Blown Fuse Zone, revision 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarbo the Black Sheep

Furry Composer
I made this zone because I wanted to set a standard for future 2D levels in both aesthetics and gameplay. I feel that I was successful, especially when I proved Mystic wrong about it being impossible to make a good 2D level. >=D

However, there is one noticeable flaw in the version I submitted to the contest: the outside section. It was completely rushed, and I shouldn't have done that. So I removed the outside section and replaced it with another inside section that is a bit shorter and contains two gimmicks rather than no gimmicks. Also, I have added a sort of Easter Egg to the level.

Click here to download Blown Fuse Zone.

I don't think that gimmick worked out for you there sonicmaster. It was very hard to get through those lazers. It also didn't really add anything to the level.

Well, I was able to get through it twice in a row, so I thought it was fine. This was done mostly because everyone complained about how the final section was so much worse, so I decided to make what I thought was a better one.

EDIT: I just did it again without getting hurt. If you didn't do this before, try a Spin Dash. The gimmick intended for you to use it.

You really should make more of your maps support co-op, SonicMaster.

The add on still felt like it was missing the motivation the rest of the level had, and I would have liked it more if it still ended outside.

Aside that, I would give it the same score, honestly.

Shame...and I was looking forward to this level too. It looked nice and I saw effort in your design (that I saw), but it really felt too rushed, like too much was missing. You will try to fix it up right?

I have lost almost all motivation at this point, because of how blasted difficult it is to come up with good ideas for 2D mode and how limited good level design is for it. I don't feel like making a second revision at this point. Maybe I will later, if I feel like it.

This level was pretty good for a 2D mode. I enjoyed most of it, but there were some flaws. The lasers were way too fast, slow em down a bit. I also saw this in some of your FOF's & 1 crusher especially the one with the blue crawla on it, half the time I missed it because I was trying to get some speed up D=. I didn't like some of those textures used especially the red & orange textures. The design & the gimmicks were pretty nice however. Other from that, a pretty good 2D map.

7/10

:SonicMaster: said:
I have lost almost all motivation at this point, because of how blasted difficult it is to come up with good ideas for 2D mode and how limited good level design is for it. I don't feel like making a second revision at this point. Maybe I will later, if I feel like it.

It's not like we're forcing you to fix it. Just get back to it on your own time.

Not everything is going to be flawless on the first try. Especially on a 2-D level.

The lasers were way too fast, slow em down a bit. I also saw this in some of your FOF's & 1 crusher especially the one with the blue crawla on it, half the time I missed it because I was trying to get some speed up D=.

Spindash for lasers; thok for moving platforms. I am not changing these gimmicks.

Let me section this.

Design (Aesthetic) [3-4 points]

Great design, this really is what many 2D maps need to have. Textures were well used and the music fits well to a metal factory sort of theme. The name itself may need changing to fit this though, but Blown Fuse has a ring to it anyway, albeit doesn't really fit.

Gimmicks [1 point]

New ideas, but could be improved. The onscreen text was helpful (as this was the first time I played this) to use it, but maybe the lasers could be shortened.

Design (Level) [3 points]

This was fun to play, as it contained most things that reminded me of Sonic 2, such as rising/lowering platforms. The execution of the zoom-tubes was a major factor in this review, as I loved how they were done. The only thing that holds this back is Sonic's air control, as he can't pull off a midair turn well.

Total - 7-8 points

I personally like the new section. It doesn't have the same aesthetic flair that the rest of the level does, but I like how it shifts the purpose of the WHOOSH hoops to make the player use them to their advantage and moves away from them being a cooler form of the zoom tube.

On an unrelated note, have you tried turning on analog mode in 2D? It really improves the cornering.

Whoa, this is honestly the best 2D level I've seen for SRB2. STJr could learn alot from this :P

Blown Fuse Zone, 10/10

Can't see anything wrong with it, keep up the good work!

Wow! Nothing to complain about. I played through it multiple times to explore the alternate paths. The lazers might be a little cheap but since I used to use cheap lazers too I don't care! ;D

I liked all the details and the switching foreground - background mechanism which ACTUALLY WORKS! O__o

I smell a lot of effort here. Maybe just make the lazers a little slower and everything would be fine for me.

Grading A+
Keep up the food work. :)

:SonicMaster: said:
Keep up the food work? Does that even make sense?

Notice how the "f" and "g" keys are right next to each other.

I've yet to play this remake. I'll play it tonight when I get on my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back