• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Castle de Space 2.0, in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceKGreen

Neon Knight
Remember me?

So recently, in a combination of boredom and a need for random inspiration, I went back to an old map I made but had never truly finished.

Castle de Space.

The first map I made that wasn't a minor experiment with random builder features. The only thing I've released that wasn't a crappy soc (in my defense, none of them were timer socs, and Engineer Tails was actually rather awesome).

</ramble>

I had started on some minor cosmetic operations and had opened a space in the dungeon for cells (according to the map's backstory, converted to extra rooms) when I realized something. I wanted more. Much more. My visions were much grander than what that old map could handle.

So I restarted.

The new castle has a lot more room now, and much fancier looking rooms. There's also a new front courtyard, and a field atop a cliff outside the gates. (And no more horribly awkward ceiling/floor height problems!)

First, here's some screenshots of version 0.9, for comparison.

Now for screenshots of the current version. (forgot to remove the HUD, whoops)

srb20015.png

The throne room! Complete with the face of yours truly in the carpet. :D

srb20016.png

The front courtyard, featuring the Crystile Tree. Will be decorated after the main castle structure is finished.

srb20017.png

A dining room. Chairs have been much improved, and more variation in the flags. This half of the castle still needs Things.

srb20018.png

The upper walkway, with one example of the many planters/fountains in the main castle area.

srb20019.png

The vastly improved inner courtyard, with a fountain rescued from the old map. Flora will be added.

srb20020.png

One of the bedrooms. The window works correctly now :D And there's a cabinet off to the right.

srb20021.png

A shot of the new dungeon, which hasn't been worked on that much yet.

srb20022.png

A dangerous room currently blocked off by the people refurbishing the castle, complete with spikes, hanging chains, and the unexplained room filled with goo.

srb20023.png

I decided that I wouldn't go with the cells, so I decided instead to carve out the rock and create an underground heated pool! (Water yet to be added)

srb20024.png

Back to the main castle, here's a couch and table in front of a large roaring fire, and a bizarre spring.

Not all things are going fine though... I noticed I could see thok barriers through the skylights, and although it actually worked well at first glance...
srb20025.png

...on closer inspection, there are problems.
srb20026.png

I think a FOF that reaches up above the ceiling in the right place will fix this problem, though.

To-do list:

-At the moment of this post, I'm adding thok barriers to the main castle.

-Main castle Thing placement

-Front courtyard/field outside gates: Sector work (patches of rough grass, hedges, paths), thing placement

-Dungeon: Finish pool area, maintenance area, dangerous room, etc.

-Create Sky area (accessed through a secret)

Planned features:

-Secrets! So many ways of getting from one room to another...

-Eggman flags will be replaced with a more "Space-y" design. Possible replacement of a Special Stage texture, used on the tree.

-Lots of room to run, and some good places to hide.

-Planters all over the place.

-Anti-roleplay: random large areas not otherwise used will be marked as Exit Sectors.

Finished WAD will use map slot 43, and music slots 43 and 44; optional version will have the match rotation modified to include this map.

One last note... When I actually release the beta of this wad, I'm going to need some people to playtest this map for me... My brother isn't interested in SRB2 anymore, so there might be some problems on this map when it comes to large amounts of people that I can't find by myself. My home connection can't support online games, and the connection at college has horrible speed for most of the day.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions all highly welcome.

The screenshots look very good. I would like to be a beta tester. Those tok barrier problems are fine, no one will care. There seems to be a lot of detail in most areas of this map, especially to inner courtyard with the fountain. This is going to look great.

I suggest that after you finish this as a match map, you try this same idea in a singleplayer level.

Though I'm a little iffy about the large size, with a small amount of players, it could be a problem.

I remember being able to go around the [spoiler:49c47b5ad9]trap teleport in the secret[/spoiler:49c47b5ad9] Will it still be possible in this version?

I would gladly help you test this, it looks really awesome.
Yeah, you might want to consider the anti-roleplay thing. In fact, this is a match map, right? Then place a player 1 start off to the side of the map in the middle of nowhere so it starts off in an Exit Sector in Co-Op.

So, I've got some new screens. The main castle area is 95% done. (the last 5% is that the fountain courtyard needed some more flora, which I just did, and the whole "connect it to the other areas part") I'm working on the dungeon now, and the pool's heating system. Until then, I have some new/updated screenshots for you!

srb20027.png

A new shot of the grand courtyard and its new decoration. The Crystile Tree has been made a little taller. And as for the symbol, name the inspiration!

srb20028.png

Further detail of the grand courtyard, this time nearer the tree and the new podium.

srb20029.png

The grand hall. Planters have been added, and the rug rearranged.

srb20030.png

The upper hallway, again with new flora.

srb20031.png

The inner courtyard, with flora. (More flora has been added since this shot.)

And finally, way back in the other direction, the cliff outside the main gates has been decorated.
srb20032.png

...Should I release a beta? Said beta would only contain the main castle, and lacks a proper header... (I'm not sure if the ring placement's all that good, and like I said, I can't playtest this online)

Release one! It would be awesome. =D
The level header doesn't really matter, as long as I know the map number. XD
Hope this turns out well.

No, don't release a beta. Release the final product into the Official Level Design Contest. Send the beta to other people like Ezer.Arch via PM. Ezer.Arch is trustworthy and a very competent multiplayer level designer.

:SonicMaster: said:
No, don't release a beta. Release the final product into the Official Level Design Contest. Send the beta to other people like Ezer.Arch via PM. Ezer.Arch is trustworthy and a very competent multiplayer level designer.

Hmm... I dunno. I don't have much time to work on it, and I have no idea when the submissions for the current contest end. Plus I was planning for the final version to contain custom content.

But then again, I could release the "custom content" version after the contest is over...

Still Screams, And if you just put them as Exits, Wouldn't that Effect The Map If you wanted it to be race? I'd Rather Suggest a Certain Script.

I don't see this map attracting noobs. It's highly explorable, but it doesn't feel like a roleplay map. By your logic, Thunder Citadel, Castle Canyon, and Courtyard Clash would also be roleplay maps, which is not true.

And hyperson, it wasn't meant for race. Just match and tag. There is NO way to race in here properly.

So after a long while of being unable to work on the map due to the inverter board on my laptop burning out, leaving it unusable since I couldn't see the screen, I have successfully replaced it, with the help of some of my family members. Now I can finally get back to work on it... after I catch up on college work.

I'll do my best, but there's a possibility that I might not be able to finish this before the contest ends. I hope I can finish it in time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back