Project Natal

Status
Not open for further replies.
AshuraXDemon said:
Bigboi said:
AshuraXDemon said:
Remember Wii Sports? I think I'll get the same reaction at the end.

That reaction being lots and lots of money.
Yeah but it'll get boring after a week. Sony's Eyetoy did the same too.

That's because Eyetoy was boring as hell, the games sucked, they've already dished out the SDK to much better developers than the EyeToy ones.

Cue said:
AshuraXDemon said:
Bigboi said:
AshuraXDemon said:
Remember Wii Sports? I think I'll get the same reaction at the end.

That reaction being lots and lots of money.
Yeah but it'll get boring after a week. Sony's Eyetoy did the same too.

That's because Eyetoy was boring as hell, the games sucked, they've already dished out the SDK to much better developers than the EyeToy ones.

I don't know about you but I kinda like Sega Superstars and DDR...

Sega Superstars was a game that could've been good but was plauged by the fact it was simply on the Eyetoy(horrible reconigtion of my body, which is skinny by the fact).

[offtopic]I really hate no spellcheck for Opera.[/offtopic]

I'd get pretty tired talking to some kid after 5 mins. I imaging it would be repetitive. This has already been done with the Sega Activator. It was a fail the first time so I don't think trying something like this would be successful. The thing is that it'd probably get boring & repetitive. Sure it's innovative technology & all but think long term. Controllers have already become convoluted as time progressed, drifting away from simplicity as games have, so why make things more complicated without one?

I don't think that it's done properly. If you pay attention to the video of the lady interacting with Milo, you'll see that the lady was touching one end of the water and the game registered it at the opposite side. If you google that this thing is fake, you'll find this one article that's been circulating to a bunch of sites and will give a synopsys on which areas where improperly coordinated/scripted/whathaveyou. Also, the lady didn't draw **** and it was "scanned" & "recognized" by Milo. Basically he got a fish out of a blank piece of paper. What does that tell you? Some say that this was scripted. The only portion that I'm paying attention to is proper recognition first before becoming synonymous with games aside from boring interaction with a kid that gets repetitive. If this thing pulls through then I bet a slew of crappy interactive games will come out while I'd take real life any day. It'd be weird communicating and paying more attention to a screen than my own friends & family.

But I digress. Until then, I will remain skeptical about this.

I don't realy care if it works or not, microsoft gets the money to make things all better, But hey the one thing I never seen the eyetoy did, is make a fighting game where your actually facing forward insted of sideway's (virtual fighter on the eyetoy I think).
If you seen the trailer for Natal you can fight forward like, I just wonder if its going to work like I hope the fighting style would.

arnold_the_bartender said:
I'd get pretty tired talking to some kid after 5 mins. I imaging it would be repetitive. This has already been done with the Sega Activator. It was a fail the first time so I don't think trying something like this would be successful. The thing is that it'd probably get boring & repetitive. Sure it's innovative technology & all but think long term. Controllers have already become convoluted as time progressed, drifting away from simplicity as games have, so why make things more complicated without one?

I don't think that it's done properly. If you pay attention to the video of the lady interacting with Milo, you'll see that the lady was touching one end of the water and the game registered it at the opposite side. If you google that this thing is fake, you'll find this one article that's been circulating to a bunch of sites and will give a synopsys on which areas where improperly coordinated/scripted/whathaveyou. Also, the lady didn't draw **** and it was "scanned" & "recognized" by Milo. Basically he got a fish out of a blank piece of paper. What does that tell you? Some say that this was scripted. The only portion that I'm paying attention to is proper recognition first before becoming synonymous with games aside from boring interaction with a kid that gets repetitive. If this thing pulls through then I bet a slew of crappy interactive games will come out while I'd take real life any day. It'd be weird communicating and paying more attention to a screen than my own friends & family.

But I digress. Until then, I will remain skeptical about this.

Milo was also on the show floor for all to see and use, and it only took some guy from OXM 60 seconds to go through the calibration to be recognised by Milo.

Oh snap, Kevin Butler is trolling Natal
e6c9ao.jpg

I might be negative, but recent gameplay shows its still laggy and tiring to play.

Looks more tedious and repetitive than half of the Wii games out there motion control wise.

And that's the console itself.

There's a reason why Nintendo and Sony decided to use a controller for motion control.

Hey, 360 fans. I hope you like Justin Beiber
500x_bieber.jpg

Attention, Xbox 360 fans with an incurable case of Bieber Fever! The Tiger Beat coverboy and teenage pop star is buddying up with his friends at Microsoft to bring you hands-on time with Project Natal this fall. Xbox 360 is underwriting the Bieb's "My World" tour this fall, which will be schlepping Project Natal playable kiosks across the United States and Canada, giving you a chance to fawn over Justin and (maybe) play Joy Ride with your hands and feet.
Here's the official enthusiasm.
"We're thrilled to partner with such a talented star," said Grover Holtzclaw, Xbox director of platform and partner marketing and vice president of having an amazing name. "Justin Bieber's known for his ability to entertain fans, and now with "Project Natal" for Xbox 360, fans can enjoy an extraordinary entertainment experience on the Bieber concert stage and in their own homes this holiday season."
As an experiment in testing Natal's pre-teen squealing frequency detection, it's a sound plan!
New Dates Added to "My World" Tour Presented by Xbox 360 [Justin Beiber's Official Site - thanks, Robert!]
http://kotaku.com/5555950/get-your-project-natal-justin-bieber-fixes-simultaneously

So, who do you think will benefit more from this? Considering Bieber's audience is mainly young girls, I'd say he's more likely to benefit from the extra attention from an older audience.

I'm going to laugh if I see adults booing him.
Edit:

Oh, a source says Natal will be 150 dollars. Move will be 60-80 dollars (Standalone/Bundle with Eye+Game)
Now, you might say Natal is overpriced. But it can display 2 people on screen.
But really, it still is a lot messier then Move. I hope this source is wrong...
According to Edge, the price tag for the upcoming motion control camera device will be 149 U.S. dollars. So, lets just stop fooling ourselves and admit that we are paying 150 dollars for this thing, which is only 50 dollars less than you could get an Xbox 360 arcade for. Supposedly, Microsoft will also be selling a motion control bundle which will include an Xbox 360 arcade and Natal together. This bundle will go for 300 dollars making the Natal unit only cost 100 if you consider the console to be sold at full price. This is an improvement but 100 dollars still manages to be more than we would really like to pay, not to mention this totally screws people who already have the system … you know the key market for a device that updates the control interface of a system? It sure isn’t helping that one of the only things we can do with Natal is bounce around a big red ball, and 150 dollars simply isn’t worth it at this point. Perhaps that will change at E3, or perhaps this is going to be another huge financial blunder considering the PlayStation Move will supposedly cost less.

Last edited:
I'm going to laugh if I see adults booing him.
Edit:

Oh, a source says Natal will be 150 dollars. Move will be 60-80 dollars (Standalone/Bundle with Eye+Game)
Now, you might say Natal is overpriced. But it can display 2 people on screen.
But really, it still is a lot messier then Move. I hope this source is wrong...

You didn't think Move would be cheap? It's a couple of sticks with lights on and a 2D camera, compare that to a camera that can track in three dimensions. If anything, Move is too expensive. =P

My school were quite fond of Natal, from what I recall, the head of ICT wanted to install a 360 in the new interactive build (they already have interactive projectors and stuff in there). Should be interesting, I might grab one at some point just to use for controlling my entertainment PC, because, you know, I don't play motion games much and my 360 is staying where it belongs (my room).

Move uses technology that moviemakers use.

Meaning, it has superior tech to the Wiimote. It also comes with a game and PlayStation Eye. STILL less then Natal.

It wasn't a commercial.

I'll find the source. I'll have to ask some users on a different forum(They all know this too) for the source.
As for the nuts and bolts of the wand itself, SCEE's David Coombes sets out his stall.

"The controller itself has a bunch of inertial sensors built into it which can be used to detect motion. There's an accelerometer, a gyroscope and a magnetometer in there. Those can be used to determine position and orientation," he says. "However, inertia sensors have some inherent limitations. They tend to suffer from drift and inaccuracy, there's a lot of noise in the data.

"Some of that is because these are simple integrated circuits. These aren't the sensors you'll get in an aeroplane for instance. What we did was add a glowing sphere that the [PlayStation Eye] camera can track, similar to the tech used in motion capture labs."

The combination of internal sensors - talking to the PS3 via a Bluetooth connection - and the PSEye tracking the glowing, bulbous tip of the Move adds to the flexibility and accuracy of the controller.

"The really cool thing about having the illuminated ball is that it works in all kinds of lighting conditions," Coombes continues. "It can work in darkness because it is self-illuminating. You change the colour of the ball and when you have four players, each one can have a differently coloured controller.

"The controllers can change colour too. So they can turn red as you move into a dangerous area, for example, or it can flash when you fire a gun. So as well as the tracking there are some interesting game design options you can use within the controller."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-move-article

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back