Angel Pantheon [1.01] (scr_AngelPantheon.wad) UPDATED 3/13/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
After your new version, the level has changed, it is much more positive. There are again some glitches in some places about the room to run (especially the tunnels).
I had still struggling to find the passage, as old as the new version. Thus, I allowed myself to watch the level with the editor. I think the secret passage is much too hard for Sonic. But I think, however, that, magically, this "difficulty for Sonic" can be solved if the transition is placed further the level.
A portion of Level Design 101, SRB2 WIKI I advise you to read to learn more: "The difficulty level should be increased gradually as the player progresses.
I do not know if others designers feel the same as me, but I personally will not cast secret passages in the beginning.

... Ah, yes! Look at this screen, I could not go back Sonic :

srb20019.png
errorj.png

To fix this, I advise you just put a yellow spring.

He's saying he found a little gap between the DSZ blocks and the rock wall which Sonic can't jump out of.

And I disagree that a Yellow Spring should be used to solve the problem...it would work, but it's kind of a cheap solution, and anyone who comes across it will immediately know it's a quick patch.

A better design tactic would be to move the linedefs so that the gap is either removed or becomes too small to fall into. I recommend extending the block platform down the y-axis so that it meets the wall, to make it look as though it's embedded in the rock.

OR you could just move the rock. The design of the stone tile steps seems to be a recurring element in your level, so editing the rock instead sounds like it makes more sense to me.

OR you could just move the rock. The design of the stone tile steps seems to be a recurring element in your level, so editing the rock instead sounds like it makes more sense to me.
You're right.

EDIT: Just now fixed that. Thanks IE!

Last edited:
...Wait, first level?
This is an amazing first level! You have to keep mapping. You do have talent.

Anyway, I can't say much, as everybody else has said everything... mmm... Well, I never sigsev'd in the water part, and those strange visual glitches mentioned above happen all the time for me with no obvious fix, so don't worry 'bout them. I suppose it's just an artifact in the software renderer...

Also, I think that this topic has accumulated some of the best level advice ever for beginners. May I suggest putting it all somewhere, maybe on the Wiki...?

I don't know. Just seems to have a lot of good tidbits. Looking forward to the next release!

About the next version...

I'm in the middle of making a level pack, which includes this level as a
secret level. Should I continue working on it as a stand-alone level or just
update it in my pack?

From my personal experience, once I get rolling with a map, I don't stop 'till I'm done. Once I'm done, I tend to shovel all my work into one place.

I'd suggest you keep working on this until you're happy with it and go back to your pack afterward.

Unfortunately, I don't operate like that :-P
I tend to finish one thing and go straight to the next, occasionally going back and fixing little things. Do whatever you want. Keep this level until you perfect it or head to something else. A level pack sounds good...

"testing"
Tested and aproved.
The start looks good, because its fun jump in plataforms XD
The Gargoyle Gimick is pretty... let me see... good. But room is too small (in sides)
Next part is the flyings plataforms. They are small, but its the challange.
After this, level finish on water.

What is bad: Where rings?! Level dont have much rings, what is bad, because they are your protection.
Next is enemys. Because its the first level, try place more 2 or 3 in level.

6/10

You throw yourself in a level pack ? Why not. Your first level is exceptional, you have the means you create your own mini-game.
If it's any help, you can post a picture of your level in level select.
Quick little tutorial here, if you're interested !

==> Throw your level
==> In the console (key ²), enter :
showhud off ; chasecam 0
And press the Enter button.
Then, choose an appropriate location in the level and press F8. An image will be saved in your SRB2 folder.
It must then convert the image dimensions to 160x100. If you have no software to change the dimensions, can I recommend the software "Irfanview". Simple, fast, efficient. If you install it, open your image with this software, do CTRL + R, and put 160x100 in the boxes with numbers, then saves the image with the new dimensions.

To bring it into your game:
Create a file lump MAPXX
XX replaces the card number
Place your image in this lump, and the image will appear in the level select!

I hope this will encourage you to help you or for your game!

You throw yourself in a level pack ? Why not. Your first level is exceptional, you have the means you create your own mini-game.
If it's any help, you can post a picture of your level in level select.
Quick little tutorial here, if you're interested !

==> Throw your level
==> In the console (key ²), enter :
showhud off ; chasecam 0
And press the Enter button.
Then, choose an appropriate location in the level and press F8. An image will be saved in your SRB2 folder.
It must then convert the image dimensions to 160x100. If you have no software to change the dimensions, can I recommend the software "Irfanview". Simple, fast, efficient. If you install it, open your image with this software, do CTRL + R, and put 160x100 in the boxes with numbers, then saves the image with the new dimensions.

To bring it into your game:
Create a file lump MAPXX
XX replaces the card number
Place your image in this lump, and the image will appear in the level select!

I hope this will encourage you to help you or for your game!

I already know how to do that. But thanks anyway!

See change log
What change log?
Edit: Oh, that one in the download ZIP/RAR. Wouldn't it be better to just write it down here? People here are very skeptical about downloading things while not knowing what they are...
Testing now anyhow.

Last edited:
Oh, I was getting off point. I was asking like "why should I download this if even by screenshots there's nothing new".
Just played it, and the new segment looks nice. Short, but nice. Well... except that... THING... in the end... What was it? Looks like... some kind of a map/sign...

Oh, I was getting off point. I was asking like "why should I download this if even by screenshots there's nothing new".
Just played it, and the new segment looks nice. Short, but nice. Well... except that... THING... in the end... What was it? Looks like... some kind of a map/sign...

It's a code that the architects left. When my pack comes out with the cutscenes and what-not, you will see what it means.

About the changelog, alright, the first post will be updated.

The level is okay, albeit a tad short, but this spring here:

iaza19234471320700.png

Leads to a death every time for me. I suggest making it a blue spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back