Suggestions

Some scattered thoughts on things throughout the game, which may or may not have been brought up here before:

Most important:

* Control setup profiles if possible. For experimenting and using multiple controllers this would rock. Setting two keys per command is great but not quite enough.

* Netplay connection warnings about needing certain large files or having to unlock a stage first should not force the game to close. Incredibly irritating. Anything that can be done?

* Classic Race results screen is, in most cases, a freaking indecipherable mess with 4+ people. Was reversing the categories around (names on the rows, stats on the columns) ever tried? Though i'm not sure that would be much better. So, if nothing else, can you try rigging it to only display the efforts of the top 3-4 finishers?

* Save system thoughts: First, before changing anything, add a "no save" slot. Then obviously prevent it from sticking you with less than 3 lives when it autosaves. As for real changes...er, without knowing how the full game will play out (or having even been able to finish Egg Rock yet) I got nothing decent. I beat around some ideas in my head for a Sonic Advance-esque system, but I fear that'd be treading too close to "too many ways to do too little", and would just support grinding for extra lives to beat the end.

General ideas:

* Seperate sets of special stages for Tails and Knuckles (each). The existing maps, I don't know how outdated they are but they're built heavily around Sonic's limitations. Or, continue introducing more complex elements (hazards, checkpoints, so forth).

* For all the chances the game gives you to get all 7 gems, the tokens system is stacked too heavily in your favor. In general I suppose this can be fixed with hard enough special stages, but (taking into consideration the way the main game is mapped out) are there any better solutions than "grab this and you're good to go"? Might help the flow of the rest of the game too to come up with something.

* Obvious, but some (difficult) way to obtain continues would be nice. Not big on the thought of Bonus Stages though.

* If programmable, time attack replays should take into account presses of the rotate camera buttons in analog mode. They don't currently, so a replay I recorded of Techno Hill 1 sees Sonic do little except run and smack his face against the walls at the start...

* In the future, have time attack take note of which character you used to set your best time in an act, and display an icon accordingly

* Think about shaving down the flight time for Tails slightly. I imagine they did so in SA1 to keep him from being too omnipotent. Anything reasonable to balance the characters' limits a little. Any changes of this sort could pose a problem in netplay though...

* Ability to set up your multiplayer nick/character/color when not in a game, without the console (why this isn't the case now, is beyond me)

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing another cleaning run of all posts before this one. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I think it'd be cool if there was more Jungle scenery & enemies. Te new textures are cool, but something like a meat eating plant, or pirahnas that hunt you down, those kind of things. Just a thought.

a page system for unlockables so that if you have 15 you can see what they all are on the check list.

Maybe a new version of CTF where you grab the Neutral Flag in the middle of the stage and bring it to your base. It's a fight over the same flag.

Maybe an Assualt game type where you have to get your flag to the opponents base.

After reading over this topic, I have two things to say;

1. As far as character's go, I agree that the removed variables should be brought back. What happened to "if you don't like it, don't join it"? If noobs want their overpowered characters to play with their noob friends why can't they? Isn't the whole point of even HAVING a character editing system to let people play the game the way they want to play it? It seems to me that the whole concept of blocking characters for being overpowered takes away from the rights of the player.

2. The save files, similar point. People want to exploit it? That's them taking away the challenge for themselves, no different from using an action replay device or any other method of cheating. Don't the benefits greatly outweigh the risks? I know there have been times when I'm in the middle of an act or some such and I have to get off my computer for whatever reason, so I have to start all the way over, moreover the save system is not reliable, as I've finished two acts and a boss (techno hill zone I believe) along with two special stages and had to quit, and when I reloaded it the last save said I was at techno hill act 1 and I had to do it all over again.

These are just my opinions, I accept they may be flawed and would like to hear the reasoning behind the decisions made, but I felt like what I've said needed to be said.

EDIT: After playing through with some of the (few) converted wads I noticed allow super is removed too, how does a custom super form for added characters make them any more overpowered than sonic? If I'm mistaken and it's simply been changed to something else I apologize in advance, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
I really want a linedef type "Linedef Exec Trigger: Delay", where the linedef exec waits a specified # of tics until it executes. You can stack these together to make timed events -- none of that "Put gargoyle on conveyor!" hack I've seen on MAP92 for the water rising :)

Maybe X offset sets the delay; Y offset sets "delay before looping", or time-to-wait after the trigger executes and before the counter is reset to 0; and Block Monsters would set whether to loop the trigger.

I even made a test map! http://digiku.freepgs.com/files/test_linedefexecdelay.wad

What should happen is that,
Upon trigger: "You do know those aren't allowed on the plane, right?"
After 175 tics/5 seconds: "AHH! It's a hunky dunky supersized..."
After 315 tics/9 seconds: "Bugger me, what happened out here?"

And, well, it doesn't right now. 'cause there's no delay triggers. :P

Last edited:
A Tails CEZ/CTF style flag texture. The kind that used for the bases. It could be used to help designate a path for Tails Only.

3) New Trigger - Wait

Like "WAIT #" command, this can give a "delay" between events. This could be used when level designer wants certain events don't be performed immediately after triggered.

I really want a linedef type "Linedef Exec Trigger: Delay", where the linedef exec waits a specified # of tics until it executes.:P

Seems I can expect our idea will be implemented. ^_^

Howso? By way of "Gargoyle triggers linedef executor by way of conveyor belt?" Or I was told there was this linedef special that raised a floor and then it would trigger another linedef executor (and even that doesn't work all the time, I was told)

But those methods are imprecise, sloppy, and hard to calculate. And, most of all, hard to set up. I'd think it's way better to just explicitly set the # of tics to delay.

A Tails CEZ/CTF style flag texture. The kind that used for the bases. It could be used to help designate a path for Tails Only.

ctfflg08.png

CZ's flags
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j9hldy

Gargoyle triggers

Waterfall Valley Zone Act 2, by FuriousFox, had a gargoyle trigger. But gargoyles were used to count how many times you jump over a fake RedXVI's house; you jump three times and a CECHO "You are wasting your time/No secret here" shows up. A feature that could substitute that gargoyle trigger/counter would be a counter trigger:

2) New Trigger - # of Times

Activates events after an object has triggered this linedef # times. This could be used in new kinds of special stages, or in levels where you don't want the player uses same path # times.

Example: After a player has stepped on a sector X times, a door closes or level ends.

CZ's flags

Pretty. =)

Last edited:
The flags are merely to show which base you are going to, not to distinguish paths. There is a texture that has a sonic with a slash on his face to indicated that sonic can't get up to that area. It is also there for every character.

Code:
[13:49] <Kaysakado> Sonic needs an afro 
[13:49] <Nev3r> yes 
[13:49] <Kaysakado> when he's in the disco room 
[13:49] <Kaysakado> y/n? 
[13:49] <Nev3r> y 
[13:49] <RedEchidna> The idea is for it to not be taken seriously, BP 
[13:49] <RedEchidna> y 
[13:49] <BlazingPhoenix> y 
[13:50] <Kaysakado> That's 4 people 
[13:50] <Kaysakado> Majority Rule 
[13:50] <BlazingPhoenix> It  sounds like an awesome idea though

For emerald hunt, the old (and current?) system assigns the emerald spawns to three different thing types and allowing two of each to be placed maximum. I think it would be more entertaining to have a single thing type that can be placed a maximum of something ridiculous like 255 times and the game would randomly choose which three of the spawns to use each time the map is loaded.

Essentially, I'd love to create an intricate but accessible map that has like 10 different emerald locations. Randomly selected spawning points would give the map extreme variety for replayability mostly because the player would likely encounter new emerald locations for the first four times he plays the map. However, even the mapper himself would be kept guessing in terms of where the emeralds spawn THIS time. The old system basically came down to "Is it here? Oh, it must be in the other spawn then." on the mapper's end, which was a serious bummer.

Also, after that's implemented, something to do "for kicks and giggles" would be weighting the spawns so that a few occur somewhat more likely and others not. I'd love to see the look on a player's face when they not only realize that the deathtrap of lazers, crushers, and falling platforms is actually used for an emerald spawn but also that they have to go through it.

Actually, this is already implemented, but unfortunately it is broken in 2.0.4. Currently a maximum of 64 spawn points are available for the game to randomly choose from. This is fixed in 2.0.5. -Jazz

Last edited by a moderator:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back