Netplay Forum: A solution to our Master Server problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairebun

Community Noise Maker
Sonic Team Junior
Alright, alright, I know that simply by the title alone, this sounds like advertisement, but bare with me for just a moment, or else I'll kick your face in. I have an idea that's going to decrease the amount of four-year-olds on our master server, but at the same time, add an alternative place to where they can still continue their hangouts and roleplay servers.

http://srb2.sapphirecontrol.com/

Here's my plan. Me and some other people advertise this website to noobs, saying that they can come here without being bothered by "master server rules broken, ima report you". A guest forum will be created for hangouts and the whatnot so people can get some of their servers going without the need for a master server. If there's enough people willing to go to the forum, then it will be active, and therefore successful. The noobs'll also get their own general discussion forums so they don't get bored with the whole thing. The boards will be loosely moderated, with no regards to grammar, but still making sure there are no dickwads lurking about.

If you want to stick around the forum but not the morons, don't stress: registered users that can prove they have more than a few braincells will be allowed to post in some hidden forums; a more secluded netplay forum and smarter versions of the previously mentioned discussion forums. Staff will get their own hidden forum too, obviously. This means there will still be some forum hierarchy going on, but there will be no conflict between roleplayers and older groups, because they won't be disrupting each other's activities or being a retard in the other half of the community's space. Now, to explain why this is oddly placed in this forum....

I need help. More specifically, I need suggestions on how to go about this forum, constructive criticism and advice on the flaws of this plan, and the involvement of others to make this thing work. I need to grab the hangout people's attention in order to make this idea work, and with that, I would also appreciate some help. If you don't think this is a good idea, tell me why and share what you think will help the community. In any case, I know I can't execute this forum properly without some feedback, so if nothing else, discuss your thoughts on this idea here.

On a slightly related note, I can't seem to add a poll with four options. What the hell?

Blue Warrior said:
On a slightly related note, I can't seem to add a poll with four options. What the hell?

Polls were removed months ago.

Anyway, this is a great idea. Trying to register, stupid thing says my signature is too long, and it isn't...

Maybe we can use {bind <key> "say there is a new forum for hangout/rp game creation. [website here]" *praised or brutally murdered depending on reaction* This idea Pwns so hard.

Blue Warrior said:
Read the freaking announcements for once.

Also, having a "more intelligent" discussion area is a terrible idea. The n00bs will have their place to discuss their stuff, and we have places to discuss ours. I mean, their already is a secret intelligent discussion forum, and IT'S DEAD. We don't need more.

As for getting moderators, good luck. It doesn't sound fun.

on Edge said:
Blue Warrior said:

Yeah, it's absolutely mind boggling that I missed an announcement for once. I can't know when the rules are randomly updated, and, to be frank, there's no "Latest News" sort of page to make the latest announcement noticeable, so it's hard to know when a new announcement is made. Sorry, Little Miss Perfect.

Also, having a "more intelligent" discussion area is a terrible idea. The n00bs will have their place to discuss their stuff, and we have places to discuss ours. I mean, their already is a secret intelligent discussion forum, and IT'S DEAD. We don't need more.

As for getting moderators, good luck. It doesn't sound fun.

Actually, the "intelligent discussion" part of the forum is probably the entire reason the moderators would stick around. But to be honest, I don't need moderators at the moment. Namely because there aren't a lot of people to moderate.

There is a major issue with this that you seem to have overlooked. Everything this does, we already have a method for doing which is more practical and useful.

While it's not generally done much anymore, the point of the #srb2fun chat room was originally to *gasp* set up netgames of SRB2. While it's not really used for that purpose much anymore, setting up a channel specifically for netgame creation sounds like a reasonable step. Forums simply don't work well for setting up netgames, which is why we banned asking for netgames on the forum to begin with.

The #srb2fun chat room doesn't attract people of the younger community, possibly because they don't know how to set up mIRC. Besides, I'm not sure if you'd want to attract them anyway.

I understand the issue of a forum being slightly inconvenient for organizing netgames, but it's easier than setting up mIRC, and if the phpBB attachment mod were to be installed on it, it might be even easier when hosting netgames with wads loaded. I realize the bandwidth that could be used up with said mod, and personally, I think my website has gotten way too little traffic for that to even matter.

Thanks for bringing up that issue, though; I may look into a Java chat applet for the forum later to try and rectify any problems that may occur.

I really like this idea; It would be really excellent, seeing as this forum is rather unpopular for the reason that people say this:
Rather than this:
It was announced a few months ago that polls are disabled.
It would be nice to have a more newbie-friendly area.

Hannyness said:
It would be nice to have a more newbie-friendly area.

If you read the rules and announcements, you would have no need to be treated as such -.- But just use the IRC chatroom, it's easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back