The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leeme tell you a story. There's this girl at the cafeteria where I work at and one day she showed up with a dyed pony-tail. It was deep blue and a vibrant purple, almost exactly the color of Twilight-Sparkle's mane. I decided that this couldn't possibly be a coincidence.

So I go up and ask her about it...

Me: So, you got your hair dyed, huh?

Her: Uh, yeah.

Me: It reminds me a lot of Twilight-Sparkle.

Her: ...What?

Me: You know, she's a character from My Little Ponies...

Her: (looking at me as if I'm deranged) What?

Me: ...Uh... You know, there's this new My Little Ponies cartoon out now and... uhm... Look, the only reason I know about it is because there's a lot of guys of the Internet who happen to like it!

Her: ...Ha-ha. You're pretty funny.

That was a few weeks back. Now we're pretty good acquaintances. Thanks My Little Pony!

And it begins. What begins? The era where My Little Pony brings lifelong couples together.

Funny seeing this, right after that discussion we had on #srb2pony.

Jesus, it really is him, both in voice and personality. I love it.

discord_and_picard_by_willdrawforfood1-d49ok1k.png

Leeme tell you a story. There's this girl at the cafeteria where I work at and one day she showed up with a dyed pony-tail. It was deep blue and a vibrant purple, almost exactly the color of Twilight-Sparkle's mane. I decided that this couldn't possibly be a coincidence.

So I go up and ask her about it...

Me: So, you got your hair dyed, huh?

Her: Uh, yeah.

Me: It reminds me a lot of Twilight-Sparkle.

Her: ...What?

Me: You know, she's a character from My Little Ponies...

Her: (looking at me as if I'm deranged) What?

Me: ...Uh... You know, there's this new My Little Ponies cartoon out now and... uhm... Look, the only reason I know about it is because there's a lot of guys of the Internet who happen to like it!

Her: ...Ha-ha. You're pretty funny.

That was a few weeks back. Now we're pretty good acquaintances. Thanks My Little Pony!

If there was a Thumbs Up/Well Played rating on this forum, I would give you it. That's amazing and that's the one thing I wouldn't expect to get a reaction from. Nice work.

While we certainly don't know much about Discord's motivations and only have a vague idea of how his personality works most of the time from the one minute clip we've seen. Right now he appears to be...

Some kind of a crazy combination of Q and Sheogorath. That's absolutely crazy and amazing. Certainly much better than the super serious black alicorn of generic darkness I was worried might happen.

I like where this is going, I like it a lot.

The first episode of season 2 has now aired!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn0j1PVk30k&hd=1

So far this is a very interesting storyline. Discord seems to be doing a great job at living up to the high expectations of the fanbase and the legacy associated with having John De Lancie voice him as well.

59282%20-%20Discord%20animated%20running_man%20twilight_sparkle.gif

Discord has swag yo. I completely lost it and laughed hard when Discord used the 'Macbeth three witches' trope to trick Applejack.

Last edited:
That was a good episode.
It took me a while to work out how clever Dischord was in his ways of tricking them (Cutie Marks + their own element). But oh god, that was a great episode, espcially loved the "tricking" of Fluttershy. xD

To begin with it started to feel rushed, but the gags that set it up were awesome and once Discord showed up I enjoyed everything it had to offer. Also I love that they got John de Lancie for him, and I'm glad that I didn't find out until after I saw the show. It made the realization that much more awesome.

I can't believe they pulled off the deharmonized Fluttershy, that whip of her tail sold it. And I was wondering how they were going to do that once I caught the pattern.

Honestly, Fluttershy and Pinkie's corruption scenes got to me. I've often worried about crossing the line and laughing AT the clown instead of laughing with the clown. And I also worry about being too sensitive to someone's needs to the point of accentuating them and being hurtful. Pretty much every subversion was believable, I liked Applejack's as well, but these two in particular worked because I thought back to every scene in Season 1 where they didn't take Pinkie Pie seriously, or came across as mean to Fluttershy. I think they really did a good job here.

I had a similar feeling at the beginning of the episode, which made me feel dissapointed at first, but all and all, it was a very good episode.
And I half expected Pinkie's hair to deflate when she got manipulated.

I should've just not watch the episode 'till the season's over, like I did with season one.

That way I don't have to wait like this D:
THE WAIT. IT IS TERRIBLE.

This was a really good episode, although the beginning felt rather rushed (especially Twilight's introduction in the episode...ughn). But as soon as they made it to Canterlot it really started to pick up. I find it amusing that Pinkie Pie is the only one who actually enjoys Discord's antics. Her reaction to the Elements' of Harmony disappearance is priceless. "Oh, well. If anyone needs me, I'll be outside in the chocolate puddles with a giant swizzle straw." I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Discord's introduction later definitely made him intimidating (which he is) but they also made him rather entertaining (dancing on Twilight's head). He definitely is a sort of trickster type and I love him for it.

I love how he manipulates the Mane 6 in the maze. I like how in addition to changing their personalities to be the opposite of their element, that they're themed around their Cutie Marks. It took me awhile to catch on to that. Applejack was confronted with those Apple puppets, and now she lies a lot (and just like in Party of One, she's god awful terrible at it). Pinkie Pie was laughed at by balloons, and now she's angry all of the time. Rarity was shown 3 diamonds, and now she's greedy. Fluttershy was confronted by 3 butterflies, and now she's a bitch. Rainbow Dash followed a cloud with rainbow lightning bolts, and she abandoned her friends instead of being loyal to them. I particularly liked how Fluttershy was completely immune to Discord's tricks until he pulled hax on her. It's things like that that make her my favorite pony. I really like how they pulled off Fluttersnide too, she really is the complete opposite of who she was, and her whipping Twilight, and ramming Pinkie into a wall is just the icing on the cake.

Discord is up there as one of my all-time favorite villains right now, and I can't wait to see what'll happen next episode (which I'm missing again, because of a band competition. *sigh*)

Already sent that Retro's way.... and got glorious results.

I love Discord. This story arc better not be resolved immediately by the end of next episode or my fury will be great.
Come on Greg get with the program already XD as of this generation of cartoons (normally those focusing on a younger audience) about every conflict is solved with some godly miracle or a giant flash of light obliterating everything. . .or a giant monster thing which normally gets the job done. Besides, it happened in the first episode of this series, it may just repeat itself again in a facade.

But nevertheless I have to agree, despite the rush in the beginning (I'm still sitting here wondering what happened in those 2-3 minutes of watching until Discord came in) they actually got season 2 going beautifully and should end the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back