
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Just updated all builds to r6548, this includes some optimizations for SRB2NDS which allow it to go further in the SRB2 boot process.

Old 01-14-2011   #13
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Updated the PS3 build to r6556, I have added in some extra code which makes sure the RSX gets started, can people please try this out to see if it works for them?

Old 01-14-2011   #14
akirahedgehog
Toasty!

How could you forget the 32X port?

Old 01-17-2011   #15
Axxhelairon

PS3 version does not work for me, on 3.55 geohot cfw, install the package, game comes up with no icon, try to load it, says "An error occurred during the start operation. (80029533)". Have a 120gig slim and other programs/games work
Old 01-17-2011   #16
Callum
Don't bug me about ports
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxhelairon View Post
PS3 version does not work for me, on 3.55 geohot cfw, install the package, game comes up with no icon, try to load it, says "An error occurred during the start operation. (80029533)". Have a 120gig slim and other programs/games work
Yeah, I know. I am experimenting with trying to fix it.

Old 01-20-2011   #17
Next-GenASD
(Mostly known as SonicASD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
Yeah, I know. I am experimenting with trying to fix it.
One reason why the game may not work/or load is because the PKG file isn't signed. By SIGNED I mean by when the PS3 tries to install it, it won't let it because the software is not by Sony. If it is signed then someone can probably try again. I'm going to test it out and see what happens. Will report back here later.

EDIT: Scratch everything I mentioned. The game does indeed install and load up, but the game won't run exactly. I can't notice what it says because the load screen seems to just appear and dissapear. It sucessfully installed and runs. Only thing is how/or where to put the game files: srb2.srb, music.dta, sonic.plr ETC.

I have a feeling that I know where the files need to go. Going to report back in a bit.

EDIT 2: I know where the files must go, thing is, it still couldn't find the srb2.wad. It found the other files just right: music.dta zones, etc. This could be something to look into Callum. I'll test anything you have updated if needed.

EDIT 3: Sorry for so much edits but, "srb2.wad doesn't have the right PWAD ID" something like that. Something to look into.

Last edited by Next-GenASD; 01-20-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2011   #18
Wolfy
wolfs
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next-GenASD View Post
One reason why the game may not work/or load is because the PKG file isn't signed. By SIGNED I mean by when the PS3 tries to install it, it won't let it because the software is not by Sony. If it is signed then someone can probably try again. I'm going to test it out and see what happens. Will report back here later.

EDIT: Scratch everything I mentioned. The game does indeed install and load up, but the game won't run exactly. I can't notice what it says because the load screen seems to just appear and dissapear. It sucessfully installed and runs. Only thing is how/or where to put the game files: srb2.srb, music.dta, sonic.plr ETC.

I have a feeling that I know where the files need to go. Going to report back in a bit.

EDIT 2: I know where the files must go, thing is, it still couldn't find the srb2.wad. It found the other files just right: music.dta zones, etc. This could be something to look into Callum. I'll test anything you have updated if needed.

EDIT 3: Sorry for so much edits but, "srb2.wad doesn't have the right PWAD ID" something like that. Something to look into.
First off, you should have srb2.srb by default unless you renamed the extension to .wad. Second, if it has the wrong PWAD ID, you the file was edited or corrupted. Remember to also put the files in /SRB2PS3 in the USB or hard drive.
[23:56:36] <SM-MaxX> prisma illya is a gift to this impure earth and a shining beacon for all anime
Old 01-21-2011   #19
Kopper
Does not use Sonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next-GenASD View Post
Just for the record, you don't need to be Sony to sign PS3/PSP code.
Old 01-21-2011   #20
LoganA
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
Yea, we do know about that.

3DS FC 2707-1608-5037