New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rush is fast paced. But Sonic Advance... Nah

Also, by your definition, Sonic Unleashed daytime stages can be partly Genesis-era gameplay.
If Sonic wasn't going 3000 MPH.. then ya.

It is rumored that they are using the hedgehog engine for this game. So... :p

Guys. I found something incredible.

nlev.png

Show us your manly tears. Someone has made the modern Sonic into nostalgic bliss.

I love how the old gen design is just simple and not modified to impress like the next gen version. Though don't expect this to be the design in the next game, which is a shame of course.

^That sir is brilliantly awesome, Hopefully I can get online before the release of the first episode.

That image is just beautiful.
I would be in awe if the best Sonic site on the world hadn't died completely outta nowhere today ;_;

@Bigboi: No, Retro sucks >_>
Awesome info source, but full of idiots.
Also, irrelevant for 99% of the world.

Last edited:
Sonic Shadow, if retro 'sucked', then why are you even posting here? This entire game is all about retro.

I also agree with that Sonic pic. It's pure win.

Sonic Shadow, if retro 'sucked', then why are you even posting here? This entire game is all about retro.

I also agree with that Sonic pic. It's pure win.

Retro Sonic doesn't suck, Sonic Retro does =P (The place is WAY too hostile)
The site I was talking about is the one that won Sonic Site Awards 2009, as information station.
The owner of the site decided to stop wasting money with hosting and get a life =P

Also, I just noticed the new pic. Someone should hack this as a model into Unleashed :(

That image was posted on Sonic Retro? Did someone from Retro make it, and did they make the other concept art? Just posting the picture without a link doesn't tell us very much... apparently enough to get a few people talking but I have no idea what it is supposed to mean.

------------------
EDIT: Haven't found the concept art posted above yet, but I found this. I've heard these rants over and over, and most of the time I'm the one delivering them... but its refreshing to see it from someone who apparently has some semblence of officiality.

I know the comments are frequently using Mario as an example of a more stable fanbase, but that's not necessarily true when you have the "hardcore vs casual" conflict. Its honestly why I like Touhou so much, its so refreshing to like a game without other fans bashing you for it. While I'm sure it happens, I've never seen someone hazed because their favorite part of Touhou is the fighting games, or the PC98 games, or the epic fanart, or fanart of a *cough*different*cough* nature, or the IOSYS memes... well at least not by other fans.

We're pretty civil here, but we're hardly a Sonic community anymore... I mean just look at our Sonic forum (aha! what sonic forum? *wink*).

This is just the social observer in me speaking, but I'm more interested in how the sonic community responds to this game than the game itself. Baww, now I'm thinking like a troll.

------------------
EDIT2: Nup, saw the crabmeat but no other concept art. Clearly its not official. (the image that is)

Last edited:
I'd do anything to see that 3D Classic Sonic model in Needlemouse. We all need to bombard Sega with letters until they give up and put it in.

I swear, if the retro fans, me included, put one bit of effort the new fans do when they want something in a new Sonic game, we'd about have the whole franchise fixed by now. Also... is it bad that I laughed at every comment upset that Sonic was the only character?

It shouldn't be. I call that a victory, personally. A small, meaningless victory in the long run, but when you're a retro fanatic like I am, (except for Unleashed and Rush, MAYBE) you take what you can get.

Also, apparently, they're going to be splitting this up into episodes, probably DLC. I wouldn't mind paying for Tails and Knuckles, if they had as many alternate paths and secrets as they did in S3&K.

In all honesty, if they revert to the classic Sonic model, I will probably buy this game even if it turns out to be a rotten egg. I don't mind if they go back to the new Sonic style all games afterward, I'd just like to see brown-eyed Sonic come back for a game.

...it's a shorter Sonic with stubbier quills, souless black eyes and a weight problem. I honestly fail to see how it would make such a big difference in the long run.

EDIT:
I swear, if the retro fans, me included, put one bit of effort the new fans do when they want something in a new Sonic game, we'd about have the whole franchise fixed by now.
lol, irony! Sonic Retro already tried that. And you know what? IT FAILED MISERABLY. What the fandom simply doesn't seem to understand is that nearly all Sonic fans, regardless of oldfags or newfags, have their own incredibly biased definition of the "perfect Sonic game", and even if any of them are right in any sense they'd still be too busy arguing with everyone else's definitions to actually make a game out of it. Additional to the fact is that few, if any, of these people have ever made, participated in making or even designed a game of their own, and don't have the slightest clue as to what actually makes one, let alone how to go about putting things together. This is only evidenced further by the fact most of them prioritize extremely petty and non-issue factors over something as important as, oh I dunno, how the game plays physically.

Maybe a smaller team of experienced individuals would be much less conflicted with each other and competent enough to actually get together a working product, but as it stands right now there's a very good reason why most games aren't community-based in development - the short answer is that the fandom as a collective is full of ****, and is completely incapable of reaching any kind of meaningful concession with each other even if they tried.

Sorry if I seem agitated about this. Call it a pet peeve on my part.

Last edited:
I prefer the design used around Sonic Adventure. While Sonic is designed to appear more sleek than the old models, his body is still fairly compact and his limbs aren't yet lanky.

2kep2s.png

This is probably the drawing that best captures what I'm talking about. See, this design can pass as a cute abstraction of a hedgehog or as a cool humanoid athelete. You get the best of both worlds.

And while we're on the subject of old designs,

Sonicad1.png

why did the Genesis-era artwork and sprites depict Sonic running with his arms in that locked, forward-oriented position? Honestly, looking at YouTube footage, real-life sprinters don't do that. Admittedly it's nothing to split hairs over, but it looks awkward and not the least bit aerodynamic.

In all honesty, if they revert to the classic Sonic model, I will probably buy this game even if it turns out to be a rotten egg. I don't mind if they go back to the new Sonic style all games afterward, I'd just like to see brown-eyed Sonic come back for a game.

Uh, I don't want to sound high and mighty, but that's a terrible reason to buy a bad game.

Last edited:
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/2...-2-new-concept-art-and-a-very-special-reward/

Welcome back, Needlemouse fans!

If comments are anything to go by, our last community challenge and concept art speak in spades: we’re glad that so many of you were stoked that Project Needlemouse is returning to form. Our playable blue hedgehog’s presence isn’t the only good news we have for you oldschool fans, and we’re almost ready to crack the lid on Project Needlemouse and show you a deeper look at what’s in store.

Before we get into today’s challenge, a cool fact for everyone: When we posted the first piece of concept art two weeks ago, traffic here went so far through the roof that you guys actually broke the blogs – and even some Sonic fansites, apparently. The occasion is worth noting, because it proves just how many of you out there are reading these words and silently hoping that the dreams you have for this game come true. From one oldschool Sonic fan to another, then: keep on reading.

Recently, some of you may have seen the picture below, which is not a real piece of concept art from Project Needlemouse, and was actually created by a fan named Trakker in the same style as our original. It certainly looks pretty good though, doesn’t it?

The Needlemouse Challenge: Part II
So, the folks here at SEGA have only one word to comment on the fake concept art above:

Awesome.

In fact, we’d like to see even more of it. So here’s the challenge: we want you guys to create your own concept art based on your favorite Badniks from the original Sonic games. It can be any Badnik from Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, or any other Sonic games of that era. Pick your favorite(s), draw them up concept art style, and send it our way! (Japanese not required!)

The Challenge: Submit over 100 (total) pieces of Concept Art of your favorite oldschool Badniks to SEGA! Show us which enemies you want to see in Project Needlemouse!

The Reward: If the challenge is met, next week we’ll reveal:

Project Needlemouse’s Actual Name
Concept Art from the first Zone
A very cool extra bonus…

What to use: Alright! Now that we have your attention, on to the specifics. You can create the concept art in Photoshop, on paper, in Microsoft Paint, via crayon, or using pretty much any worthwhile medium that gets the point across. (Create it from something notably awesome – like, say, Oreos – and you will get a bonus spotlight!) The limit is one piece of concept art per person.

Submitting your concept art: Next, send it our way! You’ve got a few options here, so just pick the one that’s easiest for you.

1. Post it here in a comment! Host it on an external site like Photobucket.com, and then comment here on the Blog with a link to your art.

2. E-mail us! If you’re a little shy about showing off your work to the world, you can also send it to us via e-mail: communityteam@sega.com !

3. PM us! If you’ve got a Forum or SEGA Pass account, you can send a private message to RubyEclipse on the SEGA forums with your art. If you already have a forum account, you’re all set!

If you guys can send in a cumulative total of over 100 pieces of concept art by Monday morning at 10:00 AM, you’re in for a very special treat in the days following. This will be our final community challenge for Project Needlemouse - and it will also be one of the last times we refer to the game by its code name. If you thought the first concept art was cool, then trust us – things are about to get a whole lot more interesting. We will also be updating throughout the week and weekend to let you know how close you are!

New Concept Art #2!
Of course, basing concept art off of only a single piece is kind of difficult, right? We thought so too – so today we’re releasing our second piece of concept art in celebration! Last time we revealed a Badnik that was originally in Sonic 2; this time, we’re going back even further – say hello to an old enemy you should recognize from the original Green Hill Zone! (Click to see the full size image.)

badnik.jpg

This one is official – and this Badnik will also be appearing in the game!

Everyone has the rest of the week and the weekend to create and share your pieces. We’ll also post the best of the submissions here on the blogs for you all to view / laugh at / be totally amazed by later.

In closing, some parting thoughts that expand on some comments we made in the last blog:

Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.

Good luck, everyone!

I'm getting started on that challenge NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back