What makes a Noob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFireTheHedgeHo

The Uncontrollable Flame
This debate has been around since the beginning of online gaming and multiplayer, and I want to base it on opinions.
So I want to ask the members of the SRB2 Community:

What do you think makes a noob?

Noob.
The right definition of noob is someone who'se new to something, therefore he usually goes around doing a lot of stuff he usually shouldn't. Usually that comes out as someone asking a lot of questions when he joins a game new to him. Lots of other noobs on the internet though, use it as a way to offend each other. Unfortunate and throughoutly dissapointing.

Last edited:
Noobs are just people new at things. I don't know why people make fun of them, If everyone was a noob at one point. Noobs just need to learn what to do.

So almost everyone has the same opinion, Now heres another question
What do you think the noob should do first before asking a bunch of questions, or just in general?

The answer to that question should be obvious to everyone.

My answer to the first question would be: The more you complain about "noobs" or just even use the word, the more you become/stay one yourself.

I think the noob should actually keep asking questions. Questions is the way to learn. And if you don't teach the noobs, then you will keep getting bothered by them.

Noobs? Well, I woudn't say "Somebody who does things that shoudn't", more like "Unexperienced person who unconsciously screws up" we use Noob alot when playing paintball.

And doesn't the Noob word from the army when people used to call them "New Boy"s?

I swear newb and noob were generally considered two different words. One stands for someone being new and the other is usually just used as an insult.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie
Guess I'm wrong. Newb(ie) and noob are the same things.
Newbie or noob is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity. Contemporary use can particularly refer to a beginner or new user of computers, often concerning Internet activity, such as online gaming[1] or Linux use. [2][3] It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment.
But then there is another link to the word noob in the article.
Within Leet, the term n00b, and derivations thereof, is used extensively. The word means and derives from newbie (as in new and inexperienced or uninformed),[9][12][14] and is used as a means of segregating them as less than the "elite," or even "normal," members of a group. In almost all uses of the word, it is considered an insult.
I guess it depends on how it is used.

Last edited:
I who have already played several online games, I give you my perspective. I have not read any message before so as not to be influenced. I didn't read the WIKI, this doesn't interest me. I learn this myself by playing.

A noob is a beginner. Basic definition.
Then a player who write extremely poorly. His writing enrages some persons. The noob does not use, moreover, smileys, or very a little, which depletes the text. Personally, I do not use smileys or rarely, but it's payed by a good writing !
And his absent-mind made ​​him of a weak mind of the online game, he is not responsible enough, for example. He can not manage severals players without help ...

It is only my opinion, I will now take a look to others messages.

EDIT :
Noob is a slang term to describe new players, but people commonly use it in an insulting manner.
+1

Last edited:
Newbie is the term to describe new players.

Noob is a slang term to describe new players, but people commonly use it in an insulting manner.

/topic

The reality is that language, especially slang, changes over time. "Newbie" is an outdated and generally unused slang term for someone who is new to the community and generally ignorant as to the customs and conventions in the community. It wasn't always used as an insult, although it certainly sometimes was. "Noob" (or n00b, noobie, or all sorts of leetspeak variants that fortunately aren't used much anymore) is a common term for an idiot. It used to mean someone who was new and simply didn't care that they didn't fit in and wasn't willing to bother learning the customs and conventions of the community, but at this point the original meaning as a derivative of "newbie" doesn't really apply anymore. The word just means "annoying nuisance", regardless of whether or not they're new.

Here's how I was taught:

Newbie/newb: Someone who is new to a community, game, etc. and inexperienced, but is mature and willing to learn the ropes.

Noob/n00b: Someone who is new and outright refuses to listen to anyone's advice, continues doing stupid things, and then explodes when staff tells them to stop breaking the rules.

Nub: A knob on some electronic gadget. I don't know why people use this spelling to mean n00b, as it collides with a different word that has a totally different pronunciation. Needless to say it is one of my pet peeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back