One idea for the rooms of SRB2 Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RafaelXFire

THOUSAND YEARS OF DEATH
Would not it be better if you did rooms each country or region, type an example:

Choose your room:
United States
Brazil

Now choose your badroom

Standard
casual
All.

Note: is just an idea if you will need to do, but I think it would be cool to have a room for each country.

Given that the average amount of servers on the MS seems to hover around ~10-14 anyway, I can't see this helping anything - just makes it harder to find a server that actually has players. You can sort the list by ping (which, for the most part, is determined by distance from the server), so what more could you want?

(Also love how Europe isn't even considered :U)

Given that the average amount of servers on the MS seems to hover around ~10-14 anyway, I can't see this helping anything - just makes it harder to find a server that actually has players. You can sort the list by ping (which, for the most part, is determined by distance from the server), so what more could you want?

(Also love how Europe isn't even considered :U)

I knew someone would say this, but it was just an idea.

"It's just an idea" doesn't make it immune to criticism, you know. Especially since you offered absolutely no reason as to why it would be a good idea.

Instead of by countries... How about by language? Pretty much the only people who play Srb2 are English speakers or Spanish speakers. It makes it easier for someone who speaks Spanish to join a Spanish server.

Also, what is the point of Standard and Casual rooms anyway? I mean sure it makes it easier but does it bother someone THAT much to see a role playing server... And if you accidentally join that server, just join another server.

Actually, Brazil speaks Portuguese, not Spanish. If we were going to have a separate room for each language spoken in this community we'd have a silly amount of rooms. The proper way to solve the language problem is to write your server name in the language you speak.

All languages are equally important. If we divide the Master Server into different rooms for different languages, I demand equal representation for Basque, Esperanto, Binary, Pig Latin, and C++.

Last edited:
There are too many times where I have joined a server with a full, grammatically correct English name only for it to be filled with people who either speak bad English or a different language.

Actually, Brazil speaks Portuguese, not Spanish. If we were going to have a separate room for each language spoken in this community we'd have a silly amount of rooms. The proper way to solve the language problem is to write your server name in the language you speak.

I didn't mean Brazil but I see your point. Still it seems completely unneeded to have separate rooms based on the type of game play you want to do. Why not just have one room like back in the 1094 days. It seems to be easier and "should" put less stress on the master server. Unless it puts more stress on the master server, in which case proves I know nothing about coding.

It doesn't really stress the server out to have multiple rooms. It's just a single extra variable to keep track of. The reason for the rooms is more to try to help people find games that match their preferred style of play more than anything else. You can also set it to "All" to not filter by room at all.

I didn't mean Brazil but I see your point. Still it seems completely unneeded to have separate rooms based on the type of game play you want to do. Why not just have one room like back in the 1094 days. It seems to be easier and "should" put less stress on the master server. Unless it puts more stress on the master server, in which case proves I know nothing about coding.

Why removed casual when it helps separates Standard games with rules to not allow Role Play in Standard servers. Casual is fantastic for just that reason, to allow players to roll play with little to no rules. If everything was combined, it would make it a disaster if they allowed Standard rooms to allow roll play. Then again, they can removed Roll play entirely. But then that means people would probably start breaking the rules like they did back in 1.09.4. And nobody wants that.

And from my knowledge from hosting Master Servers. The Master Server is one big server Speed. If the two rooms we're to be removed it would not change anything one bit.

Okay this may even be exaggerated and the Master Server may end up getting kinda messy idea and I'm not on the time of SRB2 1.09.4 but the 2.0.6, so I did not know that the master server at 109.4 had been .. . well forget not to have too many discussions here would be better block post.

(Or not if you prefer).

Why removed casual when it helps separates Standard games with rules to not allow Role Play in Standard servers. Casual is fantastic for just that reason, to allow players to roll play with little to no rules. If everything was combined, it would make it a disaster if they allowed Standard rooms to allow roll play. Then again, they can removed Roll play entirely. But then that means people would probably start breaking the rules like they did back in 1.09.4. And nobody wants that.

And from my knowledge from hosting Master Servers. The Master Server is one big server Speed. If the two rooms we're to be removed it would not change anything one bit.

Okay, instead of the name "casual" why not call the room "Other" or "RolePlay"
Casual does separate from the standard servers, but lets face it, what else could you do other than Hangout or Role play in a server? The answer: nothing. Also if there could be anymore division, could we at least sort servers by the gametype as well? I'd like moar co-op plz.

Casual does separate from the standard servers, but lets face it, what else could you do other than Hangout or Role play in a server? The answer: nothing.
Isn't the Standard room for official game types played like they're meant to be played, and Casual for anything else, including the Control Point Lua thing?

I would say that the Control Point gametype, while not included with the vanilla package, could still be considered "Official", Since it is completely governed by in-game coding, instead of what I assume an "Un-official" gametype is, which is basically just house rules. Like playing match and trying to set collecting the most rings as a winning condition and not hitting other players as a rule just by getting the other players to cooperate with you. But that might be incorrect, I don't know.

I would say that the Control Point gametype, while not included with the vanilla package, could still be considered "Official", Since it is completely governed by in-game coding, instead of what I assume an "Un-official" gametype is, which is basically just house rules.
While it is completely... uh, "governed"? Well, while it is completely governed by in-game coding, I guess, the game-type itself is still an external mod. *Shrug* Well, I'm not big into netplay, I have no idea.

I really don't feel the need to add another room. The groups of Standard and Casual are general enough that there's really little to no reason why we'd require another one. Standard works if you're playing the game like it's meant to (which includes modifications), and Casual works if you're doing something that goes against game flow, such as role playing. That's all there really is to it in my opinion.

The difference between Standard and Casual, as far as I'm aware, is rooms in Standard are played exactly by the game's rules (whether those have been modified through addon WADs or not, like with the CP gametype mod), while Casual rooms can have silly stipulations put up by the host. As an example, in 2.0 days I used to host servers in the Match gametype with the rule that Sonic players weren't allowed to move or jump, and had to be carried around by Tails players who weren't allowed to fire rings. That's an example of something that would be hosted in Casual despite not being roleplay. (Granted, nowadays you could write a Lua script to enforce those rules and it'd be hosted in Standard.)

The reasoning for this division is to make it easy for people who want to just jump in and play a game to find servers for that purpose, while allowing those interested in esoteric rulesets and roleplaying their own place for that without getting the former crowd jumping in and whining about MS rules. Dividing rooms by region is silly when you can use the default sorting by ping to find servers closest to you.

I remember back in 1.09.4, I used to host very strange "KnuxRaces" - basically: Knuckles Only, Ringslinger ON, 10 laps, Speed Shoes item boxes. I'd always switch off server advertising when doing that, as Casual didn't exist back then and I didn't want to be struck just for playing a nonstandard gametype ;D If I recall, one user took a video of that and posted it on YouTube, though I can't remember what it was called.

But yeah, Casual can be used for way more than just Hangout / Roleplay - for example: Testing out a new Addon or a gametype where the goal isn't exactly gametype-based (ie: A "co-op" mode where the goal was to get a ball into a hoop, with 2 teams fighting it out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back