What's Your Keyboard Layout?

I'm willing to bet that I'm the only one with my control setup and that's because I almost exclusively play SRB2 with a Nintendo 64 controller, and I have the entire time I've been playing.

Though with the recent removal of autoaim I've started to use it in combination with the mouse during match. (i.e. one hand on the controller and the other on the mouse).

Anyway, controls:
Movement = Joystick
Jump = A
Spin = B
Ring Toss = R
Strafe Left = Z
Strafe Right = C-Left
Look Up = C-Up
Look Down = C-Down
Next Weapon = C-Right
Toss Flag = Up or Left
Center View = L

And when in match I've just got my mouse as:
Jump = Left Click
Spin = Scroll Wheel
Ring Toss = Right Click
Next Weapon = Scroll Up
Previous Weapon = Scroll Down

The only issue is my controller choice doesn't leave me with very much room for extra buttons, but I could work something out.

Ok. Here is mine:

W: Forward
S: Back
A: Strafe Left
D: Strafe Right
LShift: Spin
Space: Jump

Mouse 1: Ring Toss
Mouse wheel: Next/Prev weapon
Numbers 1-9: Weapon slot
T: Chat
Y: Team chat
Q: Toss flag

Mouse move: Move camera
E: First person camera on/off
R: Reset camera

I don't have move camera up, down, left or right. And don't have turn left/right buttons too. I think they are useless.

I don't have move camera up, down, left or right. And don't have turn left/right buttons too. I think they are useless.

They're useless depending of the gametype you play, in match it's obviously useless but it's still usefull in co-op.

So this seems popular, I guess. Let's see if I can remember my layout.

Arrow keys: Movement (left/right for turning, not strafing)
Z: Jump
X: Spin
C: Toss Ring
< and V: Rotate camera left and right (rarely used outside Objectplace mode) (< is to the left of my Z key)
Page Up, Page Down, and End: Rotate camera up, down, and reset the up/down rotation, respectively
A and D: Strafe left/right (though I might map those to Right CTRL and Numpad 0 soon)
R: "Reset camera"(?)
F: Toggle first-/thirdperson
L: Drop flag
Y and U: Say and team-say (though not that I need those as I have yet to find a server with <100 ping)
B, N and M: Lua Custom actions 1, 2 and 3
Tilde: Console (tilde is the thing left of 1)
Number row, Q and E: Weapon slots, previous weapon and next weapon
Tab: Show scores/emblem amounts/whatever

Mouse unused.
W, A, S and D: Movement (A/D for strafing, not turning)
Space bar: Jump
Left CTRL: Spin (if I had it at shift, I would have to spin whenever I'd open the Steam Overlay. OpenGL mode is 100% compatible with the overlay if launched through Steam, dunno about Software mode)
R: "Reset camera"(?)
F: Toggle first-/thirdperson
L: Drop flag
Y and U: Say and team-say (though not that I need those as I have yet to find a server with <100 ping)
Z, X and C: Lua Custom actions 1, 2 and 3
Tilde: Console (tilde is the thing left of 1)
Number row, Q and E: Weapon slots, previous weapon and next weapon
Tab: Show scores/emblem amounts/whatever

Mouse used.
Left mouse button: Toss Ring
Right mouse button: Toss Ring normal
Mousewheel scroll up/down: Previous and next weapon
Mouse: Aim
Numpad 5: Forward
Numpad 1: Turn left
Numpad 2: Backward
Numpad 3: Turn right
Numpad 4: Strafe left
Numpad 6: Strafe right
Right CTRL and right Shift: Jump and spin, respectively, though may be changed soon to accommodate for Right CTRL being used for player 1 strafe left
I actually have done in my AutoExec.cfg so if I type FPS in the console, it will switch to the firstperson layout, and if I type JoyStick, it will switch to the thirdperson layout.

I used to play with a wireless PlayStation 3 controller before 2.1, but I can't currently find it. Though that hasn't stopped me. I have beat singlepony mode as Sonic (& Tails), Tails, and Knuckles with just my keyboard.
srb2_ps3_layout_by_thezeroteam-d7d3jy2.png

As you can see, that leaves 4 free buttons (the red circle, green triangle, and the sticks, as they can be pressed down). Though this is just made up in my mind, so there may be some things I could assign those 4 buttons to.

Forwards: W
Backwards: S
Strafe left: A
Strafe right: D
Camera Toggle: R and F
Toss Flag: E
Jump: Mouse 1
Spin: Mouse 2
Next Weapon: Mouse 3
Previous Weapon: Q
Center View: Caps Lock

Aiming Binds:
bind c "crosshair cross; mousesens 38; mlooksens 20; Gr_Fov 105"
bind x "crosshair angle; mousesens 25; mlooksens 10; Gr_fov 105"
bind v "crosshair point; mousesens 19; mlooksens 9; Gr_Fov 45"

To bad Mlooksens is gone... and Gr_Fov isn't used in multiplayer otherwise I would have such good use out of it. :(

My Keyboard Layout is AZERTY, but when i'm playing in the game and i press A it Becomes Q and:
Q=A
Z=W
W=Z
,=M
M=;
(Don't know why ?)

- Key Bindings
W - Forwards
S - Backwards
A - Strafe left
D - Strafe Right
V - Toggle Chasecam
A & E - Switch Weapon
G - Toss Flag
C - Toss Ring Normal
Right Mouse Button - Jump
Left Mouse Button - Toss Ring
TAB- Show Scoreboards

They're useless depending of the gametype you play, in match it's obviously useless but it's still usefull in co-op.
Depends on a person. I can make quick turns and "thock back" as Sonic only if I use mouse. For Tails there was easier to control the strafefly with a mouse before and You can decide better with a mouse where will Knuckles glide. That's why I always use mouse. For first it's hard to control third person with a mouse but it will feel normal and easy after a week or two.

Last edited:
Here would be mine.

USB Keyboard:

Forward: Up Arrow
Left: Left Arrow
Right: Right Arrow
Backwards: Back Arrow
Jump: /
Spin: .

That's it those are my controls.

I am a keyboard player and I hardly ever use keyboard and mouse...

Z = Jump
X = Spin Dash
C = Fire Ring
V = Toss Flag
WASD = Strafe
Arrow Keys = Move
Q & E = Toggle Weapons Left and Right
Shift or Enter = Scores
Page Up = Look Up
Page Down = Look Down

It's pretty simple really and I'm even surprised that I don't have a hard time in Match or CTF.

I play keyboard in 3rd person, keyboard + mouse in 1st for shooting gametypes (like anyone does multiplayer anymore)- latter is optimal, but seeing the character is part of the fun and I don't like mouse turning without a reticule.

W - Forward
A - Strafe left
S - Backward
D- Strafe right
Left arrow - Turn left
Right arrow - Turn right
E/Space bar - Jump (index finger makes thokspamming easier, thumb lets me hold the key down for high bounces without compromising strafing)
Q/Middle click - Spin
Left click - Ring shoot
Right click - Normal ring shoot
Mouse 4 - Weapon slot 2
Scroll up/down - Change weapon
Left shift - Toggle chasecam
F - Reset camera (holding this down vertically centers the view for maximum auto/scatter efficiency- what I wouldn't give for one more decent match to try this in!)

Last edited:
Movement: Arrow Keys
Strafe: A - D
Jump: Z
Spin: X
Ring throw: C
Toss Flag: F
Numbers: Select wepon ring

I don't really like strafing or playing Match, so this is my setup for Single Player/Coop/Race or Competition

Up/Down/Left/Right - Obvious
Where things go crazy:
D for jump, S for spin, A for fire
W for strafe right, Q for strafe left
Space to toss flag, E to swap rings

Here's what I use nowadays... as far as I remember.

Move Up = W
Move Down = S
Strafe Left = A
Strafe Right = D
Jump = Spacebar
Spin = X
Ring Toss = C
Scores/Rankings = R
Talk Key = /
Custom Ability 1 = E
Custom Ability 2 = F
Custom Ability 3 = G
Console = Tilde (~)
Toggle Chasecam = V

Last edited:
WASD - Move/Strafe
Space - Jump
F - Spin
Mouse1 - Fire
Mouse2 - Alt Fire
Mouse Wheel - Weapon Select
Number Keys - Weapon Select
Mouse4 - Center View, whatever that's called now
Z - First person camera alias bind
X - Third person camera alias bind

I'm willing to bet that I'm the only one with my control setup and that's because I almost exclusively play SRB2 with a Nintendo 64 controller, and I have the entire time I've been playing.

That's really neat. How do you do that? I've got an N64 controller, but it'd be pretty cool if I could use my Saturn controller with SRB2. I tried my PS3 with ds3 tool but I don't like the d-pad on those controllers for anything other than fighting games.

I tried my PS3 with ds3 tool but I don't like the d-pad on those controllers for anything other than fighting games.
...Why would you even use it in the first place? The analogue stick, however, is a joy to use in Sonic Robo Blast 2 when combined with analog mode (so that when you move the stick left, you move left instead of turning left).
In the joystick options, one can set axises for movement, turning, strafing, aiming, and also firing and normal firing (though why one would want to use axises for throwing rings I dunno). Sadly analog mode is only allowed in offline play.
And Sonic Robo Blast 2 supports the PlayStation 3 controller completely (except for opening the pause menu, only doable with the Escape key), if set up via MotionInJoy at least. Just be sure to not set it as Xinput or XBox 360 emulation. If you do that, you can only use 8 directions on the sticks, and only in 100%, just like if you used a keyboard.

Now you know that stuff, I think I can give a quite optimal layout for the PlayStation 3 controller. Which I did earlier, but whatever, I like it.
I used to play with a wireless PlayStation 3 controller before 2.1, but I can't currently find it. Though that hasn't stopped me. I have beat singlepony mode as Sonic (& Tails), Tails, and Knuckles with just my keyboard.
srb2_ps3_layout_by_thezeroteam-d7d3jy2.png

As you can see, that leaves 4 free buttons (the red circle, green triangle, and the sticks, as they can be pressed down). Though this is just made up in my mind, so there may be some things I could assign those 4 buttons to.

Sometimes when I'm on my laptop and don't have a mouse (and I'm only playing Single Player} I set up my controls as such:

WSAD: move and strafe
Space: Jump
Down arrow: Spin
Left and Right arrows: turn
Up arrow: Custom action 1 (sometimes I use a boost mod :V}

Motioninjoy is what I meant when I said DS3. And I just tried using it because why not. Unfortunately I don't have Sony's first part controller anymore so my wonderful third party controllers from Wal-Mart don't really work with Motioninjoy.

That's a great layout though, too bad it leaves out strafing.

Motioninjoy is what I meant when I said DS3. And I just tried using it because why not. Unfortunately I don't have Sony's first part controller anymore so my wonderful third party controllers from Wal-Mart don't really work with Motioninjoy.
...Oh.

That's a great layout though, too bad it leaves out strafing.
Actually it doesn't. Left stick up/down is for movement, and right stick up/down is for looking, and right stick left/right for turning, yep, that's all true.
But left stick left/right is for strafing, since in analog mode, even strafing left makes you face left (or right, if you strafe right), plus strafing is a really good thing to have in netgames where you need to be able to aim and such, so I wouldn't leave it out.
So by "movement", I did really mean "movement". :P

And yeah, it's a good layout, based on modern Sonic games (more specifically Sonic 2006, surprisingly), and it works really well, as far as I remember.

Edit: omg lulz page 3 fist pots (Don't take that seriously, please.)

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back