SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 11-15-2016   #1
keenmaster486
Official Garbage Disposal

Default Questions about ports; is this the right place?

Hi, I'm new so please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask these questions:

There's a video on YouTube of a guy who got a version of 2.1.8 compiled for Windows 9x from Alam. What I'm wondering is, how was this done, is there anything special needed to compile for 9x? The reason I'm interested in this is because I'm part of a community (VOGONS) that does a lot of retro PC building and it would be nice to have SRB2 working on my upcoming PIII build.

Also, I'm interested for no good reason in how to properly compile SRB2 for MS-DOS. I know Alam came up with some experimental binaries for DOS (I think they were called "srb2w16.exe") but those always return protection faults. I tried to compile for DOS using the instructions in the readme once but it took forever and I could never make it work right. My guess is the codebase is now so far removed from DOS that it wouldn't work anyway, but still.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-15-2016   #2
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)

There was an old DOS version that simply stopped getting maintained. I think last version with it was Demo 4?

Even if it were still maintained, I doubt it'd run later levels like ERZ very well :v
Old 11-15-2016   #3
AlamGBC
WOO! GO ME! YAHOO!
Administrator

Default DJGPP port

hahah, the DOS port had not been compiled for a long time

I could fixup the DOS port, but do I want to?

FUCK YEA!

3DS FC: 0473-7778-0919
AlamGBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016   #4
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

^This is why even though this community is half dead, it will never die out
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016   #5
AlamGBC
WOO! GO ME! YAHOO!
Administrator

http://alam.srb2.org/srb2.w9x/Dos/

This is SOOO UNTESTED, it may not even work!

3DS FC: 0473-7778-0919
AlamGBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016   #6
Xkower8181

So as a funny experiment I decided to run it on my DosBox 0.74 and then this error popped out
Old 11-15-2016   #7
keenmaster486
Official Garbage Disposal

Yep, exactly, the DOS builds always do that.

I've run them on real DOS machines, in emulation, in every different memory configuration situation you can imagine, with different DPMI hosts, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Once in a while it will get to the loading screen and start working but it always dumps back to the page fault screen.

But Alam, man, it's amazing that you even got it to compile. How did you do it? DJGPP & Allegro?

As a side note some Windows OpenGL builds will run in DOS using the HX extender lol
Old 11-15-2016   #8
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenmaster486 View Post
Yep, exactly, the DOS builds always do that.

I've run them on real DOS machines, in emulation, in every different memory configuration situation you can imagine, with different DPMI hosts, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Once in a while it will get to the loading screen and start working but it always dumps back to the page fault screen.

But Alam, man, it's amazing that you even got it to compile. How did you do it? DJGPP & Allegro?

As a side note some Windows OpenGL builds will run in DOS using the HX extender lol
I'm reminded of the Nintendo DS port, which was capable of almost completing the old GFZ3. It ran out of memory if you popped the capsule.

This sounds cruddy as hell, until you remember that the smart money was that it would never even be capable of reaching the titlescreen - along the way to being actually capable of loading an ultra-simplistic level, the milestone of finishing program initialization was hailed as a massive accomplishment.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote