Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I've just got to fix a certain Sigsevg that happens at a certain point in Battle Fleet Zone 2, or start afresh.

Edit: I'm going to have to cancel my entry, my dog's pregnant...

Last edited:
Manhole or streetpole hole?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQT2d9VNy6M

Should've posted it in this thread first, but this is a short video showing off Twilight City Act 1, or part of it anyways. The rest of it doesn't exist yet, but production is going well on it.

At 0:51 of the video the manhole is too big, but I guess the camera would mess up right?
Could you make it so there is only 2 holes? (one for Sonic, 1 for the camera.)
So it seems Sonic is coming out for one hole.
If you don't get what I am says pm me and I will draw a picture.

At 0:51 of the video the manhole is too big, but I guess the camera would mess up right?
Could you make it so there is only 2 holes? (one for Sonic, 1 for the camera.)
So it seems Sonic is coming out for one hole.
If you don't get what I am says pm me and I will draw a picture.

I tried making exactly that the first time I made this area, and it still messed up the camera to a large extent, even if the hole was placed exactly where the camera was.

Maybe if you put an Intangible Opaque FOF over the manhole (other then the part Sonic comes out of, of course) the camera would phase through? I believe it worked that way in 1.09.4, so it should work in 2.0.

I will do my best to submit a map of mine! I have it in my head... Now the rest is to add somethings to the plans and start building! I hope I can make it to the contest. I consider contests as a way to get better in mapping!

I've changed plans and begun a CTF map, which already has pretty much the basics laid down - all that remains is Thing Placement and the fine polish. Also, I've got screenshots of Fortified Library Zone to prove it isn't a fluke:

srb20001.png

srb20000.png

srb20005.png

Well, yeah, it could use better placement of those, but keep in mind that's ammo and not weapon panels. Even if it were all weapon panels, that wouldn't be nearly as bad as 1.09's World of Pain.

In THZ2, Knuckles can climb the conveyer belt near the end of the level:

2qiv2bm.png

With this, he quickly gets carried to the top and gets a mega boost which he can take advantage of and ''fly'' really high:

14mqnvc.png

Maybe someone should try something with that!

It needs texture variation. The brick textures don't look nice on large walls and flats.

Well, duh. Noticed it already, but there's not much I can change there, as castles more or less require bricks. I can try to add some other structures for variation, tho.

Yeah, as long as you have some sector variation along the edges of the stage, your castles shouldn't look like giant dull walls of doom. Even a couple horizontal strips spanning all across the borders would make them look a bit better. And you can also try lowering the ceiling height too, if you must.

I can already see myself giving you ops for this one, Errol. But, yeah, some texture variation, and hopefully the gameplay is to my liking.

Decreasing the height is NOT an option. I have a good reason for making it as high (height variation for tower and main part) and low (for the death pit feeling), so yeah.

Thanks for the heads-up everyone, I'll see what I can do. More towers probably. The indoors areas do look better tho.

I also selected some pretty awesome music for it, simply feels right to honor my inspiration, heh. ;)

Last edited:
Decreasing the height is NOT an option. I have a good reason for making it as high (height variation for tower and main part) and low (for the death pit feeling), so yeah.

Thanks for the heads-up everyone, I'll see what I can do. More towers probably. The indoors areas do look better tho.

I also selected some pretty awesome music for it, simply feels right to honor my inspiration, heh. ;)

That's all well and good, but isn't there a rule against custom music (And other non-map or header lumps) for the multiplayer maps?

Just saw it now - well, custom music will be in the non-OLDC-gold version if I get around to that. Nice catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back