• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Week of SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST218

We have our bimonthly design contests, but...they're bimonthly.

So I had an idea, shamelessly taken from the ZZT community, that I was wondering if other people are interested in:

Week of SRB2

The organizer posts a theme to be designed around. This can be anything at all, from FOFs, to Lava, to Waterfall, to Darkness, etc. The level designers have to incorporate this idea in some way. How they do it doesn't matter. If the theme were "air", they could have a level take place in the air, they could have a level with an emphasis on wind, they could have a level in space or water with a few air pockets, etc.

The organizer also posts a limitation for the map. A specific gametype, barring a sector/linedef type(s), limiting the size of the map or the number of sectors/linedefs...again, anything.

Judging would be done by the public on the following criteria:

2 points for how well the theme was followed-a lava map with no lava loses out on some points.

2 points for aesthetics-how well the map looked and sounded.

4 points for the gameplay-is the map fun?

1 point for the limitation. If the mapmaker broke the limitation, they lose this point.

1 bonus point. If the mapmaker did something really well or had an exceptionally innovative idea or everything just seemed to click, they get this point.

Now, that's just my general idea. I suspect if people were interested, they'd most argue about the scoring idea. That, to me, is the most flexible part-I care more if there'd be participation than about the grading scale.

LATEST CONTEST: http://ssntails.sepwich.com/mb/viewtopic.php?p=265528#265528

I like the idea, but the problem is getting a sufficient amount of people involved for it to actually matter.

You'd need to give significant warning, however. A day isn't enough time to make a level. =P

Not a day to make a level, a week. Though that's good time, you could extend it to 2 weeks to see some extraordinary levels.

Yeah, two weeks was on my mind as well. Like I said before, I'm more interested in potential participants than the details-those can be worked out later. So, who's interested?

I think that's a cool idea. It could be one more way to inspire people to make a masterpiece.

Maybe we should move this post. Fantastic idea though it is, does it belong in Editing?

What I'm afraid of, however, is that we will end up with a lot of huge boxes full of enemies, or emerald starts or something if the theme is misinterpreted.

Sonicandtails218 is right. Any time you have a contest, you're going to get some bad submissions. But there will be some good ones, too, and we can just ignore or eliminate the bad ones.

What I'm afraid of, however, is that the majority of the levels will be lots of huge boxes full of enemies, or emerald starts or something if the theme is misinterpreted.

Fix'd, I didn't quite phrase it how I thought, but I suppose you can't stop bad maps. Oh yea, I'm participating in this by the way. Let's just see if we can't get more users to come participate.

This definitely looks interesting. If the category happens to be single player, I'll definately give it a shot. Don't expect any masterpieces, though.

Oh yea, I will only participate if single player by the way. Other levels just can't be enjoyed over and over like sp levels unless you constantly play multiplayer. (Which I don't).

Sounds like a great idea, but from what I have learned on this site is that 2 weeks is a short time limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back