SRB2 Riders 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh... The nostalgia. I remember playing this mod back in 1.09.4. I love this mod so much because of nostalgia alone. Thanks for bringing this back from the dead.

I'm REEEEALLY out of the loop, so forgive my ignorance on this, but...the download here doesn't seem to include the executable. How do I get that?

I'm REEEEALLY out of the loop, so forgive my ignorance on this, but...the download here doesn't seem to include the executable. How do I get that?

You use the Launcher to point to the exe you want to use(dd or regular). It doesn't have a separate exe.

If im not mistaken, this is a lua based mod, so there shouldn't be an exe for you to use. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)

The launcher is actually the only way you can load the mod correctly, mostly because some of the main aspects of the mod can't be loaded correctly alongside the main wad (Riderlevels.wad) and the character wads.

If im not mistaken, this is a lua based mod, so there shouldn't be an exe for you to use. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)
Well, the launcher seems to have as default "srb2dd.exe", which is definitely not the vanilla EXE. And when I try to load it in SRB2win.exe, none of the Lua scripts work properly, the lap physics don't work, the air boards never appear, the powerups are broken, and basically the whole game is a mess.

That is really strange, I've tested Riders in srb2win, I swear it shouldn't be like that. But to be fair with you, me and Hitcoder use DD more than WIN for reasons, I'll mention this to him if he's in the mood. But if you want to launch the mod like it should be done, use the launcher to export the configuration to a .bat file and edit it to your pleasure. (That is, if you know how to edit one.)

srb2dd.exe is the Direct Draw version of SRB2, before the Win/DD split update that was our original .exe. Win is used for SDL2, so people with newer OS' like Win8 or Win10 can play smoothly. TL;Dr, it's the other .exe besides srb2win.exe.

So, I just played this. Some things were better than I expected, some things were worse, some things were the same.

First, the launcher is completely unnecessary. Next time include batch scripts instead. There's no reason for a new launcher when SF94's is already perfectly fine and actually remembers your settings. Moving on.

The maps in this port are still awful. I expected that, but it'd be nice if you at least touched them up, maybe fixed some of their super ugly texturing. Digital Dimension can be a total eyesore at times.

Onwards to gameplay. The boost delay is way too long. In the original game, I found myself spamming boost like there was no tomorrow while I had it. That's not possible here. You're stuck with the same low speed until the delay timer finishes, which is kind of boring. Another thing I found horrid was the drift. I don't remember how bad they were in 2.0, but the drift controls are really disorienting here. It's as if the drift direction is mapped to the opposite strafe key and it throws me off like crazy. I dunno what exactly happened with the grind rails, but it seems like they don't work at all anymore either, which is lame. Footracing mode I was honestly surprised you even included, it's basically vanilla race + doublejumps for some characters and jumpthok for Sonic. Onwards.

For some reason all the prints to the console printed twice. I don't understand why, and I really don't wanna bother looking into the code too much. I didn't run into any other errors, but I didn't play for very long either. From skimming over it, it looks like there are organizational issues within the code. Now, the mod itself doesn't suffer from this, but anyone trying to modify it does.

The graphics, at least, didn't have any display issues and were ported over perfectly fine. Some of them are still ugly, but I'm not gonna hound you over that.

I can't say much in terms of compatibility. I tested this in SDL2 with OpenGL and everything came out perfectly fine.

Lastly, this may be nitpicking, but I really don't like how you gave up on a lot of features because they weren't "easy to replicate". Lua in SRB2 is extremely flexible and looking at the things you're missing, I'm almost certain those are possible to replicate. Hell, some things are pretty easy! If you want to restore match/CTF compatibility, insert gametype checks in a whole lot of places and you're practically done. Lua also has support for custom linedef executors so trick ramps should be pretty easy to pull off too! The fly hoops are also about as easy as detecting and thrusting the player to the nearest hoop object. You shouldn't give up on things so quick without investigating what measures would need to be taken. Sometimes rewriting a feature entirely is better than porting it.

I get that this was intended to be a port, but it really upsets me that you didn't try and improve it in any way. SRB2 Riders had a lot of problems back in 2.0, and it seems that this port inherits essentially all of them, even moreso actually. Worse than that, the racing feels dumbed down. I hope that at some point you actually try to improve upon this mod, because I think Riders had a lot of potential wasn't met due to poor implementation.

Thanks for the review Wolfy, I know this port is under average, and while my only defending excuse is that the people I worked on this with didn't have the skills to bring back the grind rails and fly hoops and such, we did our best to make our best parts of Rider's come back to life. This mod was actually supposed to be a mashup of Final Demo's gameplay, and some of 2.0s gimmicks, easy to say, it could be better. I honestly wish I could make the Speed/Fly/Power shortcuts more useful. If I really wanted to experiment with this mod, I'd want to bring back those few features. But I'll be honest- it's gonna be one hell of a remake, since Hitcoder overhauled most of the character lua to decrease lag, I hope that if an addition comes into place, it doesn't lag the whole thing to hell. (I'm trying my best not to ask for help here...)

srb2dd.exe is the Direct Draw version of SRB2, before the Win/DD split update that was our original .exe. Win is used for SDL2, so people with newer OS' like Win8 or Win10 can play smoothly. TL;Dr, it's the other .exe besides srb2win.exe.

Thanks. Where exactly can I download it?

Didn't have any chance to work on the mod, but a new lua file has been added to enhance racing experience.

EDIT: I also didn't have anytime to make this update. It will be available in about at least 2 hours, when I'm not running around everywhere.

Last edited:
Oh noes a double post!

Hi 2.1.15, and happy Bornday Inu!

If the slope physics are what I hope to be when I get a chance to play 2.1.15 a week or two from now, expect a slope update with smoother riding(and better ramps) around June.

EDIT:

Speaking of the Riders Mod...

SpryPeskyKitfox-size_restricted.gif

F.Sonic in Riders is the only way to play.

Yeah um, not sure what to do about that in particular... F-Sonic Rider, MotorRoach?

Last edited:
Nice to see 2 of my old Nights levels are still in working order. I was actually considering re-purposing them as special stages as well as giving them some needed level design tweeks too.
I know that Barren Ambition needs some work.

Fun fact: not only do I have limited time on certain weekends to actually touch the Riders mod, but I'm a horrible procrastinator. I understand how slopes are supposed to be placed, except I don't really know how to handle the slopes in Riders levels. Ramps back in it's time used tons of tiny sectors with a raised height to give the illusion of a slope pre .15, but now I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to make slopes ala front sector and back sector with Rider's "ramps". The only other thing I could do is use linedef action 386 on all the ramps and get the same result. But apparently it's supposed to be removed by 2.2. In other words, I don't really know what I'm doing and I would like to see if any slope modder can fiddle with the front and back sector slope actions and let me (and anyone else for that matter) know how you did it. The update might be longer than expected, sorry folks.

Linedef type 386 is the slope linedef type for SRB2CB. You should try linedef type 700 and its associates.

Hell, 2.1.15 really shouldn't have shipped with support for linedef types 386 et al.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back