SRB2's picking up news coverage... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have much to add to the argument, but I do like the idea of bringing back the old manual.

Not to un-derail the topic but does anyone know of a let's play/playthrough by someone who is actually good at the game? Alot of what ive seen is blind/first impressions type videos which i dont think do the game credit.

But isn't this game suppose to be a classic styled fan game?
Well, it's 3D, doesn't have Super Knuckles in the vanilla campaign, and will fundamentally be an FPS/platformer hybrid no matter how hard anyone tries to squeeze it into a pure platformer. Only a fundamental rewrite of the entire engine would change that. And the classics wasted two buttons on a three button controller. Unless you used Debug Mode.

The main problem is that our third person camera doesn't actually have the center of the screen be where you're firing. You'd have to actually do math to figure out where the shots are being aimed at and make a Star Fox style multiple crosshair, and that's a lot of work for a minor feature, so it's not on the to-do list.
Not to mention that making it work for looking all the way up and down would be impractical at best. It's honestly better that people just learn to use first person. (The only way that the software renderer will ever compete with OpenGL is either for it to support full vertical aiming, or for OGL to become completely unusable. Well, for me, anyway. :P) inb4stuffIalreadyknowabouttheOGLrendererbeinghardertocodefor

I do think that a tutorial is distasteful as I personally hate that type of thing, but I think we've gotten enough data to realize that being subtle and gentle about it isn't working. We expect players to understand things that they aren't understanding, and this is making players feel our game controls are "slippery" and "tank-like" when that couldn't be farther from the truth. There are a bunch of things on the list of stuff to test to try to mitigate that, but I think there's really no way around the fact that if we want players to understand certain things that we can't teach by example, we're going to have to tell them.
The classic example of a game that teaches through "play, don't show, especially don't tell" is Super Mario Bros. 1-1. And even it isn't perfect, as it does nothing to teach you about the sprint button that also shoots fireballs. You can learn that through experimentation, because there are only three buttons left, and one of them pauses the game. Now expand that to a keyboard and potentially a mouse too. The sad fact is that teaching through doing is basically impossible for all but the simplest concepts, unless the player already knows the controls. And there are only two practical ways that will happen. And one of them (a full-fledged manual, which we already have in the form of the wiki) will be ignored by the players who needed it in the first place.

So, tutorial it up.

While we haven't tried it yet, one of the things we've been planning to try out is making the character sprite face the control direction instead of the facing direction for all non-FPS modes. This would help players grasp what strafe is doing better while also using all of those sprites in normal operation.
As long as it can be disabled, I'm all for this. (Not that I ever use third person outside of 2D segments for anything other than peeking around corners in Tag or spectating others, but I'm sure a lot of people do)

As an aside, I'm probably the only person who actually uses the arrow keys as if they were WASD. Hey, it fit my ancient desk setup from about a decade back. And I'm too set in my ways to really change, unless there are suddenly a bunch more Lua custom buttons I need to fit into what the rest of my left hand can reach.

Last edited:
I would have thought you'd learn the gimmicks in each zone by simply playing them? Not like they all throw you into the deep end with their gimmicks straight away, unless it's Egg Rock of course. You usually get some chance to learn how they work for the most part, last I remember.

...On the other hand, a forced "loading screen" would just invoke the Sonic Game That Must Not Be Named, don't go there please. =V

That Harry Potter reference is pure gold.

Anyways, how will the minecart work in 2.2? Does it include linedefs and a object? Or something else? :V

That Harry Potter reference is pure gold.

Anyways, how will the minecart work in 2.2? Does it include linedefs and a object? Or something else? :V

I would presume its an large object and uses slope physics to move around via momentum

It's weird how half of the wads in the "shitty" doom wad pack are actually good. It's like the person who send it too him just called the them "shitty" for being stupid.

To be fair the actually shitty doom wads are borderline unplayable messes of eyeburn, white noise, and crashes. I know one channel that showed some of these. Generally they are just as unpleasent to watch as they are to play.

That Minecart looks like a Voxel if you ask me, does that mean 2.2 will support voxels ?

...no it's not a voxel, wasn't that made clear in toaster's thread?

It's just a normal sprite with tweaks to the sprite drawing code to make it look "flat" when not viewed from the side.

...you do realise I was making a joke there, right? It was a minecart designed for ACZ, and the ERZ thing was just a test of scaling.

They're paper sprites, which objects can have. Like paper mario, except they don't have a flat collision box unless otherwise specified, and the game series they're in now hasn't ended up terribly.

Last edited:
Well yeah we were still discussing stuff brought up by that video so technically still on-topic .
EDIT : (Oh my god, we're going off-topic right meow) .

Since this thread has gone way off-topic, I guess I will post a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDiPFQN0dE4

This video was made by a popular modder named Thejojonetwork. That guy who mods Sonic World.

But, the attention is not really positive.

lmao I'm sorry but I don't see why he's bashing SRB2. It seems like it's a jab to the community side. Probably salt because he probably got banned here before or kicked from the IRC chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back