Have you ever had a non-thokfest race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majro

Well, have you ever played a race like that? Well, I have and I enjoyed it a lot, but I want to hear you. What are your opinons? Do you think a race like that is/would be fun?

How to play a race without thokking:

1. Set your character to Knuckles.
2. Turn forceskin on.

Fortunately the main old problem (strafe-running) has been fixed, so this should be balanced now. Whether it's more interesting is up to debate.

I like using Knuckles all the time, even in race. He just offers better control, even if I have to give up a bit of speed. Naturally, I have no chance in thokfest maps. Well, at least I can finish ahead of those foolish enough to use Tails.

I like using Knuckles all the time, even in race. He just offers better control, even if I have to give up a bit of speed. Naturally, I have no chance in thokfest maps. Well, at least I can finish ahead of those foolish enough to use Tails.

Heh, funny thing is that Tails owned at the last OLDC's race maps.

I've never raced with anyone but I would probably use Tails since he's my favorite character, and I don't think that's foolish since I could fly over everything so nyeh. >:P Jealous.

I've never raced though, because there are no servers up. Ever.

Flying doesn't help you because it's slow. You wouldn't have to do any platforming, but you would be so slow that you couldn't stand a chance against anybody. Race is meant for Sonic, obviously.

I've never raced with anyone but I would probably use Tails since he's my favorite character, and I don't think that's foolish since I could fly over everything so nyeh. >:P Jealous.

I've never raced though, because there are no servers up. Ever.

Did you find all those chaos- Er, I mean did you update SRB2 to version 2.0.4?

Well, sometimes there are those checkpoint things you have to hit so you can cross the finish line properly (that way you wont cheat by going back and forth on the line or something like that), so you can't always fly over obstacles because some of them have checkpoints that you may have missed.

Anyways, I did try to have a non-thokfest race. It was splitscreen with my sister (I don't host much) and I used Knuckles to try to make it a fair game to her. Eventually I got bored and thokked as Sonic instead and she ended up getting mad at me.

I kinda get the feeling there'd be far less thokfests to begin with if the majority the default race levels weren't great big trenches. From my experience, using Co-op levels for racing instead has ways to avoid the thokking shtick, depending on which level you choose.

I think everyone's definition of "thokfest" is extremely whacked. A "thokfest", in my opinion, is NOT a map that you can thok in once without penalty. It's basically something so wide open and so devoid of obstacles that there's no challenge whatsoever. You may not realize this, but thokking around everywhere takes skill.

Honestly, you people are the reason I want to force forceskin Sonic in Race. Notice that NONE of the official 10 circuit maps fit that definition I gave up there. They all have a fair bit of obstacles of SOME form somewhere.

I'd also like to note that the people who make their maps unplayable by making them so cramped and obstacle filled just because they want to stop thokking are doing themselves a huge disservice.

犬夜叉;664418 said:
You may not realize this, but thokking around everywhere takes skill.
Care to elaborate? Double-tapping jump ain't exactly rocket science, and aiming to thok round corners / up platforms isn't much harder.

I'd also like to note that the people who make their maps unplayable by making them so cramped and obstacle filled just because they want to stop thokking are doing themselves a huge disservice
This much I have to agree with though. Hell, SP maps prove you can cut down on thokfests just by adding some semblance of platforming instead, funnily enough.

Care to elaborate? Double-tapping jump ain't exactly rocket science, and aiming to thok round corners/up platforms isn't much harder.

Even in the easier maps, efficiencies can be made, such as thok-slide-thok, but in most maps, you just try consistently thokking around the place without falling off until you develop skills.

Care to elaborate? Double-tapping jump ain't exactly rocket science, and aiming to thok round corners / up platforms isn't much harder.
Thokking is easy. Thokking efficiently without waste is actually kinda hard. Because of the way our wall collision works, if you strike a wall in your thok, you get slowed down dramatically. Of course, the fastest route is right next to the inside wall of the course, so this creates a natural tension as you're using a move designed to remove the control from the player as close as possible to something that will slow you down if you hit it.

Also, generally it's optimal to use the max jump height while thokking, so you want to optimize your path to require less jumping. Since you can't change directions in mid-air after thokking, it's important to thok in such a way that the landing point will be as advantageous as possible to set up the next thok, especially in situations where you're trying to go around corners. Landing perfectly right beyond the corner to set up a quick 90 degree turn into the next straightaway without slowing down at all takes a lot of precision and skill.

Sure, you COULD just mash jump over and over again and go fast, but that would certainly not be optimal and you would lose against someone who knows what they're doing.

Even Mystic is getting off topic, this isn't a explanation of how to thok better, nor is it a topic about arguing about how the thok should be used. This is a topic asking if you have ever been in a race where everybody didn't thok wildly with reckless abandon or skillfully with elite timing.

So to end this pointless conversation, no Majro, I have not.

Next.

I don't know, I see a few up right now. If you don't see them up, you can always host your own, too. If that doesn't work, pop into #srb2fun. The place is never empty, and it's a great spot to find someone to have a netgame with.

I don't know, I see a few up right now. If you don't see them up, you can always host your own, too. If that doesn't work, pop into #srb2fun. The place is never empty, and it's a great spot to find someone to have a netgame with.

Good idea, I just have to figure out how to use IRC then, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back