SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 06-19-2015   #4841
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh, I've got a dumb suggestion:
Make the lava pits in RVZ less deep.
I can't tell how frustrating it is to "glitch" through a lava fall, and have to lose your Rings 5 more times to reach a spring. And even if your survive this, you still get hurt while being sent upward.

Still RVZ related, this level is not co-op friendly, there should be an alternate way (And not the one from the begining.) to this falling platform bridge other than waiting them to respawn when Xxx_H0$t_F4$t_Cuz_n0_L4g_xxX goes through the bridge before everyone else.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #4842
YevaEA
Christmas is no longer here

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
Oh, I've got a dumb suggestion:
Make the lava pits in RVZ less deep.
I can't tell how frustrating it is to "glitch" through a lava fall, and have to lose your Rings 5 more times to reach a spring. And even if your survive this, you still get hurt while being sent upward.

Still RVZ related, this level is not co-op friendly, there should be an alternate way (And not the one from the begining.) to this falling platform bridge other than waiting them to respawn when Xxx_H0$t_F4$t_Cuz_n0_L4g_xxX goes through the bridge before everyone else.

But seriously, why not make the lava falls solid then? I kind of agree with this, but only because I've been there too and it does suck if you end up down there. Heck, maybe make it only possible to go to the floor of lava pits through specific "whirlpools" and have extra geometry, goodies, shortcuts, etc down there? Otherwise it feels unnecessarily large for a place you're not supposed to visit, and even more unforgiving for people who don't know that there isn't anything worth gaining if they explore.

Last edited by YevaEA; 06-20-2015 at 03:46 AM.
YevaEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #4843
Sky The Destroyer

It would be nice to have a video flags argument in the v.drawFill HUD function.
Sky The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #4844
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

...apparently it already does, it just uses the lowest 8 bits (0 to 255) as the palette color number to use. The higher bits are used for the video flags, and they won't clash at all.

EDIT: the only flags that will have any effect at all with it though are the V_SNAPTORIGHT/LEFT/TOP/BOTTOM flags, it seems like

Last edited by Monster Iestyn; 06-20-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015   #4845
Sky The Destroyer

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of having video flags such as translucency (V_TRANSLUCENT and the like) with v.drawFill.
Sky The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015   #4846
frozenLake

Here is an idea: Allow for Lua scripts to access files for configuration/saving data.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015   #4847
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

This might be a little redundant, but it would be nice if P_DamageMobj($1 [instance of MT_PLAYER only], $2, $3, 0) performs everything related to damaging the player except actually spilling their rings or removing/damaging their shield.

Other values of damage result in special cases for players (instant kill and spectator kill specifically), so this would be useful for performing stun attacks and the like.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm

Last edited by toaster; 07-03-2015 at 03:31 PM.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015   #4848
OtherChen
Hibernates every few months

Player 2's controls should be Lua accessible if player 2 isn't in a game, using player.cmd2. It'd be useful for remote-controlling objects or other players online, or just to have a few extra buttons for custom moves.
Old 07-12-2015   #4849
Theqmayn
Permanently Banned

1 up music being a sound effect instead of a tune, like most games in the series would be good.
Theqmayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #4850
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

Splatoon-style team colour picking for team-based game modes. The team colour of one team is randomly selected, and then the other team has an "opposite colour" picked automatically. (red i know how much you love splatoon convince everyone else this is a valid use of your time)

Changing skin colours on a per-round basis is probably the easy part- the hard part is shimming the textures and colormaps over so that stuff like Radiant Caverns doesn't end up looking inappropriate for the teams battling it out. It would be weird for random chance to happen such that a red team member needed to run towards the red-textured-base to capture the blue flag.
Old 07-12-2015   #4851
Larztard
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Splatoon-style team colour picking for team-based game modes. The team colour of one team is randomly selected, and then the other team has an "opposite colour" picked automatically. (red i know how much you love splatoon convince everyone else this is a valid use of your time)

Changing skin colours on a per-round basis is probably the easy part- the hard part is shimming the textures and colormaps over so that stuff like Radiant Caverns doesn't end up looking inappropriate for the teams battling it out. It would be weird for random chance to happen such that a red team member needed to run towards the red-textured-base to capture the blue flag.
And don't forget the team rings colored respectively to represent the team and indicating they can only pick up that ring.
Old 07-12-2015   #4852
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

To be fair, the team ring sprites in rings.dta are already green and can take on any colour change you desire, so that would probably be one of the easiest changes to make towards this happening.
Old 07-14-2015   #4853
Larztard
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
To be fair, the team ring sprites in rings.dta are already green and can take on any colour change you desire, so that would probably be one of the easiest changes to make towards this happening.
I thought there were blue rings and red rings sprites in the .srb file. It's been a while since I went through it...
Old 07-14-2015   #4854
StarmakerJasper
Hey, that's my pudding!

I guess it's somewhat of a minor issue, but the colors right now are a direct reference to the rivalry between Sonic and Knuckles; everything related to it (banners, their faces on the flags themselves) would have to be edited out so you don't get the odd scenario of 'Red Sonics vs Blue Knuckles'
StarmakerJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015   #4855
OtherChen
Hibernates every few months

Rings can have any color, but ring boxes have red and blue sprites. Making a new color-changing ring box object shouldn't be too hard.
That said, it might be easier overall to only change the team colors in TDM, and keep the Red vs. Blue theme for CTF.

Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB2 Wiki
Most skin colors currently do not have an "opposite" skin color set.
Literally unplayable
Old 07-14-2015   #4856
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

I was operating under the assumption that this would be a seperate list, primarily because red's opposite in the current list is green (for the sake of Knuckles' end sign) and not blue (for the sake of some continuity with current CTF).
Old 07-14-2015   #4857
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

This is all kinda a moot point anyways because it's not a good idea. There's a reason red versus blue is the industry standard: they're very distinct, bright, and uncommonly used in the background of most stages. Since the level designer knows what colors are going to be involved, the issue of camouflage is quite controlled. If the colors were randomized, it leads to one team getting a major advantage depending on the theme of the stage. The easiest example would be a team getting orange in an ACZ-themed stage.

The reason Splatoon CAN randomize the team colors is because of the way the game itself is visually designed. Notice how Splatoon's levels all use dull colors for the background so that it's easy to distinguish ink from normal floor, and also notice how the characters themselves and their clothing options naturally contrast with all of the ink color possibilities. This is a very intentional design choice to make sure that no matter what colors the game ends up using, all the important gameplay information is visually distinct and easy to see.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015   #4858
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Suggestion: The game should automatically save all of your logs so that way people who like to save them don't have to do it manually. You could just have an option for automatically saving logs in-game so that way the people who don't want the clutter can just turn it off.
MetalKnux101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #4859
Larztard
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalKnux101 View Post
Suggestion: The game should automatically save all of your logs so that way people who like to save them don't have to do it manually.
I have a better way to do that. After an awesome play sesh of SRB2, take the log, rename the log to something else so that SRB2 doesn't overwrite the log next time you play (Ex. My Dank Netgame).
Old 07-16-2015   #4860
MetalKnux101
Iron Claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larztard View Post
I have a better way to do that. After an awesome play sesh of SRB2, take the log, rename the log to something else so that SRB2 doesn't overwrite the log next time you play (Ex. My Dank Netgame).
Well obviously that's an alternative. My point was to add the automatic logging system so that way the people who want to save their logs wouldn't have to do it manually everytime they restart the game.
MetalKnux101 is offline   Reply With Quote