Hurricane Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic

Well, considering the size of this damn thing, I'm sure a significant amount of the community is being hit by this thing. Already had to clear the drain to the basement stairs because it had clogged and water was entering the basement.

As of posting this it's about to make landfall somewhere near the Delaware Bay, and I'm hoping the beach I like to go to makes it out okay.

Yay for middle North America~

I seriously hope no one important here dies. Or that ANYone dies, really.

My parents live up in the mountains in Connecticut. Because of this, the wind tends to get really strong where they are. In a much smaller storm last year there were microburst gusts that reached up to 100mph. Branches were flying into the windows and it sounded as if large rocks were smacking into the house. The microbursts were so strong that they snapped many trees in the area, two of which ended up falling on top of the house. The rains from that storm caused our basement to flood as well.
0610110952.jpg
And that was from a storm nowhere near the magnitude of this one. I'm away at college at the moment, and hope my parents will be all right. The area they're in has told them to stay put, I hope that's the right decision.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that the people with the most interesting stories are likely to be without power already, so it might take a while before we get the juicy bits. I've noticed a steady stream of people I know disconnecting and not reappearing as the night wears on.

About 7 million here in New Jersey without power while some are almost flooded in. Manhattan is dealing with it the worse though. 2 days without transportation, floods, ect. . . even some transformers exploded during the storm.

You know, I'm usually acting like a bitch who won't give a damn about the others, but honestly, I'm hoping the best for everyone affected by such a catatrophic hurricane, as I wouldn't really want to be in their shoes.

Anyway:
tuneles-ny-sandy-aumenta-tormenta20121030.jpg

METRO STATUS: WATERPARK ZONE

I Have no school today and it got cancelled tomorrow. NYC generally took a hit.

During the storm, the winds so high that my lights flickered on and off, biggest flicker being 3 seconds. Some of the tiles on the roof of my house flew off, and it flipped and moved the small water fountain in my backyard. Besides that, not much damage. I guess I'm lucky to live in an area of NYC where category 1 hurricanes don't do much damage. I saw some other pics and damage reports and it feels like my neighbourhood was shielded from the storm or something despite living 3 blocks away from shore.

During the Storm near me:
cesarbaynyc_368717.jpg

Last edited:
The part of the U.S. where I live generally doesn't get hurricanes coming through it. I'm fortunate to not be living in NYC or any of those places in the northeast that got hit big time by Sandy.

Being on the more western side of New York, we haven't been hit with anything. Despite the severe wind warnings that took place in our area yesterday, we never got hit by anything. The only thing we've got is just a fair bit of wind and rain.

With that said, I hope everyone around the eastern coast stays safe.

I have relatives in New York & Jersey,they seem alright last I heard, I hope you all are safe too. But look at the bright side at least it isn't a catagory 5 or anything.

Not really getting any hurricane like conditions considering I'm in a southern state and not NYC.

I still feel worried about the fact that Hurricane Sandy might do a U-Turn considering some of the wind we've been kinda getting and will probably go south or more east.

I doubt many people, if any at all, wish for others to get hurt by this storm, the only people I could think of hoping for that would be an iggnorant kid who hates another kid that might be affected by the storm. (Sorry if this seems to come off as rude)

I have an auntie who lives in Virginia, and her area was hit slightly hard. (I hope she stays okay, and safe.)

But, ever since she had to evacuate her house, it had a bit of minor damage from what I heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back