• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[WIP] The Return of GraphicX8000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicX8000

Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge
Some of you may know about GraphicX8000.wad. Well seeing as I've been porting a few sprites from 2.0 into 2.1... some old and new and kinda getting somewhere. I figure it's time I started a topic about it besides in irc.

I don't think words are needed, but rather some screenshots to show some progress. It's kinda GIF heavy.
srb2WIPX8000-01.gif

Console Font & HUD stuff. Level Title font may be changed. The Time stuff is suppose to be like Sonic CD's but I hope it doesn't break anything else.
srb2WIPX8000-02.gif

Fancy some Chaos Emeralds and a Emerald Hunt Shard? Yes, it's actually a shard this time. Oh and they animate.
srb2WIPX8000-03.gif

Back in v5.5 the Weapon Ring Panels were colored rings but because they were small I figure I make them bigger... and why not throw in a ring while I'm at it for comparing size? Only 2 panels since the rest aren't done yet.
srb2WIPX8000-04.gif

A Severe Cannonball Storm Warning is in effect in your area. Take shelter now.
srb2WIPX8000-05.gif

WIP Nights stuff. Font is prone to change since it feels big in my opinion and some elements haven't been changed yet. *Dang, forgot to show the hoop.*
srb2WIPX8000-06.png

A Boss HP Meter? A rather fancy one at that. Since the release of 2.1.7 lua was optimized so it doesn't lag the game badly especially during Nights Levels and such.
==========
Still quite a lot of things left to do, such as having an idea with the Item Boxes and seeing if there's a way to alter the console colors since by default they use 2 shades in the White/Black Palette to change colors and Green & Blue colors tend to be hard to read but at least the other colors are alright. Not sure if Lua can work with it but if it's a hard-coded thing then my options are quite limited.

Updates will come as progress gets done.

Last edited:
this mod was the one that inspired me to do my Sonic CD graphics mod.Good luck completing it. I look forward to the results.

I really like those emeralds and how you got them to animate during the NiGHTs special stages. Nicely done.

Still opting to add gradients to every single text possible, I see. It does seem like a bit of an over-usage, really.

They look just awesome! Especially the animated emeralds! But is that green shapeless emerald the master emerald?

srb2WIPX8000-07.gif

Spikeballs, they're sharp & pointy still although I think I may tone down the shading on the spikes. Now trying to make the ball sphere-like took forever and I kinda think that it may be off at some parts.
srb2WIPX8000-08.gif

A starpost that's based off of Sonic Advance 2's. It might be tacky but not eye-bleeding with a yellow-gold base. The Ball is suppose to act like Sonic CD's Starpost.
srb2WIPX8000-09.gif

Now I can see this having a major use on custom sprites & states, which will leave some default sprites unused. *aka every item box icon will have their own flip animation.* Also I need to make sure that the effects of the box doesn't happen early or late. *The gap between when you break open the box and when you get the effects of said box is 16 tics by default.

Last edited:
Wow, I like what I see so far! I always loved this graphic WAD, and I can't wait to see it come back! (Can't wait to download it either!) I just hope it doesn't have an effect in joining servers with it on (you know, like music WADs?).

Wow, I like what I see so far! I always loved this graphic WAD, and I can't wait to see it come back! (Can't wait to download it either!) I just hope it doesn't have an effect in joining servers with it on (you know, like music WADs?).
It does, unfortunately.

It looks amazing! Do you have anything else done?
Yes, although progress has been slow due to other projects or things. I wanna at least get some more stuff done before making updates.

Here's a small bit of things.
grade.PNG

NiGHTS Grade stuff. F is Wood, E is Stone, D is Metal, C is Bronze, B is Silver, A is Gold and Rainbow A being a Platinum S.
newitemicon.PNG

Some icons for Item Boxes, some may be off but at least Elemental isn't a Gem-Like Icon now.

Yes, although progress has been slow due to other projects or things. I wanna at least get some more stuff done before making updates.

grade.PNG

NiGHTS Grade stuff. F is Wood, E is Stone, D is Metal, C is Bronze, B is Silver, A is Gold and Rainbow A being a Platinum S.
newitemicon.PNG

Some icons for Item Boxes, some may be off but at least Elemental isn't a Gem-Like Icon now.

I'm liking the life box icons! I didn't know you could animate them like that.

I'm liking the life box icons! I didn't know you could animate them like that.
They're just Item Box Icons, and with freeslots I can have them animate much like what I did to the Emeralds & Shard, etc. The only problem I'm going to run into is the Character Life Item Boxes due to the way they're used so I'll just leave those static.

grade.PNG

I think F and E look a bit dark, C isn't really shaded lightly enough, and the S is a bit too bright for my tastes. But the rest is okay for me!

newitemicon.PNG

Looking good! Can't wait to see what you have in mind for the (other) multiplayer exclusive item boxes (You know, like that position swapping one?) The Force Shield (the window-y one) seems a bit odd-looking though.

Last edited:
FieryExplosion said:
I think F and E look a bit dark, C isn't really shaded lightly enough, and the S is a bit too bright for my tastes. But the rest is okay for me!
F isn't that dark and E is more of a dark-rock bit, I didn't want it to be lighter to clash with D and C lacks light-brown shades in the palette. As for S I made it very bright on purpose because... well erm, it's suppose to be very shiny & bright for achieving beyond the average limits.

FieryExplosion said:
The Force Shield (the window-y one) seems a bit odd-looking though.
It was a old icon at the time when Force Shield was able to reflect bullets and such, but was very buggy in 2.0. The icon is going to be more hexagon-like.
==========
srb20005.png

Emerald Hunt Icons changed, although they're kinda big. *Don't mind the other HUD changes, I just loaded an out-dated levelpack that had emerald hunt levels in it and it had a few graphic replacements for the HUD.*

srb20007.png

Emblem Radar Icons changed. Again they're kinda big and the icon is perhaps off but it's rather tricky trying to get it right. *Again, another levelpack used that has 6 hidden emblems.*

It was a old icon at the time when Force Shield was able to reflect bullets and such, but was very buggy in 2.0. The icon is going to be more hexagon-like.

I see... well that explains that. They did say something about the Force Shield doing that, but I didn't really notice it ingame. Oh well.

srb20005.png

Emerald Hunt Icons changed, although they're kinda big. *Don't mind the other HUD changes, I just loaded an out-dated levelpack that had emerald hunt levels in it and it had a few graphic replacements for the HUD.*

srb20007.png

Emblem Radar Icons changed. Again they're kinda big and the icon is perhaps off but it's rather tricky trying to get it right. *Again, another levelpack used that has 6 hidden emblems.*

lol at SonicAdventurev2.wad being used

I'm liking what I see so far. Pretty darn cool-looking and better than what the SADX/SA2B WADs have to offer there.

Does the Emblem Radar really work like the Emerald Hunt radar? I haven't unlocked it yet, so I'm not really sure.

FieryExplosion said:
Does the Emblem Radar really work like the Emerald Hunt radar? I haven't unlocked it yet, so I'm not really sure.
Pretty much, yes. Closer you get, the more beeps it gives and such.
==========
srb2WIPX8000-13.gif

Slight sign edit and 'End of Act' results. Font has been changed.
srb2WIPX8000-11.png

Guard Bonus is now called Evade Bonus. *Less damage taken, higher bonus by the way.*
srb2WIPX8000-12.png

Might as well throw in this as well.

Last edited:
*Double Post*
Been kinda busy so haven't posted some more screens.
srb2WIPX8000-15.png

Kinda some support for Splitscreen. Some things to note is a altered ringcounter script for use with this mod and altered the boss meter script to show correctly in Splitscreen. The score stuff is overlapping I know but this is because it shares it's HUDITEM in Single Player and whatever edits I do it'll affect the pos in Splitscreen as well. I think this is fixable via lua but I don't know what stuff to use at the moment.

srb2WIPX8000-16.gif

Item boxes changed although I think it might be lacking and also a few changes. The 1up is the odd one out here due to the way the A_1upThinker is used so instead I gave it a flashy effect and yes it works with all characters. *The player icons won't show on the extra frames so I did a small hack to show a 1up icon on the frames that the face icon goes poof.* Oh and invincibility sparks changed.

If anyone might know how to have the face icon stop flickering that would be helpful, but it's not a priority for now.

Last edited:
Absolutely epic, I must say. All of these screenshots and gifs look kickass. Can't wait for this to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back