Wireless Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSNTails

What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
What's a good wireless router to get? I want one that won't monkey with the ports when you host a netgame, etc. etc.

D-link Gold(or any degrades/upgrades)

I host perfectly fine with it.
Edit:You don't need the right port too.XD

AndyQHW of Sigsev Cafe tells me to pass this message onto you, since he's not registered here:
Get a 2wire router, it automatically forwards your ports and lets you host.
In return, make him play a netgame with me so I can see how good he is.
I take no responsibility for his words, I am simply a messenger.

My Linksys WRT54G v3 router hasn't failed me yet other than when bit-torrent comes along and then the router starts to make the internet speed almost stop until you pause the torrent or reboot the router. It gets so bad that you can't even access the router CP. Stuff like IRC and stuff can still work if you are already connected to it though. Luckily, this doesn't happen that often. I haven't seen any weird port problems and I have hosted many things on it like a webserver, ftp server, remote desktop stuff, etc...

SSNTails said:
What's a good wireless router to get? I want one that won't monkey with the ports when you host a netgame, etc. etc.

THATS MY PROBLEM TO NO ONE JOINING MY NETGAMES, THANK YOU SSN!! *shot for caps lock*

My router is a localized version of Speedstream issued by my ISP and doesn't support port forwarding... I don't think it makes a difference as for all the linksys junk we have around the house because the main one won't forward ports.

However I do find that the linksys signal boosters are relatively unreliable. When I relied on a booster on the other side of the house, I was constantly traveling back and forth to connect. I don't know whether to blame my siblings, the connection in my area, or the booster though.

Currently I use a wireless linksys router across the basement directly connected to the main router with no boosters and my connection is decent except when for periods of time it goes crazy.

i have a 2wire router, here are its pro and cons:
Pro
Internet speed is excellent (I can play online games with next to no lag)

Cons
It goes wacko about once every week
Weak wireless signal, i need to be within 20 feet of it

Right now I have Deutsche Telekom, but they probably don't have it out of Germany. I mean, it's Deutsche Telekom! :/ Besides, DT messes up tons.

But besides that, I strongly suggest 2wire. It had a good speed, it never messed up for us, and a good signal strength.

Ehh, WLAN is terrible for me. Any type. I want Wired Connection. I'll get it one day, but the current one I have is rubbish. So I can't host netgames, sadly. I even know how to, but I can't. So sorry. No advice from me.

I use a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 flashed with OpenWRT. The latter bit is the important part. I need to forward ports on the router to different ports on LAN addresses, and assign specific IPs by DHCP determined by MAC address, and I don't know of any router which can do these things with its first-party firmware. Screenshot for fun and profit:

At home I use a Netgear DG834G (with its original firmware) which has a built-in DSL modem. No significant problems here.

Netgear Rangemax routers are pretty good, I had one till I decided to change to using an old PC with smoothwall on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back