v2.0 Match/CTF Preview (Updated July 1st, 2009)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I love the new Match & CTF rotation for SRB2ME, but I am suprised to see that Isolated Canyon, Metal Star, Dual Fortress, Tree Ring, Hydro Plant, and Starlit Warehouse (Too name a few) will be getting the axe in SRB2ME (As we already knew that Iron Turret will be getting the axe in SRB2ME anyway).

And I know that SRB2ME will be mainly based on Match, CTF, and Co-op, but will SRB2ME have new circuit stages?

It will have a few revised stages and some entries you may recognize from the OLDC, but its not really got the center of attention because the development team considers Circuit mode the lowest priority for the time being. The biggest improvement is the fact that Circuit mode is no longer as laggy as it used to be... but it is most certainly not at the stage the other gametypes are at.

---

As for the stages you listed, many of those played very poorly despite any popularity they might have had. It's also worth noting that the new system will make any of the older stage designs clearly outdated. Tree Ring, I believe, serves as a perfect example of an outstanding 1.09.4 stage that won't work in the new gametype simply because it wasn't made for the new system. For that reason, most of the returning maps have been revised, as you can see in the first post. Meanwhile, Jade Valley and Noxious Factory were able to make a comeback (to some extent) thanks to the new system which makes the size which ended up getting them canned beforehand actually work to their benefit.

There are also maps that try to live out a concept that has failed in the past. Hydro Plant obviously has its flaws as a water stage, so Mystic took what we have all come to know about it, and worked them into Tidal Palace. Noxious Factory was reworked to be less obnoxious with its factory gimmicks, and Infernal Cavern tries the hazard based gameplay again but this time with much more success.

You cannot imagine how much thought had gone into the design process of each individual level behind the scenes, even for those one might have expected to be a shoe-in. I believe Sapphire Falls and Silver Cascade are both good examples of very standard and memorable maps that were added very late in the development process because of the difficulty with converting them effectively.

I have 3 question:

1. Is the Match mode is gonna suport OpenGL ?

2. In CTF, does a command for spectacte is gonna be availible?

3. When you are hit and you have emeralds, do you loose them?

Will texture from the Cut level Zero Ring remain?
Also what music tracks are in 2.0/ME? (Just in case I need to port a track from 1.09.4)

Autosaver said:
1. Is the Match mode is gonna suport OpenGL ?

Nope

Well, I know some people who might get Open-GL for ME. :x

Elaborate?

OpenGL is broken, nothing more to it, if a team of 6 or so coders (some of the best ones in this community, I might add) can't figure out the problem, I doubt anyone here will be able to. We have Shuffle, after all.

You do realize that they know exactly what the problem is, right? It's just a matter of them actually getting around to fixing it.

IIRC there isn't any polyobjects in SRB2 2.0?

Can't remember if that statement is true, yeah I'll probably be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure SOMEONE on the dev team said that

I'll be honest, I haven't seen any polyobjects in ANY of the 2.0 videos. I wonder if they were designed to not have any polyobjects seen in them. =P

So for all we know, your polyobjects are about as good as a Zdoom Polyobject. Aren't they suppose to be better?

Do you know what a brush object is in the source or Unreal engine? A Polyobject is like the predecessor to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back