NIGHTS Special Stages for Tails & Knuckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some time I've been questioning if any character other than Sonic would be able to enter the NIGHTS special stages and acquire Chaos Emeralds so they can obtain the Good Ending.

I think it would be sort of like how sonic into dreams is set up now. Knuckles and Tails would turn into super sonic. Because...um....magic.

Maybe the devs would take some more time to make sprites for Knuckles and Tails for the special stages, so everyone can get the chaos emeralds as any character, and the other characters form wads would be Super Sonic

Well, to the best of my knowledge as someone who isn't actually part of the development team, every character is going to be able to enter the special stages and collect the chaos emeralds. But you will always control super sonic when inside the special stages.

It would be a nice touch if there were new sprites made for NiGHTs mode Tails and Knuckles, but I imagine any spriting done by STJR will be focused on new level textures and new boss + enemy sprites instead. So it seems unlikely.

(If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me)

Well, if new sprites are ever done for Tails/Knuckles, I'm guessing Tails' flight could be styled after his running animation, but drawn in additional angles, while Knuckles gets his gliding sprite, also in extra angles.

Well, if new sprites are ever done for Tails/Knuckles, I'm guessing Tails' flight could be styled after his running animation, but drawn in additional angles, while Knuckles gets his gliding sprite, also in extra angles.

Or maybe just Super Tails and Super Knuckles. With Super Knuckles actually being pink. It would also be great if they could transform too instead of just sonic, but it seems unlikely, even though they could transform in Sonic 3.

I think you're all forgetting one thing guys; characters already use all frames up to lowercase o since Super transformation was added. That gives any character only 15 more free frames before the extended ASCII frames (see here), which we DO NOT want to get to (see SRB2 Riders, which successfully shows why).

Normal NiGHTS Super Sonic flying alone uses up 18 frames on its own sprite (though really half of these are duplicates so lets call it 9), then drilling takes up another 36 sprites of its own sprite (4 drilling frames for each of 9 different angles). That's way more sprites than we have room for in a single sprite for a character. It's just too much to be practical.

Obviously one way around this would to seperate these into another sprite, but at this point something like this would have to wait for post-2.1 release if anyone will bother with this at all.

Last edited:
in the case of super knuckles, all he needs is a pallet change and he'll be as functional as he was in sonic 2, S& K stand alone, and S3&K before the super emeralds.

Last edited:
in the case of super knuckles, all he needs is a pallet change and he'll be as functional as he was in sonic 2, sonic 3 stand alone, S& K stand alone, and S3&K before the super emeralds.

You don't play as knuckles in Sonic 3 alone.

All characters will be going into the special stages and will become Super Sonic when that happens.

It doesn't make logical sense, I get it.

But it's what we're going with. There's a million "Could do" options available but all of them are a waste of time and energy better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
We all know that the real solution is to play as Super Eggman in the special stages, who flies around collecting blue rotten eggs and spreading his own sulphurous odour throughout the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back