SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 02-28-2017   #5521
Nomekop

Alright, this is more of a bugfixy thing, but it might not be considered a true bug? I better just say it.

Change the behavior of Lua checking non-existent freeslots to just assume that the sprite or object type being checked does not exist, and run the code past that point, instead of breaking the code at that point. This would allow for much better inter-mod compatibility, as you would be able to simply add the said freeslot to your script, instead of having to dedicate multiple lines to checking if it exists in the first place, which might not be very efficient when it comes to a table.
Nomekop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017   #5522
TehRealSalt
/me FLEX ᕦ(◉ᴥ◉)ᕥ
Developer

Try using this.
Code:
if pcall(do return _G["MT_WHATEVER"] end)
Or "if not" for checking if it doesn't exist. pcall takes a function, and returns true and said function's return variables if it runs without errors. Otherwise, it will return false and the error message. Monster Iestyn helped me find this while trying to add error handling to Object Shadows' addshadow command.
TehRealSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #5523
Arf

Suggestion: Please make game better.
Thank you.
Arf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #5524
Monster psychic cat

Will automatically happen after it gets out of development hell. (not soon)
Monster psychic cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #5525
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf View Post
Suggestion: Please make game better.
Thank you.
Well I personally want you guys to make the game worse, so there.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017   #5526
RomioTheBadass
Right there, Criminal Scum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Methinks the issue which needs to be solved is the HOM (which isn't something you should see in an unmodified game at all), then. Make the joiner start in a blank intermission page if no gamestate is downloaded to get around it.
Anything that doesn't ruin the screen should do :), Numerous times i ended up on server with inttime set to 30 seconds or Higher, I couldn't see messages or anything.
Old 03-04-2017   #5527
Ritz
cornstar

When you press and hold the spindash button while airborne, you should immediately go into a roll when you land- the equivalent of holding down on the d-pad when you land on a slope in the classic games.

Case study: While underwater, running is subject to frictional drag. Thoking allows you to exceed that drag slightly. Spinning underwater uncaps your speed entirely. I'd like to thok onto a slope and immediately roll upon landing to preserve that aerial momentum without the floor friction kicking in. Slopes are otherwise useless for building momentum underwater.
Old 03-04-2017   #5528
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
When you press and hold the spindash button while airborne, you should immediately go into a roll when you land- the equivalent of holding down on the d-pad when you land on a slope in the classic games.
Sounds a cool idea, though I'm not sure how that would mesh with us using spin in mid-air for triggering shield abilities, Super Sonic's float, some secondary effects for some of those character abilities ported from SRB2Morphed, etc...

...on the other hand, holding spin while rolling/spindashing off a platform edge and landing onto another apparently DOES retain the player in rolling form in SRB2 already. I didn't know this myself until a few years ago, funny that.
Monster Iestyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017   #5529
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Ritz, I've already SORT of done what you want in internal. You can't do it if you've thokked, which is an attempt to prevent the ability from absolutely cheesing speedrunning and the likes. (I might change this to just have a speed cap of less than the player's actionspd to allow for the scenario you've described, though. Maybe actionspd/2.)

Also, MI, it's basically just how the classic games do it and it's not like those Morphed abilities got any meaningful use outside of Metal Anyone, being released in the same major update as Lua scripting. I'm half considering scrapping Telekinesis and Air Drill because they make the code more complicated, die when you pick up a whirlwind shield, and Releases is basically clear of them. Even Telekinesis - which was a generic bone to the Silver character WADs people made - is irrelevant because Lat`put in some cool effort.

I dunno. Thoughts?
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm

Last edited by toaster; 03-04-2017 at 11:45 AM.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017   #5530
Bluecore
Cyansonic

I would appreciate some form of optional username registration. Sort of how you are able to register a username in IRC chat rooms. I've been notified of people who have used my username in malicious ways in more times than I can count on one hand. One of these instances, the faker started asking other members on the server for nudes. It's starting to become an issue. I hadn't played the game in a month, yet I had someone approach me with a chat log of some person impersonating me.

http://pastebin.com/kkdacxL4

BillGates
Bluecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017   #5531
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

There were ancient pre-2.0 plans called SRB2Live which attempted to connect Message Board accounts and the Master Server. Evidently, there was some obstruction which prevented this from happening, but you'd have to ask other people (Inu would be very likely to have details) why this didn't pan out.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017   #5532
RomioTheBadass

Make super characters glow in dark sections (Probably with Dynamic lights ?), Not sure if there's an equivalent to this for Software renderer, If you do maybe add an S_SKIN Parameter to let players choose Glow color RGB value ?
Old 03-06-2017   #5533
Nomekop

Do you mean lighting up the area? If so, that isn't possible with the present software renderer. However, if you mean making the sprite FF_FULLBRIGHT when super, that would probably work, and might look better in dark places than Super Sonic currently does. Thing is, do you make the trails fullbright too?

But really: you could probably do that with a simple lua script, if you wanted to see what it looked like yourself.
Nomekop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017   #5534
RomioTheBadass

I meant Corona effects, ya know like those from GZDoom surrounding the player but yeah Fullbright might look better.

Last edited by RomioTheBadass; 03-06-2017 at 05:19 PM.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017   #5535
MK.exe
aaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Can Water reflections be a done in Srb2?
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017   #5536
~Confusion~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
I meant Corona effects, ya know like those from GZDoom surrounding the player but yeah Fullbright might look better.
Do you mean... Something like this?

<hms> nice try aries
<~Despicable Me> Lol 2 hms
Despicable Me renamed to hms
Back then we all had windows xp... Lucky we were =S
~Confusion~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017   #5537
Aquatic Hinote
Inferno Drag -- wait, Swag

Heck yes :D
super aura for life
Old 03-07-2017   #5538
RomioTheBadass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Confusion~ View Post
Do you mean... Something like this?
Yeah, Really makes Super characters look much brighter instead of just leaving blur behind them, How do you do that ? are you using some kind of Custom .exe ?
Old 03-07-2017   #5539
Sapheros
That guy that ports

That's 1.09.4, coronas used to be available, but only in OpenGL, it was most likely removed due to incompatibility with Software, the highly recommended renderer.
Old 03-07-2017   #5540
RomioTheBadass

Those Monitors and the Weapon selection don't look like the ones from 1.09.4