SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > SRB2.org > News

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #21
Autosaver

With SRB2 being one of the first communities I was glad to be a part of, I had to watch the reunion interview. I did have a couple questions that I want to ask that weren't necessarily covered in the interview that revolve around the community.

1) Developers come and go on the staff and so do people within the community. I used to post quite a bit back in the day (5,439 posts... I had too much time on my hands) but I have not been active in years. Does the staff miss interaction with specific users/seeing users move on?

2) Do you believe a game like SRB2/SRB2's Community would succeed in today's environment?

[My Perspective Below]

I personally believe it wouldn't, as I remember the internet revolving around websites with free games such as MiniClip and so on. With the newer generations growing up on mobile, I don't think they have as big of an issue finding new games to play. Same deal with the community as I've seen many message boards die through the years as people move on and more general websites like Reddit being the focus for online discussion in gaming communities.

3) Has SEGA reached out to the SRB2 staff at all? I know the interview mentioned if they were asked to work on a Sonic game would they accept it, so I'm assuming no in the hiring department but I'm talking more in a general "Cool game you guys got there", I'm also kind of curious if they ever saw SRB2 as a threat as they saw SonicGL.

Edit: Oh, I liked the question about mods within the community. I remember the one JTE mod being huge at the time.

Last edited by Autosaver; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:49 AM.
Autosaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #22
toaster
トースタちゃん

Not a dev anymore, but my understanding is that the closest thing to acknowledgement in a public sphere was Aaron's "hi sonc" comment (via the official Sonic account) on ProJared's video, around the time they were earning PR points for publicly stating they wouldn't take down fangames in the wake of AM2R.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #23
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autosaver View Post
2) Do you believe a game like SRB2/SRB2's Community would succeed in today's environment?

[My Perspective Below]

I personally believe it wouldn't, as I remember the internet revolving around websites with free games such as MiniClip and so on. With the newer generations growing up on mobile, I don't think they have as big of an issue finding new games to play. Same deal with the community as I've seen many message boards die through the years as people move on and more general websites like Reddit being the focus for online discussion in gaming communities.
This wasn't directed at me, but I feel like chiming in, since it's an interesting question to consider.

I think it's important to keep in mind that SRB2 became a thing only shortly after the internet started to become more of a mainstream thing. Places like Newgrounds, Sonic Fangames HQ and the like were always niche; the difference now is that the internet has become way more robust, with websites like Reddit and Steam appealing to a much lower common denominator. Most of these people would never have gotten into these side communities regardless.

To put it another way, it's not necessarily that less people are getting into these sort of communities, but rather that the global internet population is increasing, and so it makes us look small by proxy.

Message boards do die out and websites of olde tend to go extinct, but that's nothing new. If the community is strong, it always finds a way to survive, and that's been the case for a surprisingly large number of the sites I used to frequent -- SRB2, Spriters Resource, SMW Central, VGMusic are all still up and decently active. There is a fair question as to whether the mainstream websites are a bit overcentralizing to the point where they steal too much oxygen from splinter communities, but I think that ultimately people still want those more localized connections, and you can't quite get that from Reddit or Youtube.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote