Doom engine suggestions and Q (SRB2 Editor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus8088

Overly sleepy
Hello, i'm wondering if the doom engine allows spherical loops (In the editor) for the player to go full 360 in a loop and come down, this would massively benefit map making and better ideas for more complex map building and creativity

SRB2 isn't exactly based on the Doom engine, It is based on a Doom Sourceport named Doom Legacy, and for a Spherical loop to work, you would need a Full 3D engine i suppose, SRB2 is (and so is Doom) 2.5D.

SRB2 isn't exactly based on the Doom engine, It is based on a Doom Sourceport named Doom Legacy, and for a Spherical loop to work, you would need a Full 3D engine i suppose, SRB2 is (and so is Doom) 2.5D.

I see, a dissapointment for sure, was expecting atleast that of the sort
the engine is very limited and i fully understand now
hopefully the devs update towards a more simple and easier engine like unity (i know it's easier said than done) but it would be a good leap towards the future of SRB2 and more efficient and creative level design

Ain't going to happen for sure, SRB2 has been on the current engine for years and I don't think it would be good idea to recreate every piece of code from Scratch to move to a new engine to just provide a more complex manner of level creation which almost nobody asked for, It would make it harder for fans to create custom content for the game, Not to mention some of the existing modding methods would have to completely recreated to work within the new engine which is a big task that requires a lot of time, and is not worth doing anyway, it's cons are more than it's pros.

Hello, i'm wondering if the doom engine allows spherical loops (In the editor) for the player to go full 360 in a loop and come down, this would massively benefit map making and better ideas for more complex map building and creativity
PleasingDecentGourami.gif

It's never been intended, but you can totally hack one together if you really want to!

hopefully the devs update towards a more simple and easier engine like unity (i know it's easier said than done) but it would be a good leap towards the future of SRB2 and more efficient and creative level design
You're probably the 573rd person to ask this (although most people usually ask for ZDoom instead of Unity), and the reason we've never done it is because if you're throwing everything out to start on a new engine anyway, you might as well make a new game that isn't restrained to a 20-year-old design shaped around this engine. We'd be losing all of the modding support and expertise built up if we switched off of Doom-based engines anyway.

We have enough complex features that never get used as it is. First to make a match map with polyobjects wins.

Right right, this game was a part of my childhood, i've just recently revisited it after almost a decade
i certainly understand how much that engine means to everyone, i just mean upgrading the current engine, not moving to a new one, sorry about the previous suggestion
and yeah, sure modding a new loop in SRB2 would be great
better the experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back