Question about spriting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyanS

Hey!
I don't know a single thing about spriting so please go easy on me.

So, today I was trying to make a very simple sprite on Paint. I made it a lot bigger than regular characters's sprites (because drawing is rather painful with tiny things), but when I tried to resize it....
2m6lnci.png

Spriting is probably not Paint job. So my question is: which software was used to make SRB2's sprites? Or, is it obligated to work from the start with very small image?
PS: I don't need any criticisms about my sprite, an answer is the only thing I need.

Don't exactly know how SRB2's sprites were made, but it is very helpful to work with a small image rather than resize it.

Second, Paint is actually really good for spriting (at least, for me.) You just have to experiment and find what works.

Well, there are two things you could do:

1.) Use the hires flag for your character, which manually resizes the sprite to the size designated, or
2.) Use the free program "paint.net". It's like photoshop and paint fused together and made free. It's just as good as photoshop for editing as well.

MS Paint is perfectly fine for spriting. You just might want to use Paint.NET or something for resizing.

So according to all of you I can continue to make my huge sprites on MS Paint and then resize them with Paint.net....But how am I supposed to do that? I downloaded Paint.net but I can't use it (yeah, seriously). If someone here can explain me step by step how to resize my sprite without removing the pixels it would really help me.

It may look a little less clashing if you downscale the sprites through Paint.NET.

At the top is a tab called "Image". The resize button is in there. Be sure "Maintain aspect ratio" is checked so you don't accidentally choose a size that stretches your picture.

EDIT: Oh right. Don't forget to choose a filtering mode other than Nearest Neighbor. IIRC, that will give you a similar output as MS Paint.

Last edited:
At the top is a tab called "Image". The resize button is in there. Be sure "Maintain aspect ratio" is checked so you don't accidentally choose a size that stretches your picture.

Not working. Gave me the same thing as MS Paint. I think I'm just going to draw directly in the normal size. Anyway, thanks for the help!

MSPaint doesn't do things like anti-aliasing automatically, so its no surprise your 1-pixel-thick outline disappeared when you shrank it down. But otherwise, MSPaint is just fine for working with sprites - just stay away from having to resize stuff whenever possible.

Did you just recommend rotsprite for scaling, it'd shrink stuff just the same as MSPaint would, and through unintentional methods as it's point is to just rotate images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back