Super Smash Flash 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
http://mcleodgaming.com/games.php

It took ages for the latest demo to come out, and now it's clear why--it's freaking awesome. This one includes 14 characters (plus a secret character), 20 stages, 17 kinds of items, and a really advanced Brawl mode with all kinds of customizable rules and settings.

It's not without bugs, and it only has a tiny fraction of what the finished product will feature, but it really gives you a glimpse of just how ambitious this fangame is. The great thing about it is that even though the gameplay is essentially a primitive version of Brawl, this game very much likes to do its own thing (character roster, items, stages, proposed gameplay modes). I'd definitely recommend giving this a whirl.

I played this looooonnnggg before this topic came out. The demos are good, but some things can be improved. The original Super Smash Flash is no match for this, though. Good thing he doesn't put this on sale, or two things would happen:
No-one ever buying it,
and a Lawsuit.

Oh, I've played the demo before this topic came out (by a long shot), but what's the secret character? (I haven't played it much recently).

The secret character is Black Mage from Final Fantasy. You unlock him by playing a lot of battles.

The AI sucks. As Lloyd I simply stood on the edge of the map and mindlessly spammed Sonic Thrust and racked up large amounts of points. Sometimes they just kill themselves.
The stages are too gimmicky and some things (like the teleportation in the Mario Galaxy level) can catch you off-guard. Oh, and bumpers suck.
The characters don't seem to be very balanced, considering that Tails's Final Smash is hilariously easy to dodge, Lloyd can achieve flight through an infinite jump trick, and Ness's Up-B really has no weakness anymore.
The items come up too much and there's barely any variety. I constantly got the Assist Trophy that put all my opponents in a helpless position for a fairly long amount of time, which made racking up points even easier.
There's some bugs in it. Sometimes my character flies at ridiculous speeds for no apparent reason, and sometimes my opponents are fucking rocks and can't be sent flying.
The constant camera moving makes it pretty easy to get distracted and lose sight of what's happen.

Needs work.

Needs work.

Well, that's why it's a demo, huh?

I thought overall, besides the glitches and poor hitboxes, it was pretty awesome for a fangame. I was surprised at all the variety of moves the characters have, especially. Megaman is SO overpowered, though.

The constant camera moving makes it pretty easy to get distracted and lose sight of what's happen.

I haven't yet played the newest demo, so I don't know whether the camera has somewhat improved or not in the latest demo.

This is a problem that might be rather difficult to fix, since the camera zooming out and zooming in and moving all around requires a decent amount of resizing on-screen images constantly, which of course can make them look nasty and can cause the game a fair bit of lag on some occasions.

Though, again, I haven't played the newest demo.

The AI sucks.
It sucked a hell of a lot worse in every previous version of the demo. Each new version features progressively better AI. So it's pretty obvious he's working at it; given time, I think it'll get considerably smarter.

OK, so, I've been messing with this. I mean, I realize this is just a fan project made by a few teenagers and anime fans, but I'm really not impressed. First off, I will say they did some pretty nice sprite editing, although I get the feeling that it probably isn't their work. Maybe it is, and I'm just way too cynical for my own good. Eh.

The gameplay is... decent enough for a game made in Flash. I don't like the controls a whole lot, but it's pretty hard to port controls for a game so reliant on the analog stick to a keyboard. You can't really do anything like A > A > special move, and the game basically randomly chooses whether you want to do a >A attack or a Smash attack.

But what bugs me the most is, why the hell are they just putting in random anime characters in this? It doesn't fit at all! I mean, sure, putting in Mega Man works, but that's because he's a video game character. Sticking in people like Goku makes your project basically look like an inconsistent piece of, pardon my French, fan wank. Next you'll be telling me they put Chuck Norris in as a secret character.

Also, nothing with Naruto can ever be truly good. Truth.

OK, so, I've been messing with this. I mean, I realize this is just a fan project made by a few teenagers and anime fans, but I'm really not impressed. First off, I will say they did some pretty nice sprite editing, although I get the feeling that it probably isn't their work. Maybe it is, and I'm just way too cynical for my own good. Eh.

I'm pretty sure they do make the edits themselves.

The gameplay is... decent enough for a game made in Flash. I don't like the controls a whole lot, but it's pretty hard to port controls for a game so reliant on the analog stick to a keyboard. You can't really do anything like A > A > special move, and the game basically randomly chooses whether you want to do a >A attack or a Smash attack.

The default control set is undeniably bad, but that's why you get the option to change it. Try mapping the keys this way instead:

Move: Left Arrow and Right Arrow
Crouch: Down Arrow
Jump: Up Arrow
Up: Up Arrow (yes, two actions mapped to the same key, so what?)
Standard: O
Special: P
Shield: I
Grab: U
Taunt: 1

With this key configuration, moving the character feels a little more like playing Brawl with a GameCube controller. Taunting is awkward, but it's not necessary anyway.

Also, I personally find it no more difficult to do a Smash Attack than in the real game. It's just pressing Standard Attack and a directional simultaneously, as opposed to one after the other.

But what bugs me the most is, why the hell are they just putting in random anime characters in this? It doesn't fit at all! I mean, sure, putting in Mega Man works, but that's because he's a video game character. Sticking in people like Goku makes your project basically look like an inconsistent piece of, pardon my French, fan wank. Next you'll be telling me they put Chuck Norris in as a secret character.

I agree that Naruto was an idiotic addition to the roster, but you should at least give Cleod 9 props for taking this in a new direction. Would you seriously want SSF2 to be a straight port of Brawl? There'd be no point; you'd have seen it all before, not to mention with far superior graphics and AI.

I do, however, think you're right to say the game needs a bit less anime. I personally consider Goku to be justified, as he fits well in the context of a fighting game, but Naruto and Bleach are taking up space that could be filled with some other non-Nintendo video game character to spice things up. For instance, it would be awesome to see Crash Bandicoot in there (but for the love of God base him on the ORIGINAL games).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they do make the edits themselves.

You're probably right. Like I said, I'm just cynical when it comes to these kinds of things. :P

With this key configuration, moving the character feels a little more like playing Brawl with a GameCube controller. Taunting is awkward, but it's not necessary anyway. Also, I personally find it no more difficult to do a Smash Attack than in the real game. It's just pressing Standard Attack and a directional simultaneously, as opposed to one after the other.
It's not the key configuration I have a problem with, it's actually doing things. Like I said, things don't really chain together as well as the actual Smash Brothers games. I mean, those are the kinds of games where combos don't matter quite as much, but still.

I agree that Naruto was an idiotic addition to the roster, but you should at least give Cleod 9 props for taking this in a new direction. Would you seriously want SSF2 to be a straight port of Brawl? There'd be no point; you'd have seen it all before, not to mention with far superior graphics and AI.
No, I'm perfectly OK with new game characters in this, sorry if my last post came off like I wasn't. I mean, look at all the people who wanted pretty much every game character ever in Brawl. I'd personally be pretty happy if they took requests. Although I'd prefer less stuff like Cloud and Chrono and characters like Duke Nukem and the Lost Vikings. I'm nerdy like that.

I do, however, think you're right to say the game needs a bit less anime. I personally consider Goku to be justified, as he fits well in the context of a fighting game, but Naruto and Bleach are taking up space that could be filled with some other non-Nintendo video game character to spice things up. For instance, it would be awesome to see Crash Bandicoot in there (but for the love of God base him on the ORIGINAL games).

Eh, I don't really agree about Goku, but I'm glad you agree about the other anime stuff. And yeah, Crash Bandicoot would be pretty awesome. Sony's got quite a few characters that'd be pretty awesome for a Smash Brothers game, really. Sly Cooper, anyone?

Megaman is SO overpowered, though.

Saw this coming the moment I used his Down Special.

No, I'm perfectly OK with new game characters in this, sorry if my last post came off like I wasn't. I mean, look at all the people who wanted pretty much every game character ever in Brawl. I'd personally be pretty happy if they took requests. Although I'd prefer less stuff like Cloud and Chrono and characters like Duke Nukem and the Lost Vikings. I'm nerdy like that.

Agreed. It would be more awesome(but hard to balance) if the Lost Vikings were in a Pokemon Trainer-like setup and couldn't do anything but what they specialized in like in the SNES games.

Last edited:
signing up for this site=5 minutes of my time. getting a good avatar=10 minutes. posting this=3 minutes waiting for the audio to load on this demo=forever

signing up for this site=5 minutes of my time. getting a good avatar=10 minutes. posting this=3 minutes waiting for the audio to load on this demo=forever

This...is actually true.

Here's my little feelings about the game:
  • Why does loading this take forever, and why is there the need to have seperate loading for EACH portion of the game (Extra resources? WHAT EXTRA RESOURCES?).
  • Looking over the default controls, they suck. Unless you have a huge keyboard or tiny arms, it's garunteed that your hands will be somewhat squished together. So I have no idea what would influence these kinds of controls. Is using the arrow keys really that taboo?
  • Doing these smash attacks are hard as hell to perform because this game obviously has a hard time recognizing when two buttons are pressed at the same time
  • My last quip is that the music loops horribly.
Now, here's my impressions of the newly added characters (The original characters work fairly the same as they do in Brawl)
  • Ichigo - Ike, except even more overpowered
  • Sora - Pretty much Meta Knight, but with a few differences and an absolutely pain in the ass glide.
  • Naruto - I just hate this guy. Flat-out.
  • Tails - Eh, nothing really to say
  • Lloyd - See above...
  • Mega Man - Pretty much how some guy would cheat as him in MvC2. Just hold B and shoot.
  • Goku - With a fully-charged B that can inflict 50%+ damage and a final smash nearly the same as Super Sonic, this is hilarious.
Overall, decent game, but it has glaring issues and somewhat decent characters with generic gameplay.

Loading takes one second for me. Are you guys really having problems with it?

Also, Scizor, what's your opinion of Black Mage?

Last edited:
Loading takes one second for me. Are you guys really having problems with it?

Also, Scizor, what's your opinion of Black Mage?

It takes ages to load the first time. It gets relatively faster afterwards.

Also, I couldn't stand to play the game enough to unlock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back