How does coding work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

How incredibly amusing! Your bad attempt at a humorous response, does not provide any useful information at all!

Computer programming is the art of making a computer, well, do things. Whereas traditionally one would directly give the CPU instructions to execute - this is called assembly language (and is very simple, for example, 'load the eax register with the value 12', then 'subtract the value in ebx from eax', then 'push the value in eax to the stack', then 'call the subroutine called something'), in modern years, this has been supplanted first by high level programming languages, whose compilers do much work for you, for example in C, you could simply do something(12 - somevar);, which is roughly equivalent to the above assembly example, assuming somevar contained the value that would otherwise be in ebx.

You're going to have to be more specific, WEREHOG. There are many ways to program, there's no right answer (though some would dictate that there is).

Ok. I am a No body in coding. I never have done coding? What do I download 1st of all? I never have had any coding experience.

Type stuff in notepad and then poke it with a stick, basically. Then run it through a compiler.

Seriously, though, I have no fucking clue.

Let me ask you something first and foremost: what do you want to code? That is highly important, because the best programming language and compiler to use depends heavily on what you intend to accomplish. If you want to tinker with SRB2, you should grab some tutorials on how to program in C, then download a good C compiler. But there are loads of other programming codes, such as C++, C-sharp, Java, and the like, and each one is useful for different sorts of applications.

All I want to do is make a few changes.

They are:

1. opengl on at the start.
2. Add wads like rosy.plr and other characters.

They are:

1)
In win32/win_vid.c:
-#ifdef HWRENDER
- else if (M_CheckParm("-opengl"))
- rendermode = render_opengl;
- else
-#endif

+#ifdef HWRENDER
+ rendermode = render_opengl;
+#endif

2)
In d_main.c, seek out the function IdentifyVersion. The modifications to make there are self-explanitory.

How much room do I need for C? What one do I use? I need one that is small enough for me to have. Like under 6 gb!

They are:

You can do these with the Command Line and autoexec.cfg. :3

1a. Make a shortcut of SRB2. Place it wherever you want.
1b. Edit the Properties of the shortcut (right click)
1c. Go to the end of the "Target" section, after the last ".
1d. Type -ogl at the end. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
1e. SRB2 now loads OpenGL on startup, if you pick the SHORTCUT to load SRB2. :3

2a. Open/create Autoexec.cfg in Notepad. If you're confused, name it autoexec.txt and rename it later.
2b. Enter any console commands you want, each new command on a new line. (Example at bottom)
2c. Create binds if you don't want them to load as soon as you begin, so that you can actually join netgames.
2d. Rename your newly created file to autoexec.cfg! If it's called autoexec.cfg.txt, you're doing it wrong.

EXAMPLE AUTOEXEC.CFG:
Code:
name "Somebody"
color green
skin knuckles
bind 1 "addfile senku.wad; addfile hinote1.1.wad; addfile ko.t.e.wad; bind 1; bind 2"
bind 2 "echo Netgame Mode Enabled; bind 1; bind 2"

Pressing bind 1 and 2 will erase the binds in the example. Bind 2 makes sure you don't accidentally press bind 1 during the game to add WADs. :3

You can do these with the Command Line and autoexec.cfg. :3

1a. Make a shortcut of SRB2. Place it wherever you want.
1b. Edit the Properties of the shortcut (right click)
1c. Go to the end of the "Target" section, after the last ".
1d. Type -ogl at the end. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
1e. SRB2 now loads OpenGL on startup, if you pick the SHORTCUT to load SRB2. :3

2a. Open/create Autoexec.cfg in Notepad. If you're confused, name it autoexec.txt and rename it later.
2b. Enter any console commands you want, each new command on a new line. (Example at bottom)
2c. Create binds if you don't want them to load as soon as you begin, so that you can actually join netgames.
2d. Rename your newly created file to autoexec.cfg! If it's called autoexec.cfg.txt, you're doing it wrong.

EXAMPLE AUTOEXEC.CFG:
Code:
name "Somebody"
color green
skin knuckles
bind 1 "addfile senku.wad; addfile hinote1.1.wad; addfile ko.t.e.wad; bind 1; bind 2"
bind 2 "echo Netgame Mode Enabled; bind 1; bind 2"

Pressing bind 1 and 2 will erase the binds in the example. Bind 2 makes sure you don't accidentally press bind 1 during the game to add WADs. :3

I think he wants an EXE that will load the WADs on startup, as in the game still thinking it's unmodified.

So you are saying to try to look at every fucking file and downlaod them all to get the smallest?

...No, why would I? Oh, you mean which file you use to make the changes? Well, you would create an entirely new one, but you also need all the other ones to compile the EXE. But since you don't have an idea how to implement a new source file into the project (I don't have an idea either), you're better off forgetting about it. Or hoping someone else will answer.

The questions you're asking can basically be answered like this:
Learn C, then come back and try again.

You aren't going to get anywhere by asking a ton of questions about programming on this forum. You're going to drive yourself crazy. Instead, go and google "C Programming", find yourself some free tutorials or buy yourself a book or something, learn the language, then come back and take a look at SRB2's source files and see if you can work with those. You aren't going to get the answers you're looking for here.

The questions you're asking can basically be answered like this:
Learn C, then come back and try again.

You aren't going to get anywhere by asking a ton of questions about programming on this forum. You're going to drive yourself crazy. Instead, go and google "C Programming", find yourself some free tutorials or buy yourself a book or something, learn the language, then come back and take a look at SRB2's source files and see if you can work with those. You aren't going to get the answers you're looking for here.

Rob, C is a bit more than simply knowing the language. SRB2 will take exploration anyway, it's a (fairly) big monolithic block and you need time to get acquainted with the concepts. Also, setting up the compiler, and dealing with it, and the linker, and libraries, is also something that needs to be learnt before you can even start C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back