SRB2 CONTEST: Calling all texture artists!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monster Iestyn said:
GemEarthBrandon said:
Ok here is what I got for now
orang004.jpg

Seems interesting...

What is it supposed to be? Sand? Some sort of rock texture?
Yeah a wall/rock texture. I hope SSNTails likes it. If he does, I can do more.

Draykon said:
GemEarthBrandon said:
Here is what your Arid Canyon Zone sky image looks like.
Frame stretchin' good.
Any comments SSNtails or anyone else?

Don't suppose you've been listening, SSN scaled down the image, so attempting to use it would result in the pixelation you see there. In addition, it's made for the 1.1 pallete, where I imagine the colors look less horrible. So yeah, don't go trying to use that sky in a level, it won't work.
Yeah I tried it and it made the regular image looks blurry and horrible so I got rid of it.

JEV3 said:
Monster, the rocks/crystal things in the second texture look just randomly scattered there, and I doubt that's the intended result.

As for the first one, it looks cool, I noticed a strong influence of Lava Reef in that. If you want to avoid it looking tiled, you can try making it as big as 256x256 and rather than resize it, add some depth. However it looks no less tiled than the LRZ textures already present.

My main criticism would be the coloring, which looks very flat. While blocky shading *is* something that works well for SRB2, its still good to have some light dark variation. Try using lighter or darker colors from the color range you used and see if you can make it look good with a little variation. A little added depth definitely wouldn't hurt.

My last gripe is that it doesn't *quite* look like something you'd see in a Desert, its more of a Hidden Palace texture. Right off the bat those look more like crystals than rock.

And GemEB, the current textures have been exhausted to the point where its hard to come up with an original stage design without making new ones, which nobody ever does here. (haven't seen ANY recently other than Palmtree Panic excluding secrets) Furthermore having its own texture set will make ACZ its own theme, rather than becoming a mixture of other suitable themes. I'm hoping that every official SRB2 level will have its own exclusive texture set, and that RVZ is going to lose the repetitive MMZ textures it has in the demo.
I think RVZ should keep the MMZ textures, it perfectly matches level, but I thought Arid Canyon was using the MMZ textures too.

How about this one?
yello006.jpg

Most Canyons are bright besides the grand canyon.
texturehue9607602.jpg

The plan is to come up with much textures as we can and see which ones SSNtails likes and chooses.

GemEarthBrandon said:
How about this one?
yello006.jpg

Most Canyons are bright besides the grand canyon.
texturehue9607602.jpg

The plan is to come up with much textures as we can and see which ones SSNtails likes and chooses.

Interesting textures yet again, GemEarthBrandon. But will they fit the actual zone?

And please use the edit button to add more to your post, rather than posting even more.

The textures are too soft, they will blend into mush if tiled and put into perspective. They need to be distinguishable from a distance, but seamless enough not to look too awful when seeing so much of it.

Also, brightness can be better displayed through contrast. It is also easier on the eyes when you throw some lighter colors against some darker colors. That was one of my initial faults where I'd always use bright colors everywhere and my father would tell me that it was hard to look at. So if canyons are bright (which I am inclined to disagree with) its still better to color it a little more practical to the gameplay... there are more colors in real life than you could recreate in a next-gen game anyways.

Also, as for MMZ matching the RVZ level, I would agree that they could *fit* for a volcano's interior, but when used too much they don't look as great as they should from a distance, and its merely the same texture colored three times. All the MMZ textures look best in smaller sizes in my opinion. I'd like to see them made bigger at the very least to be closer in relation to the Lava Reef texture size.

Bump. JEV3, remember when you said that a texture of mine looked more like crystal? That made me think of recolouring it to use for Ice levels, like these:
CRYSTL1.png

CRYSTL2.png

I think the second one might do better being used for an underwater level...

I will post later when I have made a level to test them with, and taken a screenshot of it.

Back on topic, meanwhile, I have no new textures what-so-ever for this contest.

GemEarthBrandon said:
SSNTails what do you want the level to be like?

What do you want it to have?

I tried asking a question like that earlier in this topic, but I got no reply. As JEV3 said, use your imagination.

I haven't tested the textures in my previous post yet, but I have made a new texture.

Here it is:
ACZWAL07.png

And when tiled to 512x512:
ACZWAL072.png

Is it good?

nitro_the_hedghog said:
Looks like a honeycomb.

A HONEYCOMB?!!

Well... Back to the old drawing board...

I can't seem to make a good rock texture for Arid Canyon without it either looking flat or looking like something else!!!

Try making some of the rocks pop out a little more. It might make it look less like honeycombs and more like rocks.

It could definitely use some shading, but I don't see how that would help without it looking just like the Lava Reef textures. It just doesn't seem very interesting. I thought 'honeycomb' when I first saw that as well.

It took me a long time to come up with something I liked, but in the end it didn't look remotely like anything you'd see in a desert, but it still seemed to fit in. Try veering a bit from common 'realistic' choices and come up with what might look good in the level however abstract it may be. (so long as it doesn't look like it belongs in a different level =P ) Where would you expect to see orange/brown checkered walls anyways?

Monster Iestyn said:
GemEarthBrandon said:
SSNTails what do you want the level to be like?

What do you want it to have?

I tried asking a question like that earlier in this topic, but I got no reply. As JEV3 said, use your imagination.

I haven't tested the textures in my previous post yet, but I have made a new texture.

Here it is:
ACZWAL07.png

ACZWAL072.png

Is it good?

Aaaaaaah, I don't know. It's nothing canyon like to me but it's good for platform rocks though.

I haven't tested none of mines either but I can give it a try and see what you guys think.

He can also use tumbleweeds and cactus as scenery.

The Dark Fox said:
I'd say that a simple recolor of GFz's blocks could go with any Zone. >_>

Hmmm. Arid Canyon can use a yellow and brown texture same as the GFZ blocks but we really want something that looks like a real canyon.

mikesword221 said:
Try making some of the rocks pop out a little more. It might make it look less like honeycombs and more like rocks.

Like this? (I'm not sure it's enough)
ACZWAL073.png

ACZWAL074.png

(I've still forgotten to test those crystal-like textures that are at the top of this page...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back