Sonic Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really agree with Blue Spheres as a mid-level bonus stage. The 3 bonus stages in Sonic 3&K at most lasted 1 minute, but often averaged to around 30 seconds, it was a quick break and didn't ruin the flow when you stopped to jump in one. Blue Sphere levels are all pretty lengthy, and a 2 minute (or more!) pit stop mid-level can really cause some burnout while playing.

Yeah i mean taxman was working on a sonic 3 and k mobile port with a fully working blue spheres system. I guess taxman didn't want to just throw it away so he decided to implement it into mania some way??

IDK just a theory, A GAM-- okno

I don't really agree with Blue Spheres as a mid-level bonus stage. The 3 bonus stages in Sonic 3&K at most lasted 1 minute, but often averaged to around 30 seconds, it was a quick break and didn't ruin the flow when you stopped to jump in one. Blue Sphere levels are all pretty lengthy, and a 2 minute (or more!) pit stop mid-level can really cause some burnout while playing.
I couldn't agree more. I think they should have had it as a mini game or something as having it as a bonus stage was kinda unnecessary.

Of every bonus/special stage type in Sonic history, Blue Spheres is the absolute easiest to exit.

Yeah i mean taxman was working on a sonic 3 and k mobile port with a fully working blue spheres system. I guess taxman didn't want to just throw it away so he decided to implement it into mania some way??

IDK just a theory, A GAM-- okno

I'm thinkin' Sonic 3 Remastered was just held off for the time for him to work on Mania (I remember signing its petition two years ago...). After Mania's selling well is when I'll hope for an update about what the status is on Sonic 3&K's port for mobile

Last edited:
If anyone has seen the Time Attack gameplay yet on YouTube, I really love the "GOAL" shout at the end. It's a nice touch and I don't mind it at all. In fact, I wish all stages ended like that.

Well, it's not like you're forced to play them or anything. And if they do provide some sort of unlockable benefit, you'd only have to play as many as are needed to unlock the content. Sonic 2's special stages were about the same length too, though that varies depending on which blue spheres stage we're comparing them to.

Of every bonus/special stage type in Sonic history, Blue Spheres is the absolute easiest to exit.

That too.

The bigger problem is Blue Sphere isn't nearly as fun as a lot of the options they had for bonus stages. It was a cool technical marvel in the mid-90s, but the movement is stilted and controls really poorly. I'd personally prefer bonus stages that are shorter and a bit less of a mechanic change since you don't get additional game progression out of them.

Special stages are fine to be a radical departure, since you tend to have fewer opportunities to play them. (That said, the Mode 7 background combined with the low-poly characters meshes together kind of poorly IMO. I wish they'd gone for one or the other style.)

Well, it's not like you're forced to play them or anything.

Spacewalk is a zone with design so terrible it resulted in Tortured Planet's initial rejection, but it's okay since you're not forced to play it. (\s)

Don't make excuses for bad game design. It's still bad whether you can skip it or not.

In this case it just feels plain lazy as well.

Since Sonic Mania is close to release, I should warn y'all that people might spoil the entire game so be cautious on surfing any game sites and YouTube.

犬夜叉;794896 said:
Spacewalk is a zone with design so terrible it resulted in Tortured Planet's initial rejection, but it's okay since you're not forced to play it. (\s)

Don't make excuses for bad game design. It's still bad whether you can skip it or not.

In this case it just feels plain lazy as well.

You have a point. Though, I do think it's slightly different since many fans actually like blue spheres, and have wanted to see it back for years. Having two forms of special stage is a bit redundant (especially since one of them is more original), but at the same time it's an anniversary game. I can't argue that it's not unnecessary content with poor placement in-game, but it's also there to bring back more familiar content to the people that want it. If it's not your thing, at least the option actually exists for the player to skip it. That's all I'm saying.

Still, some people don't want to be spoiled on any new zones, secrets, and bosses. I'll be avoiding the Internet once the reviews start coming in.

I don't know, but poeple really just care about visual side of things. I would play it, because fun and feel, even I will get spoiled, but I have to agree with that avoiding INTERNET for day or two. Because fanboies are very very very very *10 years later* very very retarded. wait is mania out ? oh no it GOT CANCEL NOOOOOO. ok, I will stop roleplaying crap, but with that fan boy part am I right ? Because it sounds stupid to be fan any type of media, but fan of group poeple is fine. Let's wait then 7 days to have old nostalgic fun !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRotnINixs
First look at Mania's Competition Mode.
GOAAAAL!!!
I personally really would like for there to be an option to disable the screen "stretching" (I'd rather see 50% less vertical space than have everything be half as tall as normal), and the "announcer" to have an option to be disabled. (The numbers and text being displayed is fine by me, I guess, but I personally don't like a voice being there at all. Not specifically that voice, just any voice in general.)

I personally really would like for there to be an option to disable the screen "stretching" (I'd rather see 50% less vertical space than have everything be half as tall as normal), and the "announcer" to have an option to be disabled. (The numbers and text being displayed is fine by me, I guess, but I personally don't like a voice being there at all. Not specifically that voice, just any voice in general.)

You really can't ask now about anything. I know they can delay it, but we are already 7(6) days from it. You can just hope it is there.

Right now there is nothing the devs can do to tweak the game.

To be specific, the game is being sent out to game shops. If there are any issues they could recall all the games and delay the game entirety (hopefully this isnt the case).

Right now there is nothing the devs can do to tweak the game.

To be specific, the game is being sent out to game shops. If there are any issues they could recall all the games and delay the game entirety (hopefully this isnt the case).

They already said Sonic mania will be digital only and if there was major issue they can patch/tweak it post-Release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back