Super SRB2 Kart Z =NOT EXACTLY CANCELED=

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that that feather in that HUD item box image is gonna be used. It's better off as a rare item than a shield, IMO.

It won't, ever. Drop all hopes right now. Feather icon, I dunno, but definetly not as an actual normal item. It is far too strong to be a normal item.

Eh, since the cats already out the bag, I'd like to point out that the karts Eggman and Sonic are in will be the final karts.

It won't, ever. Drop all hopes right now. Feather icon, I dunno, but definetly not as an actual normal item. It is far too strong to be a normal item.

Plus, the WW shield is the replacement of the feather. So, unless the shield icons are redisned, it's not likely to show up.

When I say rare, I mean RARE. Like, bullet bill rare (OK, maybe "bullet bill rare" is a bit much). I understand how strong it is, so that's what I meant. That'd be rarer than the whirlwind shield is now.

When I say rare, I mean RARE. Like, bullet bill rare (OK, maybe "bullet bill rare" is a bit much). I understand how strong it is, so that's what I meant. That'd be rarer than the whirlwind shield is now.

The WW shield is the replacement of the feather. So, unless the shield icons are redesigned, it's not likely to show up.

Plus, as D00D said, it's not gonna be added. And his word is as good as Zarro's and also Iceman's.

It won't, ever. Drop all hopes right now. Feather icon, I dunno, but definitely not as an actual normal item. It is far too strong to be a normal item.

The only reason it's become this strong is due to Zarro adding shortcuts to maps that don't really need it. Yes, MC4 and Donut Plains have rediculous shortcuts, but those can be trimmed down with invisible walls (Already killed MC4 with them too!)

The item is only as powerful as the level designer makes it to be.

You know, I'm kinda offended at the simple mention of using invisible walls and star post positions to prevent players from doing things that look rationally possible. That is the lamest and stupidest possible way to prevent exploits. If you need to prevent players from taking obscene shortcuts, use VISIBLE, obvious walls to prevent the shortcut.

The feather, in SMK, is likely the most overpowered item in the game. In many stages it doesn't actually prove that nuts, but in several it is completely game-breaking. There is a reason they didn't include it in MK64, and all the wall hopping exploits in MK64 clearly demonstrate this. Imagine if you could do that at will! There is a reason it was removed from the Mario Kart franchise and putting it into SRB2 Kart would bring all those reasons to the forefront. It is not something that can be fixed with level design without completely ruining the fun of the item. It's either completely overpowered or useless.

I don't exactly support invisible walls either, but that's what's currently in place to prevent the player from breaking the course with whirlwind. To be honest, the only time the whirlwind sheild becomes a problem is during a race on a ported map. A custom map won't be so flat and cause so many problems, because it's easy to limit the sheilds ability to a single area. I believe Cheep Cheep Coast only has two areas where the sheild would be useful.

I don't exactly support invisible walls either, but that's what's currently in place to prevent the player from breaking the course with whirlwind.

This is completely untrue. Invisible walls were put in MC4 to prevent Mega Mushroom users from simply driving over the walls. However, I made the invisible walls too high. They shall be removed entirely, with the normal walls raised.

Then the least I can ask for is to make the whirlwind shield rarer. If it's so overwhelmingly overpowered, then it shouldn't be so common, should it? Unless you were over-exaggerating, that is.
Seriously, I can get the whirlwind shield in first in a race with few people, and second in a race with more. Commonly.

Seriously, I can get the whirlwind shield in first in a race with few people, and second in a race with more. Commonly.

The code would say differently, sir. It is absolutely impossible to get a whirlwind shield in first -- the only available shield to first is the half-force shield.

That said, if you stopped the item roulette in 2nd+ and then used it in first, then it could be. The item is determined when the roulette stops, not when used. (Because the "?" icon is just a graphic replacement if the "random result" variable is true.)

Seriously, first place gets 90% shit for the good reason of "Fuck the person in first". See: Blue Shells, Blue Lightning.

Would it really be an issue to allow 1st place to get the attraction (Yellow) shield? It has the same defense as the half-force, but would just allow the player to prevent the followers of getting things to hit 1st with. It wouldn't really be overpowered, as it only works once. It also feels sorta "meh" to KNOW that you will ALWAYS get a certain shield.
(Please don't take this as a complaint, it was intended to be a suggestion with reasoning)

Actually, that's a good one...unless the other players are farther behind. Not to mention that it wouldn't be overpowered anyway since the other players will just get the items later AND player 1 gets crappy items...yeeeah, it might just be underpowered. Unless player 1 gets a green shell/banana peel which we know player 1 will 'cause he always does and holds it out behind him, blocking in potential red shells or whatever. That's still not very easy though, at least for me. I personally find it harder to control holding one button down. It confuses me (but I've done it successfully a few times). Unless-yes, ANOTHER unless-player 1 gets a fake item box which doesn't block anything. ...This is a circumstantial suggestion, isn't it? =p

And I swear I remember getting the whirlwind shield in, to be specific, a two player race in first. Hmmm...

I think that it may be a good idea if the chances for shields for solo TT races are 50:50 between the Elemental (Free Mushroom) shield and the Whirlwind (Feather) Shield, as the other shields are useless and would prevent improvements of the lap times.

As for the Feather/WW shield debate, I'm somewhat on the fence. True, some of my maps have WW Shield routes (Fire Field and White Land, for example) while others don't. (Big Blue) It just depends on a few factors. I DO, however, have it where there's more than one place to use the WW shield, making desiding when to use it just as important.

If it's too situational to be useful in most maps (and powerful enough for stupid things such as invisible walls to come into play because it completely breaks other maps), it's obviously not a well-designed mechanic and should be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back