SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing > Utilities

SRB2 Doom Builder 2.0 Details »»
SRB2 Doom Builder 2.0
Developer Last Online: May 2014

Version: Unknown Rating: (2 votes - 2.40 average)
Released: 09-22-2011 Last Update: Never Installs: 0

Yup.

MAP EDITOR WITH SRB2(CB) & 3D SLOPE EDITING SUPPORT and MORE:

This is a mod of Code Imp's Doom Builder 2 project
(For more information, see: http://www.doombuilder.com/ )

-------

Doom Builder 2 has now been modded with extended support for SRB2+(CB).
The major advantage of this new editor is its stability and support for better real time 3D editing (including Slopes!)

Changes from original Doom Builder 2:
  • You can change the Z height of objects
  • SRB2's FOFs can be edited in 3D mode WITH TRANSPARENCY IN 3D
  • Higher distance limit for the 3D editor(since many SRB2 maps can be quite large)
  • Support for SRB2CB's slopes (including new "Copy Slope by Linedef" effect)

A configuration file for SRB2CB has been included with this release, it should work with both default SRB2 and SRB2CB.

There's a ton of new features that come with the editor itself:

• Organized lists of textures (So that when adding multiple textures, you can sort through them by file, also support for SRB2CB's TX_START is built right in!)
  • You don't have to finish drawing redundant lines when making sectors that share lines from other sectors - Just press enter when the lines you're drawing can make up a full sector(more description later)
  • Better support for external resources
  • Sort by sector darkness
  • Much more!

----

Some features that SRB2 Doom Builder 1 had may be missing from this release, but for most purposes, this is a stable, usable release.

-----

Download & Setup:

1)
Download the required dependency files for this to run (NOTE: This is only required if you've never installed Doom Builder 2 before):
http://www.mediafire.com/?w1yjq1jo311h3o8

Extract and install both exes inside the zip

---

2)

Download the actual map editor:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9jco5nj3tni38n0

Extract the map editor to a folder and it should run anywhere you want to keep it.

-----

3) Setup the game configuration for SRB2CB

Add the resource files

Go to Tools->Game Configurations

A window will pop up

Select SRB2CB from the list on the left

Click on Add Resource - A window will pop up

Under From Wad File, select the folder icon and find your SRB2 folder

add srb2.srb to the list

NOTE: You can add any other file you want to load with every map (like SRB2CB.dta for example)

Enable the FOFs and Slopes

To enable 3D mode, under the same window you added SRB2's resources, select the "Modes" tab

Make sure "GZDoom Visual Mode" is ENABLED (it's near the top of the list) and "Visual Mode" is DISABLED (it's at the bottom of the list)

------

Other Stuff:

Source Code (Not required to run the program)
http://www.mediafire.com/?bfx5nfx14adx132

Suggestions are welcome

-------

MORE TIPS:
  • When you select multiple sectors in the 3D map editor, you can actually edit the height of multiple sectors at the same time!

So you can, for example, select multiple sectors that make up some stairs, and make them all of the selected sectors scroll up and down in the right proportion. This can seriously save a lot of time when making a map!
  • There's an undo/redo panel on the right side of the map editor, mouse over to get a detailed list of everything you changed in a map - all the way back to when the file was last opened!
  • You can copy-paste parts of other maps into each other just like before - And it even supports copy-pasting between different map formats (could be handy if something like UDMF comes around
  • Hold shift when drawing a line or move something to unsnap from the grid
  • You can customize the grid size and zoom level in the lower right hand corner of the map editor

You actually can do rotations and flipping like the old SRB2DB1, but this is actually MORE powerful:
  1. Select any object or group of objects - a sector, a linedef, or a group of map objects, or any combination.
  2. Press E - A box will appear around your selection allowing you to move or transform anything selected.
  3. A new panel will appear on the right of the map editor window called "Edit Selection" - mouse over this panel to show options to rotate, and scale the selection - You have an option for both horizontal and vertical scaling as well now!

More pictures should be added to this topic or a wiki page should be made to make these descriptions clearer

-----

Happy Modding!

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 03-30-2012   #62
Sparkz
Advanced FOFing Concepts

A new problem developed in my builder, out of nowhere. In 3D mode the camera's jumping back and forth. I try to move and I'm suddenly somewhere off my map. It's nearly impossible to find my way back most of the time because everything's so dark. Why is it so dark? Anyway, the whole camera thing makes it difficult to zero in on details and make fine adjustments. Sometimes this rattling is just too much and I have to take a break:p Any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2012   #63
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Tried going into SRB2DB2's Preferences and changing the 3D Mode speed?

Not sure what you should do about the camera rattling though.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #64
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher

It's dark because the viewing distance is limited. You can expand it under Preferences, but larger viewing distances can make 3D mode lag quite a bit.
MascaraSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #65
Shadow Hog
Administrator

What do you mean by "rattling"?

I mean, there is a known bug with DB2 (in general)'s 3D Mode where, if the computer has not had a proper shutdown in a long time (we're talking weeks here - and no, hibernation mode doesn't count as a proper shutdown), moving around in 3D Mode gets incredibly jerky (specifically moving, though, not looking - that's fine). If you're encountering this, the only way to fix it is to restart your computer. (I'd rather CodeImp fix this outright, but...)
Shadow Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #66
Sparkz
Advanced FOFing Concepts

HA! OK, maybe my computer hasn't had it's nap in a while and I guess it's just cranky. The jerking is indeed what I'm referring to. With a further field of view however, I'm not getting lost in the darkness anymore. Thanks, Crusher.
Old 04-29-2012   #67
Sparkz
Advanced FOFing Concepts

Sorry for the double post. I'm happy to report that everything I've been whining about has been alleviated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaron View Post
More pictures should be added to this topic or a wiki page should be made to make these descriptions clearer
I couldn't agree more! I'm actually considering writing the Wiki for sloped FOFs, cause I totally have 'em licked.

Anyway, I'm more than pleased with how all this came out. The 3D interface is mind boggling. Here's a screenshot of GGZI.

Here we can see 3D mode living up to all it's potential; Slopes, FOFs, sloped FOFs, transparent FOFs, thing sprites and Z height on things.

This really breaths new life into map building. Kudos Kalaron!!!

Last edited by Sparkz; 04-29-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #68
VectorC
A.K.A.: Punch the Crocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaron View Post
[*]SRB2's FOFs can be edited in 3D mode WITH TRANSPARENCY IN 3D
Does it mean that I am suposed to see the platforms made by FoF(Result) or that it only shows defined lines as Transparent?(Triangles outside map) It's been bugging me. I used to not see the result of FoF in 3D view and on this version of SRB2CB1.1 I still can't see it. So, is it just me that misunderstood that update or is there really a problem?

Beside this MINOR problem of mine, it works just fine to me.

Spoiler: Somewhat off topic...
I have an idea of map that I'd like to do with FoF based for almost all characters. (Figure out that it's an "How to play SRB2 with basic character" map if you prefer...)

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
You need:

• Version of SRB2: SRB2 Community Build
  • Map editor: SRB2 Doom Builder 2, which can be downloaded in the first post of this thread
  • Config: "SRB2CBDb2.cfg"
Here is another question then. Where can I get this mysterious "SRB2CBDb2.cfg" that you are talking about? All what I have is the "SRB2 Community build 1.1" config... (I'd like to make SRB2 maps and not SRB2CB ones)

One time, I made a uber long sentence...

"Pass me the salt!!!"

Last edited by VectorC; 07-17-2012 at 12:16 PM.
VectorC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #69
The means
شادو المقوى

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
Sorry for the double post. I'm happy to report that everything I've been whining about has been alleviated!

I couldn't agree more! I'm actually considering writing the Wiki for sloped FOFs, cause I totally have 'em licked.

Anyway, I'm more than pleased with how all this came out. The 3D interface is mind boggling. Here's a screenshot of GGZI.

Here we can see 3D mode living up to all it's potential; Slopes, FOFs, sloped FOFs, transparent FOFs, thing sprites and Z height on things.

This really breaths new life into map building. Kudos Kalaron!!!
I remember thise map it's from Sonic 3D blast

Now i'm making a new map and i'll advertise it soon

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Do we can Use The Program for SRB v2.0.6 ?
Old 09-19-2012   #70
Sparkz
Advanced FOFing Concepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The means View Post
I remember thise map it's from Sonic 3D blast
That's exactly right, Means. I'm building a full game mod, porting 3D Blast and adapting it for SRB2 Community Build (PNG Edition) Check out the thread and give it a shoot!

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=36833
Old 10-26-2012   #71
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

Sorry for the bump, but I've tried this thousands of times on different computers, but it never works. But regular Doom Builder 2 does work. What am I doing wrong? I'd love to see my slopes in 3D mode.
Old 10-26-2012   #72
Katmint

What's the error message? "Doesn't work" isn't specific enough to get any useful answer.
Katmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012   #73
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

The usual '[Application Name Here] has stopped working.' I checked details on it and it says that these files might describe the problem.

C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB06A.tmp.versi on.txt
C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBD08.tmp.mdmp

Do these mean anything?

EDIT: It might help to mention I'm using Vista.
Old 10-26-2012   #74
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

I just tried it, and the same thing happened.
Old 11-15-2012   #75
Lippa
BONES creator

Yeah, I have the same error as Sonic100000, the dependent files also wouldn't run so I just grabbed the latest versions from the original sources.
Lippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013   #76
MrDonoB

Default Sorry For Bumping But..

I am sorry for the bump, But i am having a problem with the builder,

Everything works fine except that whenever I change a texture, It goes missing, From SRB2 or not. It shows up right in the builder, But not in game.
MrDonoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #77
MrDonoB

Default Nevermind

Nevermind I fixed it.
MrDonoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013   #78
Metal96
spaghetti coder

Basically all I have to say about this is that I cannot get this to install no matter what I do. It keeps giving this error.

And, although it has been said so many times, I still tried to run the builder without it and it crashed immediately :-P
Metal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013   #79
Snow
Having a moment

i have incountered a problem when i load the builder...when i open the game configurations
on tools srb2cb does not come up! can someone please help me?!
<SnowTH> I'm so proud
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013   #80
Metal96
spaghetti coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
i have incountered a problem when i load the builder...when i open the game configurations
on tools srb2cb does not come up! can someone please help me?!
Can you give more details, perhaps a screenshot? We can't help when we don't know what's really wrong.

Oh hey look, I can use this bump to my advantage So anyway, my SRB2DB2 keeps getting itself stuck in 3d mode. I can't use any of the shortcuts to exit to another mode (or do much of anything in general). I also can't close normally or use the toolbar, as clicking anything on the interface just hides the cursor and reenables 3D mode control. It also bugs out when I try to end the task in Task Manager (which is just a glorified close button anyway), forcing me to terminate the process and reload it. It seems to happen after I edit a linedef in 3D mode, but not editing linedefs is kinda not an option as that's the best way to texture well as far as I know. Any ideas?

Also, I should add that ZenNode is botched. Completely. It just returns an error whenever I try to save with it. HOWEVER, ZDBSP seems to be a great alternative, as it's ridiculously fast (huge map with reject = 5 mins on ZenNode, 5 secs with ZDBSP (?!?)) and far more accurate (I used to get huge HOMS, random holes in the geometry that one could see the sky and a bunch of glitched out textures through, and flat spilling all over with ZenNode, but none of this with ZDBSP!).

Speaking of botched nodesbuilds, for some odd reason, if a nodebuild fails on save/test, and then one goes and switches the nodesbuilder, it seems to build fine, but when SRB2 loads it glitches out intensely (with random distorted textures and flats (sometimes flickering) strewn about the screen) and eventually sigsegv's if the view changes too much from the starting position (i.e. movement or turning). Just something to consider.

Like this but it typically has more glitchy "stuff" in the scene. It changes every time.

EDIT: To add some perspective, this is what that spot is supposed to look like:

Yeah.

Last edited by Metal96; 08-26-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Metal96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013   #81
Steel Titanium

All of these problems must be related to your PC, Metal96. I don't have any problems using 3D Mode on SRB2DB2 and ZenNode saves my maps completely fine with out errors. But I do remember ZenNode not saving maps on my old PC with SRB2DB1. I guess a conflict was causing ZenNode to fail building and saving the map, or the antivirus software it had was blocking ZenNode from building and saving the map for some reason.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote